TSL News Thread

Discussion on TSL: The Spring League
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Re: TSL News Thread

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

4th&long wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:56 pm
MGB01 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:56 pm Woods has come a long way from the FXFL, which got some play on Mike and Mike (Golic Jr. played for the Brawlers) and had some syndication but that's about it, give him that.
Yes he has - he's learned alot. FXFL was a good concept but even there he over spent. It should have been a local league with NY, CT, Philly, NJ and just SNY and CSN-Philly. Instead of the travel and a far flung TV network. Live and learn. His TSL cost are even lower.
This is why I disagree with the "go big at first approach" for alternative FB (see my post in the "From AAF to XFL to Collaspse thread)
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3029
FXFL was comparatively small, but the problem was that Woods simply didn't have the resources of someone like Vince McMahon (or even Bill Hambrecht) to get the league off the ground.

The FXFL came off the heels of the slow-bleed death of the UFL, which was good football but just could never get the TV exposure or consistent revenue they needed to survive and, one could easily argue, overpaid at the lower end. But the FXFL, while it did a few things right, did a couple of things very wrong. The first was that it explicitly positioned itself as minor league/preseason-caliber football. People only watch preseason football because it's their first taste of football after months without it, and they don't really care who's on the field. Without their home team's rooting interest, no one cared. Landing franchises in New York City and Boston was a positive step, and it likely helped establish their syndication presence. Omaha, well, they were a successful UFL market and that's why the FXFL took a shot there (and to tell the truth the Mammoths were a success by FXFL standards, but they just couldn't find a way to shoehorn it into the rest of the league). The second was that it banked everything on landing a minor league affiliation with the NFL, which didn't happen and will likely never happen. They eventually corrected some of those mistakes, but by that time Woods had already expended most of his startup money.

The stroke of genius Woods had was that he could get professional-caliber talent to play for him without paying anyone. The gamble was that players would be desperate enough for a shot at the Big Show that they'd play for free and even pay their own expenses. That, more than anything, is why TSL has survived.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:06 pm
4th&long wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:56 pm
MGB01 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:56 pm Woods has come a long way from the FXFL, which got some play on Mike and Mike (Golic Jr. played for the Brawlers) and had some syndication but that's about it, give him that.
Yes he has - he's learned alot. FXFL was a good concept but even there he over spent. It should have been a local league with NY, CT, Philly, NJ and just SNY and CSN-Philly. Instead of the travel and a far flung TV network. Live and learn. His TSL cost are even lower.
This is why I disagree with the "go big at first approach" for alternative FB (see my post in the "From AAF to XFL to Collaspse thread)
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3029
FXFL was comparatively small, but the problem was that Woods simply didn't have the resources of someone like Vince McMahon (or even Bill Hambrecht) to get the league off the ground.

The FXFL came off the heels of the slow-bleed death of the UFL, which was good football but just could never get the TV exposure or consistent revenue they needed to survive and, one could easily argue, overpaid at the lower end. But the FXFL, while it did a few things right, did a couple of things very wrong. The first was that it explicitly positioned itself as minor league/preseason-caliber football. People only watch preseason football because it's their first taste of football after months without it, and they don't really care who's on the field. Without their home team's rooting interest, no one cared. Landing franchises in New York City and Boston was a positive step, and it likely helped establish their syndication presence. Omaha, well, they were a successful UFL market and that's why the FXFL took a shot there (and to tell the truth the Mammoths were a success by FXFL standards, but they just couldn't find a way to shoehorn it into the rest of the league). The second was that it banked everything on landing a minor league affiliation with the NFL, which didn't happen and will likely never happen. They eventually corrected some of those mistakes, but by that time Woods had already expended most of his startup money.

The stroke of genius Woods had was that he could get professional-caliber talent to play for him without paying anyone. The gamble was that players would be desperate enough for a shot at the Big Show that they'd play for free and even pay their own expenses. That, more than anything, is why TSL has survived.
I said this on other boards for years... the players are playing for FILM, to stay football RELEVANT, and in football SHAPE. A year out of FB with others in alt leagues and new recruits coming from college and you are DONE. That's why some will even go to arena/indoor. CFL has signed some of those players.

He was paying $1k a week in FXFL first season, trouble with that is they are now employees and that means Workers Comp and health ins.

With TSL the savings really isn't the salaries, its the health benefits, the Workers Comp ins, and liability ins and p/r taxes. All that goes away in TSL compared to FXFL.
4th&long
MVP

TSL signs Ryan Mallett to Generals

Post by 4th&long »

https://twitter.com/TheSpringLeague/sta ... 1837198336

>> The Spring League American football @TheSpringLeague
Former @HoustonTexans and @Ravens starting QB, Ryan Mallett, will be under center for the #TSLGenerals at #TSL20201! The @RazorbackFB alum, was drafted in the 3rd round of the 2011 #NFLDraft by the @Patriots,
10:23 AM · Apr 24, 2021 <<

More info on Mallett
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Mall ... NFL_career

>> Mallett worked out for the Washington Redskins on December 4, 2018, but was not signed.[73] He worked out for the XFL in Tampa Bay, Florida, on June 29, 2019.[74] He was arrested for suspicion of driving while intoxicated in Arkansas on September 10, 2019.[75] On April 16, 2020, Mallet was announced as an assistant coach at Mountain Home High School in Mountain Home, Arkansas. <<
4th&long
MVP

