NFL cuts USFL prospects?

The new USFL is set to play in 2022. Discuss it here!
herns
Running Back
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:53 am

Re: NFL cuts USFL prospects?

Post by herns »

Gopher123 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:10 am Clearly Chad Kelly is interested. Now the ball is in the USFL’s court. Go get him (unless they already have). The fit is too good for both sides. This is the signing the league needs to kick things off, much like the Landry Jones signing to the XFL. He was the highlighted first signing announced far ahead of the rest. IMO Kelly to the USFL is an even better fit.

Also, QB Danny Etling is off the free agent board for now. He was signed by the Seahawks to a role he held with them last year. Probably just backup insurance while Wilson is on IR but he will surely being trying to do what he can to stick around longer.
There’s work the easy pickups for the league like Ryan mallett, Bryan Scott, Ryan Willis along with Kelly and Etling. I hope they find a way to get Jamie Newman
4th&long
Head Coach
Posts: 1590
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:27 pm

Re: NFL cuts USFL prospects?

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:15 am
Gopher123 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:10 am Clearly Chad Kelly is interested. Now the ball is in the USFL’s court. Go get him (unless they already have). The fit is too good for both sides. This is the signing the league needs to kick things off, much like the Landry Jones signing to the XFL. He was the highlighted first signing announced far ahead of the rest. IMO Kelly to the USFL is an even better fit.

Also, QB Danny Etling is off the free agent board for now. He was signed by the Seahawks to a role he held with them last year. Probably just backup insurance while Wilson is on IR but he will surely being trying to do what he can to stick around longer.
There’s work the easy pickups for the league like Ryan mallett, Bryan Scott, Ryan Willis along with Kelly and Etling. I hope they find a way to get Jamie Newman
IMO the players are the EASY part (well good QB play isn't so easy). But Even QB's they have prior TSL and enough 2021 NFL camp/PS cuts to field 8 teams in 2022. Coaching is more important.

Based on TSL, AAF & XFL players landing in NFL/CFL they'll have plenty of players looking to play USFL for $0, if there's any pay that just makes it that much sweeter.
herns
Running Back
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:53 am

Re: NFL cuts USFL prospects?

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:21 pm
herns wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:15 am
Gopher123 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:10 am Clearly Chad Kelly is interested. Now the ball is in the USFL’s court. Go get him (unless they already have). The fit is too good for both sides. This is the signing the league needs to kick things off, much like the Landry Jones signing to the XFL. He was the highlighted first signing announced far ahead of the rest. IMO Kelly to the USFL is an even better fit.

Also, QB Danny Etling is off the free agent board for now. He was signed by the Seahawks to a role he held with them last year. Probably just backup insurance while Wilson is on IR but he will surely being trying to do what he can to stick around longer.
There’s work the easy pickups for the league like Ryan mallett, Bryan Scott, Ryan Willis along with Kelly and Etling. I hope they find a way to get Jamie Newman
IMO the players are the EASY part (well good QB play isn't so easy). But Even QB's they have prior TSL and enough 2021 NFL camp/PS cuts to field 8 teams in 2022. Coaching is more important.

Based on TSL, AAF & XFL players landing in NFL/CFL they'll have plenty of players looking to play USFL for $0, if there's any pay that just makes it that much sweeter.
I think that coaching won’t be too difficult for them tbh, they had some really great coaches in TSL and I’ve seen reports they’ve talked to Wade Phillips and spurrier for awhile, plus rick neuheisel. I’ve heard they’re expected to be a full pro league but until it’s confirmed who really knows, with fox taking the reigns it makes sense tho
4th&long
Head Coach
Posts: 1590
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:27 pm

Re: NFL cuts USFL prospects?

Post by 4th&long »

USFL will likely be closer to TSL than XFL in ratings but even 750k a game on broadcast TV (10 games reg season). Its a winner in yr 1, and players will want in.
herns
Running Back
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:53 am

Re: NFL cuts USFL prospects?

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:32 pm USFL will likely be closer to TSL than XFL in ratings but even 750k a game on broadcast TV (10 games reg season). Its a winner in yr 1, and players will want in.
I think if they have city affiliated teams and aggressively advertise like they claim they will they’ll have big ratings not far off xfl. I think the bubble affecting ratings is overstated
4th&long
Head Coach
Posts: 1590
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:27 pm

Re: NFL cuts USFL prospects?

