Majority investor: Alliance of American Football in danger of being discontinued without NFLPA help

Forum for XFL fans to discuss the Alliance of American Football.
Tank55
MVP

Re: Majority investor: Alliance of American Football in danger of being discontinued without NFLPA help

Post by Tank55 »

I appreciate the summary. I respectfully disagree with both. I hope my position is clear -- the NFL will not and should not throw the AAF a lifeline. Excited to see how it plays out.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
Tank55
MVP

Re: Majority investor: Alliance of American Football in danger of being discontinued without NFLPA help

Post by Tank55 »

If it's a fact the NFL is interested in a developmental league, and it's a fact that the AAF represents a good opportunity to make that a reality, surely they will get involved. When that happens, I'll be sure to revisit this thread and eat crow.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

The NFL is not blocked by the NFLPA from extending the support necessary to make sure the AAF doesn't go out of business.

Look, if and when the NFL wants a developmental league, they'll get a developmental league. I know you're using this article as "proof" of your "fact."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/ho ... evelopment
Interviews with a cross section of executives, analysts and observers suggest the landscape is ripe for an NFL-sanctioned developmental league to replace NFL Europe, which was shuttered in 2007. Interested parties envision a domestic incarnation modeled roughly after the NBA's D-League -- perhaps complemented by a training "academy" -- that capitalizes on the thirst for live programming from a growing number of all-sports cable channels.
The problem is that of all the people quoted and cited, none are the owners, which is all that counts when we say "the NFL" in this context. The closest thing is Troy Vincent, who was recently hired to the Commissioner's Office when this article was published and, you'll notice, wasn't permitted to talk about it again going forward. We know Jerry Jones is partial to the idea, but I don't see any evidence that there's anything close to a consensus that the NFL as a whole is interested.

Maybe you should define what you mean when you say "NFL wants a developmental league." What is the NFL in this statement? What is a developmental league?
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Kudos to everyone here on this board. Not to break up a great argument between Tank and Youngorst but this is exactly what this board should be about. Love the debate and the complexities of the arguments. This entire thread has been a great read.
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

And all this time I thought college football was the NFL's "free developmental league - silly me!"
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/ ... -aaf-xfl/
Per a source with knowledge of the situation, there has been no movement regarding efforts to persuade the NFL Players Association to agree to a program that would result in NFL teams loaning certain back-of-roster players to the AAF (and the XFL). Which means that the supposed Hail Mary for the AAF could be landing flat, enhancing the chances of dissolution by the start of the 2020 season — and possibly resulting in the plug being pulled before next weekend.
It's gettin' hot in here...and we about to burn 'em up!

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion may be 2-3 seconds short of playing a full season :?
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

That's a great source, thank you for sharing.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

People think the NFL doesn't need a minor league because the NFL currently thrives without one.
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

How come every time I post something.....I return to find it gone? Am I no longer welcome here? And for what? Actually liking the AAF? It's frustrating.

Or is it because I'm firmly convinced Vince's league .....no matter the preparation time..... really won't fsre much better? Minor league is minor league......no matter how you dress it up. I watchef every week of 2001......I remember how Stone Cold. the Rock and the Undertaker all made csmeos on stadium jumbotrons. ......watch this or I'll smash you with a chair. The nicknames....the mostly nude cheerleaders....Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler on the call. THAT'S the XFL brand. I admit I was entertained. Because I like those things. I'll watch again......we'll see. Oh..... I almost left out the stupid cheerleader locker room vignette.....that was just stupid.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sounder wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:29 pm How come every time I post something.....I return to find it gone? Am I no longer welcome here? And for what? Actually liking the AAF? It's frustrating.
One of your posts was removed for off-topic posting about two weeks ago. Nothing else has been moderated. You seem to be complaining your posts are missing. Other than the one aforementioned post, your posting history is completely intact.