NFL cuts USFL prospects?

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
MGB01
MVP

NFL cuts USFL prospects?

Post by MGB01 »

We're still waiting for something as August has passed, so a look ahead to who might take the field for USFL teams in the spring. And while the 'name' temptation lurks (OMG CAM NEWTON!!!!!), the reality is the structure isn't, nor would it be in a normal build, there to afford him to step on the field for even one series. So we jump to the more realistic targets.

One that I mentioned from when he signed with the Seahawks in June, Travis Toivonen, who played in FCF (and was their first alum to go the NFL), caught two passes for 32 yards in the preseason. Nate Holley, former CFL ROY and brother of ex-Roughneck Nick, is potentially another prospect.

Anthony Gordon, Devlin Hodges, Jordan Ta'amu, and possibly Taylor Heinicke would be among the ideal QB targets (obviously pending availabilty).

Time to get rolling (possibly past).
4th&long
MVP

Re: NFL cuts USFL prospects?

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:09 pm We're still waiting for something as August has passed, so a look ahead to who might take the field for USFL teams in the spring. And while the 'name' temptation lurks (OMG CAM NEWTON!!!!!), the reality is the structure isn't, nor would it be in a normal build, there to afford him to step on the field for even one series. So we jump to the more realistic targets.

One that I mentioned from when he signed with the Seahawks in June, Travis Toivonen, who played in FCF (and was their first alum to go the NFL), caught two passes for 32 yards in the preseason. Nate Holley, former CFL ROY and brother of ex-Roughneck Nick, is potentially another prospect.

Anthony Gordon, Devlin Hodges, Jordan Ta'amu, and possibly Taylor Heinicke would be among the ideal QB targets (obviously pending availabilty).

There will be pick ups and drops over next couple days and still into week 1/2, after that things will solidified. Dallas's Gilbert may be interesting.

I was thinking about USFL structure, could they have a hybrid paid/unpaid roster. Ie QB's and 1/2 names a team, rest unpaid. Wuld that working legally? and allow them to attract QB talent.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

4th&long wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:43 pm
MGB01 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:09 pm We're still waiting for something as August has passed, so a look ahead to who might take the field for USFL teams in the spring. And while the 'name' temptation lurks (OMG CAM NEWTON!!!!!), the reality is the structure isn't, nor would it be in a normal build, there to afford him to step on the field for even one series. So we jump to the more realistic targets.

There will be pick ups and drops over next couple days and still into week 1/2, after that things will solidified. Dallas's Gilbert may be interesting.

I was thinking about USFL structure, could they have a hybrid paid/unpaid roster. Ie QB's and 1/2 names a team, rest unpaid. Wuld that working legally? and allow them to attract QB talent.
Might be able to do it by comping, it's essentially same as paid/lower salary since they're replacing out-of-pocket expenses. That way you could you sort of have a "marketing player" setup like the early days of AFL2.0, plus since there are guys that got a pretty decent signing bonus as an undrafted, let that act as their "big salary" and then just do whatever til you can have an actual structure in place. Keelan Doss got one of the biggest signing bonuses ever for a UFA when the Raiders signed him two years ago, and Marvin Wilson did with the Browns earlier this year. In their cases they might be looking towards the "paid" end while a guy like Toivo might end up going towards the "comped" end for a year. Or MP/NMP might be a better designation.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

He's the backup to Ryan Fitzpatrick in Washington. And with Fitzpatrick being hot and cold, he could end up starting his share of games.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

GDAWG wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:44 pm

He's the backup to Ryan Fitzpatrick in Washington. And with Fitzpatrick being hot and cold, he could end up starting his share of games.
Hence possibly, never know if Ron Rivera decides to go Cam reunion.

There's still going to be 30 or so available QBs in the USFL's expected target zone unless they go full metal marketing
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

MGB01 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:09 am

Hence possibly, never know if Ron Rivera decides to go Cam reunion.

There's still going to be 30 or so available QBs in the USFL's expected target zone unless they go full metal marketing
He has said no to a reunion.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

True that!
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

So let’s pretend that the USFL only has the money to pay certain players up front or a signing bonus, as mentioned above, who would you pay? Not saying this will happen but I’m curious who, now that some of the smoke has settled from the first cut/resign to practice squad is over.

I was never more interested in an NFL preseason than I was 2 years ago. I was trying to watch and figure out what players would be a good fit in the XFL. One of the best things about the XFL for me was the unknown. Sometimes veteran players were the stars and sometimes the little known players really carried the teams. I think the XFL did a good job of choosing good quality players from the pool they had at the time.

So if you were in charge of the USFL and it was up to you, who is out there right now that’s not signed by any team practice squad or otherwise that would be worthy to lock into a contract? Any player position. This question is for anyone that wants to answer. Again, players to be PAID with limited funding, not just who is available.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Taylor Heinecke played today, but only because Ryan Fitzpatrick got hurt.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

And the Newton speculation has begun. Remember the only other QB (Kyle Allen) spent most of 2020 on IR so it's not like they have a proven durable backup. Oddly enough Josh Johnson could be an option to return as an alternative