Alex Rodriguez talked about to be the generals team owner and roster/draft news

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
herns
Head Coach

Alex Rodriguez talked about to be the generals team owner and roster/draft news

Post by herns »

Gene Hallman on @WJOX945:

-Alex Rodriguez was/is being considered as an owner for the NJ Generals
-There are currently about 3000 players in the draft pool/portal
-There will be around 5-6 high profile guys that are “instantly recognizable”on each team

https://twitter.com/newsusfl/status/148 ... 16387?s=21
Jack
Linebacker

Re: Alex Rodriguez talked about to be the generals team owner and roster/draft news

Post by Jack »

herns wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:59 pm Gene Hallman on @WJOX945:

-There will be around 5-6 high profile guys that are “instantly recognizable”on each team

Funny, I watched the 49ers-Packers game this past week and at one point we saw that Rodriguez was in the stands. I joked to my brother that maybe he was there to support his fellow A-Rod :D
herns
Head Coach

Re: Alex Rodriguez talked about to be the generals team owner and roster/draft news

Post by herns »

Jack wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:43 pm

Funny, I watched the 49ers-Packers game this past week and at one point we saw that Rodriguez was in the stands. I joked to my brother that maybe he was there to support his fellow A-Rod :D
The actual quote from the interview was “It was kind of funny in the very first meeting.. we were at the MLB All Star Game, and they were in the production trailer, and they had it staged…. Eric (Shanks) took his phone and tilted it to the right and said, this guy sitting beside me… is a guy we’re already talking to about being an owner operator in New Jersey. And it was A Rod… They want high profile people like that involved with their franchises.”

Seems like there’s a real chance it’s gonna happen
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

Quote from the interview “It was kind of funny in the very first meeting.. we were at the MLB All Star Game, and they were in the production trailer, and they had it staged…. Eric (Shanks) took his phone and tilted it to the right and said, this guy sitting beside me… is a guy we’re already talking to about being an owner operator in New Jersey. And it was A Rod… They want high profile people like that involved with their franchises.”
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:09 pm

Quote from the interview “It was kind of funny in the very first meeting.. we were at the MLB All Star Game, and they were in the production trailer, and they had it staged…. Eric (Shanks) took his phone and tilted it to the right and said, this guy sitting beside me… is a guy we’re already talking to about being an owner operator in New Jersey. And it was A Rod… They want high profile people like that involved with their franchises.”
I had listened to that as well, great interview and info. I'm sure USFL would love the Buzz and promotion of an ARod purchase. Like Dundon buying into the AAF - the reasons are even a 1-Billionaire can't afford (by far) an NFL team. They are $2-5 billion now. You need to be able to marshall alot of $ to afford that. To me I'd rather own a spring FB team than MLS. No question.

No surprise that the USFL is doing alot more than people see and just because Fox doesn't want people to see how the sausage is made, doesn't mean things aren't happening Gene discussed.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

A-Rod is trying hard to repair the image he had as a player, especially the time he got suspended for a long time for steroids.
super390
Receiver

Post by super390 »

I kind of expected some ex-NFL guys to be in the running as team owners too.
But didn't expect this talk this soon.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

super390 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:11 am I kind of expected some ex-NFL guys to be in the running as team owners too.
But didn't expect this talk this soon.
Agreed, it was really nice to hear for me. Makes me think mike Mitchell was right like a month ago when he said he’s heard they’ve talked to potential owners
super390
Receiver

Post by super390 »

Well, an owner-oriented league, even if they're only paper owners, is going to look different than a single-entity league. One of my problems with USFL II as presented is the recycling not only of old team cities and names, but colors and logos. Except the Birmingham Stallions helmet that someone got a screenshot of isn't even as good as the original boring Stallions helmet. It's like they ran the original USFL logos thru some kind of software to make them more bland and standardized. Yet still in colors that scream 1980s.

So I would expect that as "owners" buy up these teams, they'll have the right to move them to the cities of their choice and rename them and redesign them. Which I think opens up more possibilities than we've seen with any single entity league in any sport. Like, for instance, my hope that some of these teams base brands on popular college teams in their region and get lots of their ex-players and coaches. For instance, an LSU-inspired team in New Orleans or a Notre Dame-inspired team in Chicago. Meaning lots of really old-fashioned looks mixed in with really modern looks.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

super390 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:32 pm Well, an owner-oriented league, even if they're only paper owners, is going to look different than a single-entity league. One of my problems with USFL II as presented is the recycling not only of old team cities and names, but colors and logos. Except the Birmingham Stallions helmet that someone got a screenshot of isn't even as good as the original boring Stallions helmet. It's like they ran the original USFL logos thru some kind of software to make them more bland and standardized. Yet still in colors that scream 1980s.

So I would expect that as "owners" buy up these teams, they'll have the right to move them to the cities of their choice and rename them and redesign them. Which I think opens up more possibilities than we've seen with any single entity league in any sport. Like, for instance, my hope that some of these teams base brands on popular college teams in their region and get lots of their ex-players and coaches. For instance, an LSU-inspired team in New Orleans or a Notre Dame-inspired team in Chicago. Meaning lots of really old-fashioned looks mixed in with really modern looks.
I get what you’re saying but I disagree heavily on the old stallions stuff. I don’t like the look of the old stuff at all tbh, maybe just to retro for me idk. As far as team owners mike Mitchell said before they chose locations/teams based on where the perspective owners they were talking to wanted them (it’s why the breakers are in New Orleans not Boston or Portland) now nothings set in stone so it for sure could change