USFL Austin

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
Tank55
MVP

USFL Austin

Post by Tank55 »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:32 pm
Tank55 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:15 am More trademarks filed:

If nothing else, if they do go with teams in individual markets, sure seems like Austin is going to be one of them.
TSL has a longstanding relationship with Austin; they held the 2018 and 2019 seasons there. In fact, "Austin Generals" was one of the names of the 2019 teams.
Yeah, and going back to the FXFL, the Texas Outlaws had been announced as a team but never took the field.

I'll be fascinated to see where they go for a stadium. If this were the XFL, I'd say the only option that really makes sense is the new MLS stadium, but there are still so many unknowns for the USFL. Maybe the Triple-A baseball stadium (obviously Woods has some experience in MiLB facilities) in Round Rock or the USL soccer stadium by the airport are also options. Or maybe they go back to the 11,000-seat high school stadium that TSL was working out of.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
4th&long
MVP

Re: USFL Austin

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:08 am
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:32 pm
Tank55 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:15 am More trademarks filed:

If nothing else, if they do go with teams in individual markets, sure seems like Austin is going to be one of them.
TSL has a longstanding relationship with Austin; they held the 2018 and 2019 seasons there. In fact, "Austin Generals" was one of the names of the 2019 teams.
Yeah, and going back to the FXFL, the Texas Outlaws had been announced as a team but never took the field.

I'll be fascinated to see where they go for a stadium. If this were the XFL, I'd say the only option that really makes sense is the new MLS stadium, but there are still so many unknowns for the USFL. Maybe the Triple-A baseball stadium (obviously Woods has some experience in MiLB facilities) in Round Rock or the USL soccer stadium by the airport are also options. Or maybe they go back to the 11,000-seat high school stadium that TSL was working out of.
Remember these are just options. I believe they filed the NJ Generals as well. - I'm a bit surprised they avoided SA but Austin doesn't have any teams in the big 4, SA has NBA. Austin is a slightly smaller market than SA.

Could USFL put teams in Austin, Dallas, Houston, and OKC and have a 100% bus travel division? Possible. That 4 team division would still represent approx ~6% of the USA viewing population and be a HUGE cost saver.

For perspective AAF was ~9.2% over 8 teams; while not surprisingly XFL was 22%. NY/LA alone was 11% of XFL.

So if USFL 2nd division included NJ/Philly/FL/LA that would be the more costly division BUT would represent 15% of viewers and justify the cost and even there NJ/Philly would be no cost travel.
Last edited by 4th&long on Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Trust me, with this ownership group, I'm not counting any chickens before they hatch.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:23 am Trust me, with this ownership group, I'm not counting any chickens before they hatch.
I wasn't implying anything negative - The USFL and for that matter XFL have not publicized their plans both for their own reasons. But a Bus division makes sense for a low cost league and really does reduce expenses alot and is a big step up from a "hub" city w/o a home team.

At least IMO.
WDH63
Rookie

Post by WDH63 »

I think that teams in both Austin and San Antonio would work. A bus ride apart and a natural rivalry. After speaking to our Mayors office last week, I feel confident in San Antonios chances in some spring league soon.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

WDH63 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:12 am I think that teams in both Austin and San Antonio would work. A bus ride apart and a natural rivalry. After speaking to our Mayors office last week, I feel confident in San Antonios chances in some spring league soon.
The issue isn't that the cities won't support a team, clearly SA will and I'm sure Austin with NO Big 5 teams would too. \
- It's the TV market size. Austin .75% (of tv homes), and SA slightly bigger at .85%

Compare that to Houston and Dallas at 2.13% and 2.45%, almost 3x each respectively. And yes all a bus ride apart

Now if they decide to do a mix of top 12 and a few smaller hungry growing markets - perhaps. But the same case can be made for OKC, also a bus ride and only slightly smaller at .62% and in a separate state for geogrpahic spread.

I do think Oklahoma and Texas are low cost states to run USFL teams though and knowing B Woods, that will be a factor.