Hal Mumme interview on the_markcast

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
4th&long
MVP

Hal Mumme interview on the_markcast

Post by 4th&long »

https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-podcast/xfl- ... o-the-xfl/

I haven't got to the rest of the podcast but - did listen to Hal Mumme portion. Good stuff. Check it out. And these guys run a serious show and get top people to interview in non-NFL FB.

Take aways: Wants to coach in USFL. Would like to bring his players from TSL to it.TSL play "probably on par with XFL or Canada". Good relationship with Brian Woods. Hasn't been contacted by XFL. With a crowded spring FB market where you want to coach... "I wanna do the USFL"
Gopher123
Quarterback

Re: Hal Mumme interview on the_markcast

Post by Gopher123 »

I really have to believe he would be around the top of the USFL’s wishlist for coaches, especially after the job he did with the Linemen this past season. Clearly one of the most prolific passing game coordinators available, they would be crazy not to have him as a head coach. We know how important it is for these spring leagues to have offenses that can move the ball and score points.

I could see familiar names like Kevin Gilbride and Jerry Glanville and maybe a couple more TSL coaches who have a relationship with B Woods get called up as well. Hell, Glanville is worth having as a head coach just off of his sound bites alone! I like characters like him, sadly they are disappearing and being replaced by yes men.

Throw in the recent talk of a Steve Spurrier and or Wade Phillips and we have a pretty good core group of coaches to start with. I would think some coaching hires and team names are on the horizon but I also wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t get closer to fall before more news of this drops.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Gopher123 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:33 pm I really have to believe he would be around the top of the USFL’s wishlist for coaches, especially after the job he did with the Linemen this past season. Clearly one of the most prolific passing game coordinators available, they would be crazy not to have him as a head coach. We know how important it is for these spring leagues to have offenses that can move the ball and score points.

I could see familiar names like Kevin Gilbride and Jerry Glanville and maybe a couple more TSL coaches who have a relationship with B Woods get called up as well. Hell, Glanville is worth having as a head coach just off of his sound bites alone! I like characters like him, sadly they are disappearing and being replaced by yes men.

Throw in the recent talk of a Steve Spurrier and or Wade Phillips and we have a pretty good core group of coaches to start with. I would think some coaching hires and team names are on the horizon but I also wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t get closer to fall before more news of this drops.
Agreed - he has some name recognition is semi-retired but isn't going to be expensive, I perfect fit. Same I imagine with Glanville. Spurrier and Wade may be more expensive - but I don't see them getting even XFL money (targeted $500k). Bart Andrus will be in the mix and Kevin Glibride if he wants. June Jones if he wants as well.

The allure for the USFL and coaches is to except maybe $200-350k for 2/3 weeks of camp and 8/10 weeks of a season, VS an NFL season going almost 11 months and much longer days. They get to coach up guys, compete, and stay in the game for a lot less time commitment.

Also agree that they need offense minded coaches to make games more exciting.
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

Absolutely right about the allure of coaching spring football. To say that coaching in the NFL and even college is a grind and hard on anyone’s family life is an understatement. I remember hearing Joe Gibbs talk about spending the night at his office a lot and that was back in the 80’s. Yeah, there are some lifers but it’s no wonder after many coaches hit a certain age, they choose the retirement path.

Gilbride and Glanville both mentioned this past season how much they love coaching still, especially the younger players. I think the friendlier schedule plus the chance to compete on game days were major factors in getting Bob Stoops to the XFL. Coaching spring football has had it’s challenges for sure but there are definitely some perks to be considered.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:30 pm https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-podcast/xfl- ... o-the-xfl/

I haven't got to the rest of the podcast but - did listen to Hal Mumme portion. Good stuff. Check it out. And these guys run a serious show and get top people to interview in non-NFL FB.

Take aways: Wants to coach in USFL. Would like to bring his players from TSL to it.TSL play "probably on par with XFL or Canada". Good relationship with Brian Woods. Hasn't been contacted by XFL. With a crowded spring FB market where you want to coach... "I wanna do the USFL"
I wonder how much of this holds true with fox taking the lead off the USFL. I also like how he seems loyal to his players