AAF suspending operations.

Forum for XFL fans to discuss the Alliance of American Football.
BhamXFLFan
Kicker

AAF suspending operations.

Post by BhamXFLFan »

Joker
Quarterback

Re: AAF suspending operations.

Post by Joker »

Bad news. It's not the end, but it sure looks like the end.
Fan of the XFL from the beginning. You may remember me from the original XFLboard.
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com ... erations/
It’s not over. But it’s close.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the Alliance of American Football will be suspending all football operations within the next few hours.

The league won’t be folding, yet. But it seems to be moving in that direction.

The move comes in the aftermath of ominous comments from Tom Dundon, who became majority owner of the AAF several weeks ago. Dundon committed $250 million in funding to the league, but he had the ability to pull funding, and he obviously has.
It's gettin' hot in here...and we about to burn 'em up!

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion may be 2-3 seconds short of playing a full season :?
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/statu ... 73716736
Darren Rovell

Verified account

@darrenrovell
14m14 minutes ago
More
Sources: The AAF will suspend all football operations today. New owner Tom Dundon will lose approximately $70 million on his investment. Dundon makes decision against wishes of league co-founders Charlie Ebersol and Bill Polian.

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion may be 2-3 seconds short of playing a full season :?
Joker
Quarterback

Post by Joker »

Fan of the XFL from the beginning. You may remember me from the original XFLboard.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

I am in complete disbelief. I am waiting for a save at the 11th hour.
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

https://www.actionnetwork.com/nfl/aaf- ... renrovell
Ebersol and Polian’s plan was to develop the league for three years on its own before becoming a feeder system to the NFL. Dundon, however, wanted to create that minor league immediately and sought to use the leverage of folding the AAF to get a deal with the NFL Players Association to better insure a flow between leagues.

As it stood, the NFL collective bargaining agreement would not allow several of Dundon’s asks, including a flexible system between AAF players and NFL practice squads.

While Dundon funded the league payroll, sources say he did not pay vendors that worked with the AAF, many of whom are still looking for their money. It’s of debate what party — either Dundon or the first ownership group, which was diluted by Dundon’s investment — should foot the vendor bills.

When Dundon agreed to back the league, sources say he took unilateral control of the board, meaning any decision he wanted to make, including folding the league, was his to make.

SamTheRam28
Quarterback

Post by SamTheRam28 »

I'm not much of a fan of the league myself, and it's clear the plan of this league was to stifle the XFL, but this is horrible.

Talk about a kick to the balls to all the fans that have gone to these games, and especially the players who had nothing to do with this. The least they could do is finish the season.
St. Louis BattleHawks
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

https://www.cbssports.com/aaf/news/aa ... t-season/
The Alliance of American Football may end before capping off its inaugural season. CBS Sports spoke to a source close to the AAF and could confirm that operations were suspended at least for the day, and "probably indefinitely." However, CBS Sports could not confirm whether the league was folding.

Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

https://twitter.com/BenKercheval/status ... 2370982914
Ben Kercheval

@BenKercheval
Follow Follow @BenKercheval
More
Just got off the phone with a source close to the AAF. A few things:

1. No one, I mean no one, gets why Dundon is doing this. Not the AAF, nor its partners, nor the NFL

2. Just because Dundon is the control owner doesn't mean it's his company. Complications on the horizon.

3. Source confirmed what I previously thought: The idea that Dundon bought the AAF to steal its technology is out there. There will be lawsuits if he does.