TSL 2021 TV Schedule FOX and FS1/FS2

Discussion on TSL: The Spring League
MGB01
MVP

Re: TSL 2021 TV Schedule FOX and FS1/FS2

Post by MGB01 »

Another factor is the NFL is going to completely own the month of February in future years, especially if 17 goes to 18. So the old Post Superbowl Stress Disorder (NBC's Arena League marketing from 2003) could be outdated eventually cause by the time a Feb 21 or whenever Super Bowl is done you're already into March, which free agency and draft runup have effectively become another season entirely.

But what's happened lately is totally unanticipated, and largely a result of MLB's TV deal in 2014 (which by all accounts will be status quo for the next one beginning next year). It's made the league become almost totally irrelevant: FOX moved almost all their coverage to FS1 and has actually even less coverage than CBS did in the early 90s, Turner doesn't start until midseason (that could change with them taking weekly games), and ESPN clearly wants more NBA. So there's a brand new world, although if it's the same spot on the calendar used by NFL Europe and the indoor leagues have settled into its really not all that new.

MLS is sort of experiencing the same thing: this is opening weekend, no one cares. In fact ABC has LA vs Miami on Sunday (which has the long-played out Beckham angle), if say you had, going from last year, a Roughnecks/BattleHawks semifinal (or a midseason undefeated clash, as I have in my sim) I'm not sure you wouldn't have something possibly better.

There's a reason why, at the beginning of the pandemic, FOX aired NFL classics when they could have had anything in those slots.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:13 pm Another factor is the NFL is going to completely own the month of February in future years, especially if 17 goes to 18. So the old Post Superbowl Stress Disorder (NBC's Arena League marketing from 2003) could be outdated eventually cause by the time a Feb 21 or whenever Super Bowl is done you're already into March, which free agency and draft runup have effectively become another season entirely.

But what's happened lately is totally unanticipated, and largely a result of MLB's TV deal in 2014 (which by all accounts will be status quo for the next one beginning next year). It's made the league become almost totally irrelevant: FOX moved almost all their coverage to FS1 and has actually even less coverage than CBS did in the early 90s, Turner doesn't start until midseason (that could change with them taking weekly games), and ESPN clearly wants more NBA. So there's a brand new world, although if it's the same spot on the calendar used by NFL Europe and the indoor leagues have settled into its really not all that new.

MLS is sort of experiencing the same thing: this is opening weekend, no one cares. In fact ABC has LA vs Miami on Sunday (which has the long-played out Beckham angle), if say you had, going from last year, a Roughnecks/BattleHawks semifinal (or a midseason undefeated clash, as I have in my sim) I'm not sure you wouldn't have something possibly better.

There's a reason why, at the beginning of the pandemic, FOX aired NFL classics when they could have had anything in those slots.
I don't see the NFL owning Feb. One game in Feb doesn't control it and even of the conf games sneak in that's one more day. And yes if need be an alt league will play both the week before the SB and SB week.

MLB looks to be losing game nights on ESPN

>> reported by The Athletic and New York Post will see the network’s rights fee reduced by at least $100 million per year. ESPN is expected to cut its Monday and Wednesday night games under the new deal, which would go into effect next season. <<

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2021/0 ... -mlb-deal/

>> NBCSN averaged 230,000 viewers for Wednesday’s Avalanche-Blues NHL game, the league’s top audience on cable this month. No NHL game has cracked the 300,000 mark on cable since March 24. Wednesday’s Golden Knights-Kings nightcap drew 212,000 and Flyers-Capitals scored just 141,000 on Tuesday. <<

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2021/0 ... ozen-four/

and ESPN paid $400million a yr for roughly 55% of those games starting next year.

As far as soccer (MLS) ... no one caressss... Its soccer. Its soccer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uye67fQhayA
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:46 pm
MGB01 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:13 pm Another factor is the NFL is going to completely own the month of February in future years, especially if 17 goes to 18. So the old Post Superbowl Stress Disorder (NBC's Arena League marketing from 2003) could be outdated eventually cause by the time a Feb 21 or whenever Super Bowl is done you're already into March, which free agency and draft runup have effectively become another season entirely.

I don't see the NFL owning Feb. One game in Feb doesn't control it and even of the conf games sneak in that's one more day. And yes if need be an alt league will play both the week before the SB and SB week.

>> reported by The Athletic and New York Post will see the network’s rights fee reduced by at least $100 million per year. ESPN is expected to cut its Monday and Wednesday night games under the new deal, which would go into effect next season. <<

>> NBCSN averaged 230,000 viewers for Wednesday’s Avalanche-Blues NHL game, the league’s top audience on cable this month. No NHL game has cracked the 300,000 mark on cable since March 24. Wednesday’s Golden Knights-Kings nightcap drew 212,000 and Flyers-Capitals scored just 141,000 on Tuesday. <<

and ESPN paid $400million a yr for roughly 55% of those games starting next year.

Nobody cares about Soccer in America......there's a difference. I enjoy the European leagues more than MLS.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

It depends, if it's something like MLS Cup 2019, then you've got something

If it's something like FOX and MLS tried in 2016, with a regional MLS/NFL DH (you either got 2E/4E MLS/NFL or 1E/5E NFL/MLS) and it left people saying "what is this?", then it's probably something you'll never see again. It made me remember how much I appreciated when NBC had it, of course they were probably thinking along the same lines you were ("No thanks we'll go for the real stuff thank you").
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:12 pm
4th&long wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:46 pm

Nobody cares about Soccer in America......there's a difference. I enjoy the European leagues more than MLS.
Agreed on Soccer - just pointing out different sports and TV money. MLS is like CFL primarily gate and sponsor driven, with a moderate TV deal. Yet CFL gets more TV viewers in a country 9x smaller.

As far as NBC and NHL, XFL thoroughly trashed those numbers just on cable channels (granted smaller # number of games).
4th&long
MVP

Change TSL 2021 TV Schedule FOX and FS1/FS2

Post by 4th&long »

I caught it on FOX and see that the Schedule for Week 2 is changed, TSL already made the update.

Week 2 Saturday the same and moved 5/14 Friday to Monday 5/17

IMO That's good allows for some more time to practice and promote, of course there may be a less than favorable reason for the change. I'm sure the FOX saturday games get more eyeballs so these game can get advertised during that game to a 'larger' audience.

I did notice that this isn't the first change since they originally posted around 4/14. Fox being in control has the flexibility to do that.

(note - reposted and edited from TSL News Thread)