TSL News Thread

Discussion on TSL: The Spring League
GDAWG
MVP

Re: TSL News Thread

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:16 pm
Tank55 wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:44 pm So if this is a "soft launch", your understanding is that the Spring 2021 offering is going to be bigger and better than what they're doing right now?
That is my opinion - yes. Both by TSL and FS1/Fox. Assuming Fox likes what it sees.

This is a relatively low cost prod by Fox. There is no travel cost to Fox either. It looks like Virtual announcers. This fall the Sports Nets are sports starved esp mid-week. Its an opportunity that both TSL and FS1 jumped at and can start to build fan awareness into spring - especially in the absence of XFL. Fans are NOW getting accustom to spring FB. (AAF 2019, XFL 2020, TSL 2021).

If they like what they see, they can push for any changes and improvements. TSL will be doing similar.

The TSL may also get some quite a few repeat players from fall to spring and that makes game flow better in the spring.

I think this is an evolving situation, a developing situation. FS1 could invest/pay a fee of $1-2mm and get at 4-6 week reg season of games next spring. That money might finance the entire season.

Time will tell.
The initial press release said that Fox Sports had the right to invest a share in the league if they so chose to.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:37 pm
4th&long wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:16 pm
Tank55 wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:44 pm So if this is a "soft launch", your understanding is that the Spring 2021 offering is going to be bigger and better than what they're doing right now?
That is my opinion - yes. Both by TSL and FS1/Fox. Assuming Fox likes what it sees.

This is a relatively low cost prod by Fox. There is no travel cost to Fox either. It looks like Virtual announcers. This fall the Sports Nets are sports starved esp mid-week. Its an opportunity that both TSL and FS1 jumped at and can start to build fan awareness into spring - especially in the absence of XFL. Fans are NOW getting accustom to spring FB. (AAF 2019, XFL 2020, TSL 2021).

If they like what they see, they can push for any changes and improvements. TSL will be doing similar.

The TSL may also get some quite a few repeat players from fall to spring and that makes game flow better in the spring.

I think this is an evolving situation, a developing situation. FS1 could invest/pay a fee of $1-2mm and get at 4-6 week reg season of games next spring. That money might finance the entire season.

Time will tell.
The initial press release said that Fox Sports had the right to invest a share in the league if they so chose to.
Correct. But they may not exercise that for a while. It basically though gives them the inside track on the TSL.
I could see other nets jump in if they like it too, Or other Low cost leagues emerge - should this low cost model work on a smaller scale. (NBCSN, NFLN, dedicated streaming services, RSN's). For example I could easily see a regional or Academy style league run June-July when TV is more wide open.

What the XFL does impacts the nets decisions and TSL player availability.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

4th&long wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:16 pmThis is a relatively low cost prod by Fox.
Fox is paying the production costs?
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:59 am
4th&long wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:16 pmThis is a relatively low cost prod by Fox.
Fox is paying the production costs?
We have no official information on who is paying the costs. But this is a much much lower prod cost per game than NFL, XFL or college. The games are all in same location, appears to virtual studio, less known announcers, etc..FS1 needs the programming and is repeating the games multiple times to fill time slots which does not sound like TSL is paying Fox.

Unless someone is financing the TSL that we have not heard - it is very possible the TSL on FS1 cost are being picked up by Fox. Its a small cost with potential upside considering XFL status and contract allows ownership.
najeenena
Linebacker

Post by najeenena »

New to the board and first post. Resident of San Antonio and have been to a couple of Spring League games in the Alamodome and I personally know a few of the players (Jeremiah Spicer, Dwayne Wallace, Eli Walker etc) just want to make a few observations and make some corrections on the league. First The Spring League has some good talent and good product. Many of the best from CFL and XFL are on rosters and many household P5 D1 players as well. Many have NFL training camp, preseason games and Practice squad experience. The players stay at the Westin Hotel Downtown San Antonio and have all meals catered. Just to clear up a misconception.....The Spring League has their “drafted” players and they have another set of players called “showcase” the drafted players paid ZERO to be in the league. They are the ones who are playing in the Alamodome and on Fox TV. The showcase players had to pay and of course have good film, measurable etc. Think of showcase players as possible fill in due to injury sort of like a team 9. I have watched several games live.....this is not a bunch of try Hards out there. They can play. It’s true football. These guys are of course playing for the chance at the big leagues but mostly for the love of the game. No unenthusiastic games or plays....all gas no breaks the entire game. I will make another post about some players who have stood out in games. Thanks
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Great post, thank you for the insight!
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