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:20 am
4th&long wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:32 pm USFL will likely be closer to TSL than XFL in ratings but even 750k a game on broadcast TV (10 games reg season). Its a winner in yr 1, and players will want in.
I think if they have city affiliated teams and aggressively advertise like they claim they will they’ll have big ratings not far off xfl. I think the bubble affecting ratings is overstated
If you dug deeper into the XFL numbers you'll see that USUALLY the local team market did very well on TV another area that did well outside of markets was Ohio. So it will impact ratings. How much is yet TBD.

One thing about FB is its less driven by local fans than any other sport.

Also moving from a Feb-April (winter-early spring) to an April-July (spring-early summer) will have a noticeable neg impact on viewing. The Middle and Northern states are still cold in Feb-March and that helps people stay indoors. A move to early mostly spring means competing against spring itself, MLB, and NHL/NBA playoffs. I still think it does well, just not as good on TV as Feb to Mid-April.
Gopher123
Receiver
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:07 pm

Re: NFL cuts USFL prospects?

Post by Gopher123 »

4th&long wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:31 am
herns wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:20 am
4th&long wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:32 pm USFL will likely be closer to TSL than XFL in ratings but even 750k a game on broadcast TV (10 games reg season). Its a winner in yr 1, and players will want in.
I think if they have city affiliated teams and aggressively advertise like they claim they will they’ll have big ratings not far off xfl. I think the bubble affecting ratings is overstated
If you dug deeper into the XFL numbers you'll see that USUALLY the local team market did very well on TV another area that did well outside of markets was Ohio. So it will impact ratings. How much is yet TBD.

One thing about FB is its less driven by local fans than any other sport.

Also moving from a Feb-April (winter-early spring) to an April-July (spring-early summer) will have a noticeable neg impact on viewing. The Middle and Northern states are still cold in Feb-March and that helps people stay indoors. A move to early mostly spring means competing against spring itself, MLB, and NHL/NBA playoffs. I still think it does well, just not as good on TV as Feb to Mid-April.
As someone who lives in one of these states I can definitely say there is truth to this. Snow on the ground and cold temps make any outside activities very limited besides snowblowing/shoveling. Football gives me something to look forward to on the weekends and I can really focus on any game that’s televised. Mid April to May it’s nice to be outside and then traveling starts mid to end of May. The tv is off a lot after that. If football goes into late June I will still watch but many games I will watch days later. Some, though probably won’t watch unless they catch it live. How much this will hurt the ratings, I don’t know either. The positives are not competing directly with March Madness and for live games after 2022 not having low crowds due to the cold for northern teams.
herns
Running Back
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:53 am

Re: NFL cuts USFL prospects?

Post by herns »

Gopher123 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:33 am
4th&long wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:31 am
herns wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:20 am

I think if they have city affiliated teams and aggressively advertise like they claim they will they’ll have big ratings not far off xfl. I think the bubble affecting ratings is overstated
If you dug deeper into the XFL numbers you'll see that USUALLY the local team market did very well on TV another area that did well outside of markets was Ohio. So it will impact ratings. How much is yet TBD.

One thing about FB is its less driven by local fans than any other sport.

Also moving from a Feb-April (winter-early spring) to an April-July (spring-early summer) will have a noticeable neg impact on viewing. The Middle and Northern states are still cold in Feb-March and that helps people stay indoors. A move to early mostly spring means competing against spring itself, MLB, and NHL/NBA playoffs. I still think it does well, just not as good on TV as Feb to Mid-April.
As someone who lives in one of these states I can definitely say there is truth to this. Snow on the ground and cold temps make any outside activities very limited besides snowblowing/shoveling. Football gives me something to look forward to on the weekends and I can really focus on any game that’s televised. Mid April to May it’s nice to be outside and then traveling starts mid to end of May. The tv is off a lot after that. If football goes into late June I will still watch but many games I will watch days later. Some, though probably won’t watch unless they catch it live. How much this will hurt the ratings, I don’t know either. The positives are not competing directly with March Madness and for live games after 2022 not having low crowds due to the cold for northern teams.
I also love in a cold weather state and xfl 2020 showed here people will tune into football regardless of weather, at least in my area
Gopher123
Receiver
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:07 pm

Re: NFL cuts USFL prospects?

Post by Gopher123 »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootbal ... orley/amp/

I find this very intriguing. A former Grey Cup champion qb now looking for work. Talk about a guy whose next team could be anywhere! He could re-sign in the NFL or go back to the CFL. He could sign in the USFL or IMO would have been a good fit in the XFL. Or maybe, the XFL signs him to qb a potential team in Canada? At 26 years old he has time to make a career anywhere. I had some fun with this, thinking of the possibilities.
Post Reply