NFL cuts USFL prospects?

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
GDAWG
MVP

Re: NFL cuts USFL prospects?

Post by GDAWG »

MGB01 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:17 pm And the Newton speculation has begun. Remember the only other QB (Kyle Allen) spent most of 2020 on IR so it's not like they have a proven durable backup. Oddly enough Josh Johnson could be an option to return as an alternative
I think they'll give Heiniecke a chance first.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

There will be plenty of players available for USFL - Is there a good website for PS players or camp players that didn't make it? Assuming USFL plays, and I think they will.

For now its all CFB and NFL.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

4th&long wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:30 pm There will be plenty of players available for USFL - Is there a good website for PS players or camp players that didn't make it?
It's hard because any website that lists available free agents will focus on veterans, the kinds of players who wouldn't necessarily be on the USFL's radar. Figuring out who is out there who WOULD be on the USFL's radar would take quite a bit of legwork. I'd start by checking the list of NFL tryouts each day during the week.
@gregmparks
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

Not a complete list but this is who I have come up with. Mostly practice squad qbs with maybe some NFL game experience from the last couple years, who is currently available. No particular order.

Jake Dolegala, David Fales, Alex McGough, Chad Kelly, Clayton Thorson, Tyler Bray, Danny Etling, Anthony Gordon, Eric Dungey, Joe Callahan, Luke Falk, Connor Cook, Nick Fitzgerald, Ryan Finley.

I made a separate list of available veterans who have more NFL game experience.

Cam Newton, Robert Griffin III, Blake Bortles, Matt Moore, Kevin Hogan, DeShone Kizer, Cody Kessler, Joe Webb, Drew Stanton.

And finally a list of qbs that have played in the XFL,AAF, or TSL. I would think a number of these names would be on the USFL target list because of past relationships and willingness to play for free or a lower amount of pay.

Brandon Silvers, Jordan Ta’amu, Luis Perez, Philip Nelson, Landry Jones, Aaron Murray, Quentin Flowers, Cardale Jones, Ryan Mallett, Ryan Willis, Bryan Scott. And who knows, maybe Matt McGloin will give it one more try!!!
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Gopher123 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:27 am Not a complete list but this is who I have come up with. Mostly practice squad qbs with maybe some NFL game experience from the last couple years, who is currently available. No particular order.

Jake Dolegala, David Fales, Alex McGough, Chad Kelly, Clayton Thorson, Tyler Bray, Danny Etling, Anthony Gordon, Eric Dungey, Joe Callahan, Luke Falk, Connor Cook, Nick Fitzgerald, Ryan Finley.

I made a separate list of available veterans who have more NFL game experience.

Cam Newton, Robert Griffin III, Blake Bortles, Matt Moore, Kevin Hogan, DeShone Kizer, Cody Kessler, Joe Webb, Drew Stanton.

And finally a list of qbs that have played in the XFL,AAF, or TSL. I would think a number of these names would be on the USFL target list because of past relationships and willingness to play for free or a lower amount of pay.

Brandon Silvers, Jordan Ta’amu, Luis Perez, Philip Nelson, Landry Jones, Aaron Murray, Quentin Flowers, Cardale Jones, Ryan Mallett, Ryan Willis, Bryan Scott. And who knows, maybe Matt McGloin will give it one more try!!!
Matt Moore is 37 years old. It's highly unlikely any spring league will sign a QB approaching 40, especially one who has only played in the NFL.

Also Cam won't play Spring Football. He'll want to play in the NFL.
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

Yes, I agree that Cam Newton won’t play in the USFL. I was just trying to list the availabile veterans currently available. I would seriously doubt RGIII would play as well. I figured someone would point out that I left them off the list so I decided to include them. As far as anyone else, who knows how they may want their career to end? It’s very possible a good number of veterans wouldn’t be interested to play in the USFL but some could jump at the chance to play one last season.

Also, one name I realized I accidentally skipped over is JT Barrett. He played in the TSL a few seasons ago. I always thought he could be a very dynamic player if given the right opportunity.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Gopher123 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:41 pm Yes, I agree that Cam Newton won’t play in the USFL. I was just trying to list the availabile veterans currently available. I would seriously doubt RGIII would play as well. I figured someone would point out that I left them off the list so I decided to include them. As far as anyone else, who knows how they may want their career to end? It’s very possible a good number of veterans wouldn’t be interested to play in the USFL but some could jump at the chance to play one last season.

Also, one name I realized I accidentally skipped over is JT Barrett. He played in the TSL a few seasons ago. I always thought he could be a very dynamic player if given the right opportunity.
I still think it's highly unlikely that the USFL will sign a QB approaching 40, which is why Matt Moore should not be an option.
4th&long
MVP

Chad Kelly QB

Post by 4th&long »

https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2021/1 ... turn-2022/

>> Earlier this week, free agent quarterback Chad Kelly tweeted “USFL 2022 !!!” It might tempting to read into that as a sign that Kelly’s interested in joining the league — and that’s certainly possible — but the nephew of Jim Kelly might just be excited about the league as a neutral. <<
herns
Head Coach

Re: Chad Kelly QB

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:52 pm https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2021/1 ... turn-2022/

>> Earlier this week, free agent quarterback Chad Kelly tweeted “USFL 2022 !!!” It might tempting to read into that as a sign that Kelly’s interested in joining the league — and that’s certainly possible — but the nephew of Jim Kelly might just be excited about the league as a neutral. <<
Something that goes with this is there was rumors the league was interested in him as well. Easy to market him with the family history, play style, and on field personality
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

Clearly Chad Kelly is interested. Now the ball is in the USFL’s court. Go get him (unless they already have). The fit is too good for both sides. This is the signing the league needs to kick things off, much like the Landry Jones signing to the XFL. He was the highlighted first signing announced far ahead of the rest. IMO Kelly to the USFL is an even better fit.

Also, QB Danny Etling is off the free agent board for now. He was signed by the Seahawks to a role he held with them last year. Probably just backup insurance while Wilson is on IR but he will surely being trying to do what he can to stick around longer.