“AAF may not make it beyond this weekend”

Forum for XFL fans to discuss the Alliance of American Football.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

“AAF may not make it beyond this weekend”

Post by MikeMitchell »

This is escalating fast. For what it’s worth. Many sources think that this is all just a negotiating ploy to force NFLPA’s hand. Dundon has a history in business of pulling these types of power plays.

There’s an interesting XFL note in this article of how the NFLPA amending their CBA would allow the XFL to also sign players that are on futures contracts.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... s-weekend/

It’s true that the Alliance of American Football may not make it to Year 2. It’s also true that the AAF may not make it to Final Four weekend.

Per a source with knowledge of the league’s plans, games will be played this weekend, Week Eight of the inaugural season. Beyond this weekend, however, it’s entirely possible that the plug will be pulled.

The problem arises from the upstart league’s inability to come to an agreement that would result in certain NFL players being available to the AAF. The NFL is willing to allow players who sign “futures” contracts after the conclusion of a given season to play in the AAF. The NFL Players Association has not yet agreed to the terms of what would amount to a modification of the labor deal between the NFL and the players’ union.

Modification of the labor deal is needed in large part because players who are loaned by NFL teams to the AAF would need protection against serious injury suffered while playing in the developmental league. As the source explained it, those players would receive the same payment that a practice squad player receives if he suffers a season-ending injury. Players also would receive extra compensation from the AAF for games played there, but not necessarily the full salary that gets paid to AAF players with no NFL connection.

[An agreement, if one were to be reached, also would allow players under “futures” contracts to play in the XFL, given the obvious antitrust ramifications that flow from allowing NFL players to play only in the AAF and not in what will be its top competitor./b]

Absent a deal between the NFL and the NFLPA, AAF majority owner Tom Dundon quite possibly will choose to stop funding the league. This would force the league either to find another investor who would keep it afloat (like the league did when it tracked down Dundon) or go out of business.

It’s not the first existential threat the AAF has faced this season. As a different source with knowledge of the courtship of Dundon to buy controlling interest in the league has told PFT, the AAF was “done” before Dundon signed on. If he now signs off, the AAF may indeed be out of business.

And that would truly be a shame. Beyond providing game reps for would-be NFL players who otherwise get none, the AAF gives opportunities to coaches, coordinators, executives, officials, and more. There’s currently talk of ensuring that even more former NFL players would get more of the AAF assistant coaching positions, if the league survives.

For now, underscore the word “if.” Dundon’s comments to USA Today were not posturing or grandstanding. Without a mechanism for using NFL players in its 2020 season, the AAF may not make it to the end of its 2019 season.
FootballYoda
Quarterback

Re: “AAF may not make it beyond this weekend”

Post by FootballYoda »

Potential disturbing news this is. Suffer will the players and the fans they will.
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

download (1).jpeg
download (1).jpeg (14.79 KiB) Viewed 13613 times
But on a more serious note, I think this is just a negotiating ploy to get the NFL to help them. Hopefully the XFL will be able to learn from the AAF's mistakes...
Ready for the team reveals...again
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

If it don't succeed.....try try again.....that's been the mantra of spring startups ever since the USFL. There is a obvious difference between now and then though.....in the 1980's .....information just wasn't as freely available....so we didn't know about all the their troubles off the playing field unless someone leaked to the press. (you know who I mean). Now someone snaps a cellphone photo of an empty AAF stadium..... it's instant and unnecessary bad publicity for the league.....that doesn't help because people see it and get turned off......and won't be willing to even give it a look. The same thing applies to any future start up as well. I could get my freebie XFL ticket.....bring my cam phone and take shots of all the tarped off seats at Century Link. And post them.....and there's nothing to be done about it. So the XFL can learn.....I doubt they can make it work too much better. People not of the hsrdcore fan fabric....just don't seem to want it.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Sounder wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:17 am If it don't succeed.....try try again.....that's been the mantra of spring startups ever since the USFL. There is a obvious difference between now and then though.....in the 1980's .....information just wasn't as freely available....so we didn't know about all the their troubles off the playing field unless someone leaked to the press. (you know who I mean). Now someone snaps a cellphone photo of an empty AAF stadium..... it's instant and unnecessary bad publicity for the league.....that doesn't help because people see it and get turned off......and won't be willing to even give it a look. The same thing applies to any future start up as well. I could get my freebie XFL ticket.....bring my cam phone and take shots of all the tarped off seats at Century Link. And post them.....and there's nothing to be done about it. So the XFL can learn.....I doubt they can make it work too much better. People not of the hsrdcore fan fabric....just don't seem to want it.
Start up leagues always get rough treatment. Sometimes it’s unfair, sometimes it’s legit. All the leagues that have failed, have had money issues. Can’t compete with the NFL or NCAA based on quality, history or reputation. So upstart leagues are usually unfairly judged.

I would argue that the AAF has more backers than other leagues have had. I mean the NFL promotes the AAF on their own website and through all their partners. The UFL just got ignored completely by the mainstream media. The AAF actually has it’s backers in the media.

The leaks have all been true. Steve Spurrier is the one who revealed that the league’s main investor bailed. Everyone expects these teams and games to have empty seats. In some cases, though it’s been pretty alarming. No one expects the AAF to average 30k per game. It’s just when they list 18k and it looks like 700 people are in the stands.

I personally am rooting for the AAF to survive. I have been a football fan for over 3 decades. I would love to see alternate leagues make it.