Dundon: Decision on future of AAF could come tomorrow

Forum for XFL fans to discuss the Alliance of American Football.
Joker
Quarterback

Dundon: Decision on future of AAF could come tomorrow

Post by Joker »

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -tomorrow/

In the aftermath of Alliance of American Football majority owner Tom Dundon acknowledging last week that the AAF may not make it to year two, PFT reported that the AAF may not make it to the end of year one — and that this past weekend of games could be the last.

Dundon said Monday that a decision on whether the plug will be pulled could come as soon as Tuesday.

He told Daniel Kaplan of SportsBusiness Daily that, without an agreement to use NFL players, there’s a “real possibility” the league will close its doors.

“Trying to figure that out so I will have more information tomorrow,” Dundon said. “It’s pretty fluid. It’s day to day, I would say.”

Dundon has tied the league’s viability to the ability to use bottom-of-roster NFL players. An agreement with the NFL, which hinges on an agreement with the NFLPA, hasn’t been reached. On Sunday, PFT reported that there had been no movement regarding a possible deal.

“It is just what we think would make this the most compelling league,” Dundon told Kaplan. “We don’t know what they [the NFLPA] are going to do, if they will do it. That is kind of our thought. That’s what we are trying to figure out right now.”

Some think that using obscure NFL players won’t help the AAF, if the AAF is poised to fail without those players. And the NFLPA isn’t particularly thrilled with the suggestion that the NFLPA holds the keys to the AAF’s survival.

Dundon is the one who holds the keys for now. If he decides to stop funding the league, the league will need to complete the same kind of Hail Mary pass that brought Dundon on board several weeks ago, or it will indeed be over.
Fan of the XFL from the beginning. You may remember me from the original XFLboard.
tshanks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: Dundon: Decision on future of AAF could come tomorrow

Post by tshanks »

This is a sticky situation. Clearly Dundon isn't happy with his investment. It leads me to believe he didn't know what he was spending his money on.

If Dundon folds the AAF, just wait for the AAF fans to somehow place the blame on the XFL. :P
Lover of the game, and looking forward to Spring football. Reporting on the XFL.
Joker
Quarterback

Post by Joker »

If Dundon doesn't think the AAF is a worthwhile investment, why would any other investor jump in? After all, it was previously reported how Dundon was known as being haphazard with his money. I guess Ebersol may need an new investor that is even more carefree with their money. Too bad, McMahon has already invested in the XFL. :D
Fan of the XFL from the beginning. You may remember me from the original XFLboard.
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

tshanks wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:15 pm If Dundon folds the AAF, just wait for the AAF fans to somehow place the blame on the XFL. :P
Oh, I hope not. At least one of our discussion board members may crank up the rant.
XFLBoard https://xflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
XFLXtra https://xflboard.com/xfl-xtra/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Yeah, I agree that Dundon sounded like a guy who didn't totally understand what he had bought back in Week 2. Must be nice to be able to drop $50 million and just shrug it off.

If it is about to go under, it sure would be nice if they could run Orlando-Arizona for the championship this weekend.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion