USFL - XFLnewshub article by Mike M

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
4th&long
MVP

USFL - XFLnewshub article by Mike M

Post by 4th&long »

https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/usfl-po ... um=twitter

>>USFL: Potential Head Coaches, Team Locations, Ownership Structure

The USFL relaunches next year. The name’s the same, but will this league have any resemblance or match the impact of its notorious predecessor? And how will the new owners of the property make the league work?

~
Ownership Structure Of The USFL

Brian Woods is the founder and CEO of the Spring League and now the USFL. Woods is not the sole owner of the Spring League; although he has the largest equity piece, he’s not the only investor. There are believed to be 11 members in total. Chief Strategy Officer Ezra Levine is one of the league’s minority investors. The main list of investors is not something that the league is disclosing at this time.
<<
Tank55
MVP

Re: USFL - XFLnewshub article by Mike M

Post by Tank55 »

Most newsworthy bits, IMO:
Several sources have indicated to me the genuine possibility that because of the short amount of time remaining for the USFL to set up shop in markets before their 2022 season, and for financial reasons, that the league could decide to play in an expanded hub city model next spring.
Sources have informed me that the USFL has already sent feelers out to Spurrier about getting him to come on board.
Another coach that the USFL is interested in landing is former longtime NFL veteran head coach and defensive coordinator Wade Phillips.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:33 pm Most newsworthy bits, IMO:
Several sources have indicated to me the genuine possibility that because of the short amount of time remaining for the USFL to set up shop in markets before their 2022 season, and for financial reasons, that the league could decide to play in an expanded hub city model next spring.
Sources have informed me that the USFL has already sent feelers out to Spurrier about getting him to come on board.
Another coach that the USFL is interested in landing is former longtime NFL veteran head coach and defensive coordinator Wade Phillips.
Yep - lots of good meat on the bones in this article.

As far as the hub city - I've posted my hybrid thoughts on that include cities in busing distance and for the others pure travel teams. Everything is on the table.

The Wade phillips push is very interesting. Spurrier would be a great gain.
It looks like Glanville would be on board as would Hal Mumme. Kevin Gilbride sounds interested but not sure where he will fall. Could June Jones join as well? I think Bart Andrus will be a HC. But Like MM said they need some names at there too. Singletary could be in the mix.

We now know work is being done behind the scenes at the USFL - which is likely better. No need to see how ALL the sausage is made.
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

The fact that Woods, with a net worth of $5 million, is the largest investor is troubling. Are we going to see indoor football level owners trying to run a 50+ man roster outdoor football league?
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:06 am The fact that Woods, with a net worth of $5 million, is the largest investor is troubling. Are we going to see indoor football level owners trying to run a 50+ man roster outdoor football league?
Not at all - who said that. He's the founder. Not the prime investor.

And as I've opined multiple times your aren't going to see 53 man rosters. It may not be TSL level 38 - but do you need 53 players for an 8-10 game season?

I see 40-44 with 42 likely and reserve players ready to suit up.

Also we don't know what they will be paid - if at all.
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

4th&long wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:15 am
laxtreme56 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:06 am The fact that Woods, with a net worth of $5 million, is the largest investor is troubling. Are we going to see indoor football level owners trying to run a 50+ man roster outdoor football league?

And as I've opined multiple times your aren't going to see 53 man rosters. It may not be TSL level 38 - but do you need 53 players for an 8-10 game season?

In the above statement it says he is not the sole investor, but has the largest equity in the league. At most we're looking at $10-15 million in upfront cash and whatever Fox is willing to spend, mainly in production costs. That being said, I'm not anti-USFL, I'm totally PRO spring football. As in I want to watch guys make a livable wage for putting their bodies on the line and not have this be a side gig or fighting for that 1 in 10,000 chance of cracking an NFL practice squad. That's where I think our disagreement stems from. You want to watch football, which I don't blame you, I believe it's the best sport in the world. I want to watch Pro football, and I just don't see B. Woods and Fox's minimal investment providing that. If they prove me wrong and establish a team in the NYC area, I'll be damn sure to be there opening game. However, with talks already receding to a bubble city 2.0 hybrid, I won't hold my breath on seeing the NJ Generals play in the Meadowlands next Spring.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:33 pm
4th&long wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:15 am

In the above statement it says he is not the sole investor, but has the largest equity in the league. At most we're looking at $10-15 million in upfront cash and whatever Fox is willing to spend, mainly in production costs. That being said, I'm not anti-USFL, I'm totally PRO spring football. As in I want to watch guys make a livable wage for putting their bodies on the line and not have this be a side gig or fighting for that 1 in 10,000 chance of cracking an NFL practice squad. That's where I think our disagreement stems from. You want to watch football, which I don't blame you, I believe it's the best sport in the world. I want to watch Pro football, and I just don't see B. Woods and Fox's minimal investment providing that. If they prove me wrong and establish a team in the NYC area, I'll be damn sure to be there opening game. However, with talks already receding to a bubble city 2.0 hybrid, I won't hold my breath on seeing the NJ Generals play in the Meadowlands next Spring.
Wait a minute - LAextreme is from NYC area? :shock: :o

NOW that is shocking!

As Hal Mumme said TSL player quality was on par with XFL or Canada (see his interview thread) - I agree - "On par" or "in ball park" it was close - I'd say XFL was a tad better but they paid QBs alot, and they had a much longer camp. The Lineman, Jousters or Generals could compete in XFL after 4 weeks of play IMO.

You are correct - I'm not as concerned about what they pay the players (especially at first) as long as its run professionally, and the players are professional on the field - why would I. The players are going there to get film, get coached up, and stay/prep to be in FB shape. Look how many got signed to the NFL/CFL after this TSL season. I posted quite a few on the TSL thread, but not all. And yes they may still need to prove themselves in NFL camps but TSL gave them that shot.
- I will say that's one of the reason for a short season. The players got what they needed after 6-8 weeks.

As far as B Woods being the largest equity holder - that does not mean the largest $ investor. Nor does it mean he necessary is a majority owner. I'm quite OK with new USFL starting small and building up too. No sense in shooting wad then pulling back as AAF or UFL did. Plus we do not know Fox's investment - which could be in $$ or non $$ contributions.
- Also the CFL delayed season made more players available.