Woods, Fox launching USFL in 2022

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
Tank55
MVP

Woods, Fox launching USFL in 2022

Post by Tank55 »

Today, the United States Football League (USFL) announced that the league will officially return in the spring of 2022.
The league will target a minimum of eight teams and deliver high-quality, innovative professional football to fans throughout the spring season.
FOX Sports will serve as the official broadcast partner for the USFL. FOX Sports also owns a minority equity stake in the company that owns the USFL.
https://www.foxsports.com/presspass/lat ... turns-2022

https://twitter.com/reshmanuel/status/1 ... 6905285638

Very light on details. Will these teams be based in their cities and the players be paid, or is this just a rebranded TSL?
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
Tank55
MVP

Re: Woods, Fox launching USFL in 2022

Post by Tank55 »

Intriguing news.

It’s been headed this way for quite some time, with the owners of @TheSpringLeague acquiring the USFL trademarks.

The likelihood is that The Spring League goes back to being a scouting showcase/developmental operation with the USFL at the forefront on FOX.
https://twitter.com/ByMikeMitchell/stat ... 5993389058
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Well I guess I was right about TSL being a placeholder, but is this the same USFL that's been trying to relaunch for almost 15 years?

Either way, getting this up and running in 9-10 months seems to be a bit of a task. While the original league did it (guess we couldn't wait until May 11, the 40th anniversary of the founding) there was plenty on the underside once you got past the "major league" aspect of it that shows there was much work to be done .
Last edited by MGB01 on Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

XFL = DOA, passing on 2021 BIG MISTAKE as I said ALL ALONG it was a sign and 2022 also

This is a New USFL with FOX and Woods in partnership

TSL to remain for now.

https://nypost.com/2021/06/03/the-usfl- ... ally-back/

>> The USFL is back.

The USFL announced Thursday it will begin a new spring league in 2022 with Fox Sports as its television partner.

The league will have the rights to old USFL team names, including classics like the New Jersey Generals, Oakland Invaders and Houston Gamblers.

The original USFL began in 1983 and ceased in 1986 after it moved to the fall to compete with the NFL.
Jim Kelly as quarterback of the USFL's Houston Gamblers.
Jim Kelly as quarterback of the USFL’s Houston Gamblers.
Getty Images

But the USFL did have big names such as Herschel Walker, Jim Kelly, Steve Young and Reggie White.

At least initially, the new league is not expected to compete for top-level NFL talent.

The league will have a minimum of eight teams. It is being co-founded by Brian Woods, the CEO of The Spring League, which also airs on Fox. The Spring League is continuing.

Fox Sports owns a minority equity stake in the new company that owns the USFL. <<

Fox MUST be HAPPY with the TSL ratings and performance. Its also a cock block on the XFL's return.

Hell bring VM in, may be XFL can work with new USFL instead of trying to squeeze square peg in round hole of CFL.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/fox-sp ... 234987489/

The United States Football League, that mid-1980s counterpart to NFL play, is returning.

>>The league will relaunch in the spring of 2022, with Fox Sports signing on as a broadcast partner and minority stakeholder in the company that owns the new sports entity. <<
Last edited by 4th&long on Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

I don't think it's connected to the "New USFL". As far as getting going, I think it depends on the scope. Launching in eight markets and getting an actual ticket sales operation rolling is going to be a challenge. But for all we know, they'll still be playing in hubs in 2022 and maybe working toward moving all teams in market in 2023? Devil is in the details, for sure.
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

This will be a big nothing burger. No way woods signs quality players at bargain prices and doesn't have the clout or credibility of the Rock and Redbird. Fix being all in means we'll air some games with minimal promotion and take all the add revenue. No different than the countless indoor leagues and lacrosse and rugby when thee make it in major television. Fox isn't putting much promotion into this, TSL ratings are a tad above golden girls reruns and the quality of play doesn't hold a candle to the XFL. I expect this USFL to go the way if MLF and Ricky Williams freedom league. Wake me up when they play a game
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:34 am This will be a big nothing burger. No way woods signs quality players at bargain prices and doesn't have the clout or credibility of the Rock and Redbird. Fix being all in means we'll air some games with minimal promotion and take all the add revenue. No different than the countless indoor leagues and lacrosse and rugby when thee make it in major television. Fox isn't putting much promotion into this, TSL ratings are a tad above golden girls reruns and the quality of play doesn't hold a candle to the XFL. I expect this USFL to go the way if MLF and Ricky Williams freedom league. Wake me up when they play a game
Fox is sponsoring it or Woods wouldn't try (likely) and that means Fox like the ratings, USFL will top TSL ratings

Fox NEEDS the programing

TANK - This is all B Woods USFL not the paper league. Agreed with the rest of your post. Could be a partial roll out partial hub. Who knows but its bound to happen.

Here's another impact - PLAYER in TSL will be HIGHLY Motivated in the last 2 weeks plus Championship of TSL.
QB Brian Scott should have played.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

MGB01 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:15 am Well I guess I was right about TSL being a placeholder, but is this the same USFL that's been trying to relaunch for almost 15 years?

Either way, getting this up and running in 9-10 months seems to be a bit of a task. While the original league did it (guess we couldn't wait until May 11, the 40th anniversary of the founding) there was plenty on the underside once you got past the "major league" aspect of it that shows there was much work to be done .
No. This is run by Brian Woods, of TSL and FXFL notoriety. The only thing he did was get the trademarks (he already controlled the Generals'). Basically what's going to happen is that what we see now as TSL will likely be rebranded as the USFL. The league is essentially already there: this just uses a recognized brand name (kind of like what Vince did with his own XFL).
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

4th&long wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:37 am
laxtreme56 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:34 am This will be a big nothing burger. No way woods signs quality players at bargain prices and doesn't have the clout or credibility of the Rock and Redbird. Fix being all in means we'll air some games with minimal promotion and take all the add revenue. No different than the countless indoor leagues and lacrosse and rugby when thee make it in major television. Fox isn't putting much promotion into this, TSL ratings are a tad above golden girls reruns and the quality of play doesn't hold a candle to the XFL. I expect this USFL to go the way if MLF and Ricky Williams freedom league. Wake me up when they play a game
Fox is sponsoring it or Woods wouldn't try (likely) and that means Fox like the ratings, USFL will top TSL ratings

Fox NEEDS the programing

TANK - This is all B Woods USFL not the paper league. Agreed with the rest of your post. Could be a partial roll out partial hub. Who knows but its bound to happen.

Here's another impact - PLAYER in TSL will be HIGHLY Motivated in the last 2 weeks plus Championship of TSL.
QB Brian Scott should have played.
Fox sponsored many things that they don't really care about. Early seasons of MLS, NBC went through a phase of AFL, NLL, and pro bull riding for a bit and ESPN sued the AFL after they folded in 2008. These"partnerships" aren't worth the paper they're written on. Like penny stocks. If it does well they'll make a small profit, if not oh well. Compare the media coverage of the TSL to the XFL and it's beyond night and day
Joker
Quarterback

Post by Joker »

USFL coming online. XFL is asleep.

Good thing they have those helmet walls.
Fan of the XFL from the beginning. You may remember me from the original XFLboard.