Panthers HC Fisher out Nolan in

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
4th&long
MVP

Panthers HC Fisher out Nolan in

Post by 4th&long »

https://www.theusfl.com/the-usfl/former ... n-panthers

>> The USFL announced on Friday that NFL veteran coach Mike Nolan has been hired as head coach of the Michigan Panthers. He immediately assumes duties from former head coach Jeff Fisher, who is stepping down for personal reasons.<<

>> Daniel Kaplan
@KaplanSportsBiz
The USFL today announced that NFL veteran coach Mike Nolan has been hired to lead the Michigan Panthers. He immediately assumes duties from former Head Coach Jeff Fisher, who is stepping down for personal reasons.
8:45 AM · Feb 3, 2023 <<

Totally not surprised - he didn't seem into it ... its not NFL, his comments at NFLPA college bowl were also not all in
And not being in LA for the HC meeting seemed a big red flag, plus being in Detroit isnt Birmingham

Nolan is a good find and right age.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Nolan

??? - Is Haley next - he's been quiet.
Last edited by 4th&long on Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
laxtreme56
Coach

Re: Panthers HC Fisher out Nolan in

Post by laxtreme56 »

Another "left to spend more time with family" stock answer. 3rd head coach so far. Is something brewing under the surface and Fischer wanted to get out beforehand
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Yikes. His last pro coaching job (DC of the Dallas Cowboys) did not end well. The Panthers Defense is going to be a sieve.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:08 pm Yikes. His last pro coaching job (DC of the Dallas Cowboys) did not end well. The Panthers Defense is going to be a sieve.
That was under Garrett and when pre draft picks like Parsons, he'll be fine
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:10 pm
GDAWG wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:08 pm Yikes. His last pro coaching job (DC of the Dallas Cowboys) did not end well. The Panthers Defense is going to be a sieve.
He was under McCarthy in McCarthy's first year. They upgraded with Dan Quinn.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:13 pm
I agree that Quinn is an upgrade. Plus Mike wanted his own guy.

The D wasn't good that one yr, but Nolan is the type for spring leagues. Long time NFL, position, DC and HC

Plus yr two looks like more traveling and more time commitment- Fisher may have said that's too much
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:17 pm
GDAWG wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:13 pm

I agree that Quinn is an upgrade. Plus Mike wanted his own guy.

The D wasn't good that one yr, but Nolan is the type for spring leagues. Long time NFL, position, DC and HC

Plus yr two looks like more traveling and more time commitment- Fisher may have said that's too much
Nolan was Mike's guy and one of his first hires. Mike was Nolan's OC in San Fran in 2005. McCarthy inherited Kellen Moore.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

He has Great defenders as well though so I don’t think it’s indicative of how good he’ll do at this level
4th&long
MVP

Fisher message, Nolan Message

Post by 4th&long »

4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:07 pm Another "left to spend more time with family" stock answer. 3rd head coach so far. Is something brewing under the surface and Fischer wanted to get out beforehand
I think the USFL is growing faster than expected not much but (XFL likely moved it one step faster) moving along. He's further from home, going to travel more and its a bigger time commitment. Fedora was looking for a simpler league, too. I think they got lucky with Nolan as replacement.

I'm concerned Haley may leave too. Hopefully not. He's from TB area and I think the Memphis move wasn't a plus, also no showing at HC meeting ... who knows.