najeenena wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:31 pm New to the board and first post. Resident of San Antonio and have been to a couple of Spring League games in the Alamodome and I personally know a few of the players (Jeremiah Spicer, Dwayne Wallace, Eli Walker etc) just want to make a few observations and make some corrections on the league. First The Spring League has some good talent and good product. Many of the best from CFL and XFL are on rosters and many household P5 D1 players as well. Many have NFL training camp, preseason games and Practice squad experience. The players stay at the Westin Hotel Downtown San Antonio and have all meals catered. Just to clear up a misconception.....The Spring League has their “drafted” players and they have another set of players called “showcase” the drafted players paid ZERO to be in the league. They are the ones who are playing in the Alamodome and on Fox TV. The showcase players had to pay and of course have good film, measurable etc. Think of showcase players as possible fill in due to injury sort of like a team 9. I have watched several games live.....this is not a bunch of try Hards out there. They can play. It’s true football. These guys are of course playing for the chance at the big leagues but mostly for the love of the game. No unenthusiastic games or plays....all gas no breaks the entire game. I will make another post about some players who have stood out in games. Thanks
Hey Thanks - so my deduction was directionally correct (i just didnt know who got labels show case vs draft). I've been following the league since beginning, starting with Meh skeptism to wow great job on FS1.

Can you get some insight into the FS1 signing timing and XFL delay impact? Also what FS1's expectations are. Thanks.

The TSL games so far have been mildly to solid entertainment. BETTER than I expected and wk2 looked better. I expect week 3/4 to be even better!

Keep posting najeenena! Good stuff!
4th&long
MVP

Byron Scott: TSL News Thread

Post by 4th&long »

>> Mike Mitchell Retweeted
Aaron Wilson
@AaronWilson_NFL
Colts are working out former Spring League Most Valuable Player quarterback Bryan Scott today, according to a league source. Set records at Occidental College, has previously tried out for Rams, Chiefs and Falcons
12:42 PM · Feb 1, 2021·TweetDeck <<

https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/sta ... 4486916097

If Scott got a job it would be (another) a big selling point for TSL. An a good lead off into 2021 spring season... IF they have one.
GDAWG
MVP

Re: Byron Scott: TSL News Thread

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:47 pm >> Mike Mitchell Retweeted
Aaron Wilson
@AaronWilson_NFL
Colts are working out former Spring League Most Valuable Player quarterback Bryan Scott today, according to a league source. Set records at Occidental College, has previously tried out for Rams, Chiefs and Falcons

If Scott got a job it would be (another) a big selling point for TSL. An a good lead off into 2021 spring season... IF they have one.
The Colts signed former Prairie View A&M QB Jalen Morton. While they are probably not done adding more Quarterbacks, it will either be a high draft pick or one of the many veterans out there via trade or free agency.
4th&long
MVP

Re: Byron Scott: TSL News Thread

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:21 am
4th&long wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:47 pm >> Mike Mitchell Retweeted
Aaron Wilson
@AaronWilson_NFL

The Colts signed former Prairie View A&M QB Jalen Morton. While they are probably not done adding more Quarterbacks, it will either be a high draft pick or one of the many veterans out there via trade or free agency.
Not sure what you are saying here but even if Scott makes it into camp, better yet getting a P-Squad spot its a selling point.

The TSL has had many of its former players getting signed in the CFL or getting NFL work outs recently. It adds to TSL credibility and selling point to potential future players. As far as their plans for 2021 who knows, hopefully they have something in the works with FS1.