#RIP Alliance of American Football

Forum for XFL fans to discuss the Alliance of American Football.
XFL_FAN
Coach

Re: #RIP Alliance of American Football

Post by XFL_FAN »

Sounder wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:33 am :cry: If there is any thought that this is not permanent...... rest assured it is...... cuz even if they did try to come back...... nobody will watch. There were good games......ratings and attendance stayed fairly consistent.....at least at a level consistent of a minor. Too bad.

And you can play fantasy using defensive players..... I've done it for years.
On the only AAF fantasy website:https://altfantasysports.com/, they don't let you use defensive players for your team. Only defensive units like the Iron or Fleet defense.
Ready for the team reveals...again
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

I meant MY fantasy league.
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

MikeMitchell wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:53 pm
mnelson wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:56 pm My first thought goes to the folks from Birmingham AL, who have lost so many teams over the years, including the Birmingham Thunderbolts of the original XFL. Why do so many teams come and go from such a football mecca. Hopefully, one day it will work out for Birmingham.

The fans of San Antonio must be hurting, as there were many of them. Also, Orlando, as the team was poised to contend for the championship. Memphis fans finally had something to cheer about, with a QB that was finally making the right moves. I'm talking about Silvers, BTW.

All the players and coaches. Ground crews and officials. Front office staff. Broadcast crew. Hopefully many find jobs in other leagues. Maybe the XFL? Hopefully for some.

PS. I hope this thread is kept respectful.
Love your line about Silvers by the way...… Birmingham never should have let him go. The Iron ended up averaging about 14k per game attendance wise. Just ok, but In comparison to the other markets, that number is not too bad. I liked their all black look. Probably in the minority on that one.

I really like the onside try in the AAF. The NFL should have adopted it and I think that the XFL needs to look into it. The onside kick itself is way too dangerous, if we are really concerned about safety. All for the kickoff staying, I like the onside try. That was a very good idea.

All these leagues have a certain personality to them, that's endearing. I feel bad for the fans of the AAF. The ones who supported that league hardcore. There could be a tornado in their living room, and they would just brush it off as just some extra wind. I love the way they defended the league. Sad to see it go. Travesty that they didn't finish out the season. That one stings and you can't get it back.
I also liked the Iron all black look and plain helmet.

I strongly dislike the onside try and am relieved that the NFL didn't adopt it. It seems too artificial, changes the look of the game too much and opens a huge can of worms. Would a defensive holding (PI, personal foul, etc) allow the team to keep the ball? Can't get the ball on a penalty with the inside kick. I don't know the stats on injuries for the onside kick but it is a rare play and blocking rules can help lessen the chances of injury. Also, no more surprise onside kicks. I understand the AAF using it as they don't have kickoffs (I saw it only once and it succeeded) but would be hugely disappointed if the XFL adopts it.

I liked the top view camera angle...just not for live plays.

I didn't like most of the team names and initial logos but was happy with some changes for helmets. I really disliked the Express logo but the one the used for the helmet was great.

Didn't like the lack of kick off...made the game seem too much like a scrimmage.

Liked the fan support in SA, SD, Orlando...not so much SLC and AZ.

Didn't like holding the defense back with the blitz rule. Again, too much like a scrimmage. It made sense for them as the goal was to develop players for the NFL but the XFL needs to let the defense create plays to help them win a championship.
It's gettin' hot in here...and we about to burn 'em up!

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion may be 2-3 seconds short of playing a full season :?
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion may be 2-3 seconds short of playing a full season :?
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

But since the NFL amended their kickoff rule to no head running start......onside kicks are useless......unless they were to......I dunno....... maybe shorten the kick distance to five yards......or have the front line of the receiving team back up five more yards. It doesn't work now. All a team can really do is try to kick it RIGHT AT someone and hope for a bounce.
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

Sounder wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:33 am But since the NFL amended their kickoff rule to no head running start......onside kicks are useless......unless they were to......I dunno....... maybe shorten the kick distance to five yards......or have the front line of the receiving team back up five more yards. It doesn't work now. All a team can really do is try to kick it RIGHT AT someone and hope for a bounce.
Those ideas are worth a look. The XFL doesn't have to use the NFL model.

It seems to me that most of the onside kick recoveries (other than the surprise) come from the receiving team muffing the ball. Some do come from a fast guy grabbing a high bounce on the sideline. It should be a play that is unlikely to be converted but still has a chance.

Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/ ... af-exit/

Video in link above.
The NFL was among those stunned by the decision, given that Dundon spent roughly $70 million to get to the point at which he exercised his prerogative to walk away. Nothing was any different now than it was when he made his original commitment, apart from the trumped-up urgency that a deal for bottom-of-roster NFL players was critical to the AAF’s ongoing existence.

It’s becoming even more clear that there will be no ongoing existence of the AAF. Via CBSSports.com, the suspension of operations is expected to become a shutdown on Wednesday.

MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Andibald wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:45 am Nice article Mike https://xflboard.com/news/2019/04/03/a- ... ll-family/
Thanks Andibald.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Andibald wrote:

I strongly dislike the onside try and am relieved that the NFL didn't adopt it. It seems too artificial, changes the look of the game too much and opens a huge can of worms. Would a defensive holding (PI, personal foul, etc) allow the team to keep the ball? Can't get the ball on a penalty with the inside kick I don't know the stats on injuries for the onside kick but it is a rare play and blocking rules can help lessen the chances of injury. Also, no more surprise onside kicks. I understand the AAF using it as they don't have kickoffs (I saw it only once and it succeeded) but would be hugely disappointed if the XFL adopts it.

I am all for any alternative suggestions for improving the onside kick. If it involves a new kickoff or formation that increases the likelihood of it working and helps with player safety. Then count me in. Easier said than done but maybe not impossible.

I like the idea of retaining the surprise onside kick and reserving/limiting an onside conversion play to late in games. Similar to what the AAF did. It’s about finding that happy medium. I like the strategy, risk/reward and drama attached to an onside conversion attempt late in games.
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

MikeMitchell wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:48 pm
If there’s a solution to the onside kick. I am all for it. There could be a happy medium. Keep the surprise onside kicks but have a formation that both increases the likelihood of executing it and keeps player safety in mind. Easier said than done.

I am for an onside conversion attempt to retain possession but with similar AAF like limitations.Teams won’t attempt them unless they are desperate. Any plays that add an additional layer of risk/reward and drama are fun concepts to me.

Without stats on the injuries, I can't agree with the idea that it is a safety issue. It's a rare play that likely won't happen in every game even once (I have no stats to prove that, though :) )

Every kickoff in rugby is up for grabs and they don't wear any helmets so I think there can be some rules to help with safety, assuming we know what part of the play is more dangerous than other plays.