TSL Sea Lions QB NIck Fitzgerald

Post by 4th&long »

Another former XFLer (and Bucs PS) QB...

https://twitter.com/TheSpringLeague/sta ... 9890238467

>> The Spring League American football @TheSpringLeague
Former @HailStateFB
QB Nick Fitzgerald will be slinging the rock for the Sea Lions at #TSL2021. @nickfitz07 spent time with the @Buccaneers during the 2019 #NFL season<<

More on Fitzgerald .... SEC Miss St....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Fitz ... _football)

>> Fitzgerald signed with the St. Louis BattleHawks of the XFL on January 18, 2020.[25] He had his contract terminated when the league suspended operations on April 10, 2020. <<
4th&long
MVP

TSL - Alpha's QB is former MichSt B Lewerke

Post by 4th&long »

TSL - Alpha's QB is former MichSt B Lewerke

https://twitter.com/TheSpringLeague/sta ... 9179296769

>> The Spring League American football@TheSpringLeague
QB @brianlewerke14 is headed back to @B1Gfootball country! The @MSU_Football all-time leader in total yards from scrimmage will quarterback the Alphas at #TSL2021. He spent parts of 2020 with the @Patriots. <<

More on Lewerke...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Lewerke

>> Lewerke surpassed former quarterback Connor Cook to become the school's all-time leader in total yards from scrimmage.

Lewerke was signed by the New England Patriots as an undrafted free agent.[8] On July 26, 2020, he was waived before training camp opened,[9] but re-signed with the team four days later.[10] He was waived on September 5, 2020. <<
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

Hey I'm all for guys continuing to live the dream, but watching pay for play football just isn't my thing. The guys I play flag football with every Sunday all play "for the love of the game" but I wouldn't pay to watch them. As of now the TSL can only "graduate" players to the NFL and a CFL which may or may not be in existence in 2022. An academy is great for soccer where there are literally hundreds of leagues worldwide where you can make a living, and even hockey and basketball to an extent, (Sweden, Russia, China, Puerto Rico, Argentina, etc.)

Say what you want about the FCF but they played their players, the product and presentation got better each week, and with a more serious tone and sports beting they could essentially be what the AFL wanted to be had it survived to 2020, a glorified Big 3 traveling league.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:56 pm Hey I'm all for guys continuing to live the dream, but watching pay for play football just isn't my thing. The guys I play flag football with every Sunday all play "for the love of the game" but I wouldn't pay to watch them. As of now the TSL can only "graduate" players to the NFL and a CFL which may or may not be in existence in 2022. An academy is great for soccer where there are literally hundreds of leagues worldwide where you can make a living, and even hockey and basketball to an extent, (Sweden, Russia, China, Puerto Rico, Argentina, etc.)

Say what you want about the FCF but they played their players, the product and presentation got better each week, and with a more serious tone and sports beting they could essentially be what the AFL wanted to be had it survived to 2020, a glorified Big 3 traveling league.
TSL is NOT charging players out of the NFL within 3 years camp or recently out of college (something like that). Only those not meeting that criteria. FCF pay is $750 a week?. Let's not get crazy here. They are providing each player film and easy exposure as ALL games are being televised, on a major network - FOX & FS1/2.

https://www.thespringleague.com/?page_id=132

This is an opportunity for players looking to get into the NFL and CFL, possibly XFL or other league. That's their BP.

It is clearly marketed as an ELITE PRO D-LEAGUE not an alt league like XFL or hopeful minor league like the AAF.

The pay question may change in the future but for 2021 that's the SOP. Now with 8 teams does that water down the talent pool for unpaid players? Possibly. I'm sure week 1 won't look to pretty but week 3-6 expect play to be pretty good. Plus many players are coming back. Keep in mind this is a 8-10 week commitment - not 4-5 months. The CFL push back only helps those players in the TSL to get a look there.
And what is the alternative FCF? Indoor FB? Amazon warehouse? MickyD's? 8:30-5:30 desk job? Its an opportunity with no cost for the vast majority that did not exist 2 years ago.

Of course if you aren't into it, you won't watch, that goes without saying and your prerogative . But I say give it a look here and there and remember it may take 1-2 weeks to gel in week 3.
4th&long
MVP

TSL News confirmed QB Luis playing

Post by 4th&long »

Its offical

https://twitter.com/TheSpringLeague/sta ... 5165358090

>> The Spring LeagueAmerican football@TheSpringLeague
QB Luis Perez is reuniting with his former coach, Kevin Gilbride, in Houston under center for the #TSLJousters. @PerezLuisQB is a @Lions_FB alum who has spent time with the @RamsNFL, @Eagles, and @Lions <<
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

The TSL is American football; I'll be watching!
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Firecop wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:56 pm The TSL is American football; I'll be watching!
Excellent FCop!

With the short "camp/practice" time week 1-2 could be sloppy so give it some time - at least that's what I tell myself :lol:

Seriously though I think I would have held off week 1 if I were Fox, but its balz to the wall for them!