Majority investor: Alliance of American Football in danger of being discontinued without NFLPA help

Forum for XFL fans to discuss the Alliance of American Football.
Joker
Quarterback

Re: Majority investor: Alliance of American Football in danger of being discontinued without NFLPA help

Post by Joker »

Sounder wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:29 pm How come every time I post something.....I return to find it gone? Am I no longer welcome here? And for what? Actually liking the AAF? It's frustrating.
Frankly, I don't see as much AAF bashing in here as you think. I see a lot of people talking about football, and this happens to be the AAF forum, and there are certain AAF issues being discussed. Discussion, not bashing.
Fan of the XFL from the beginning. You may remember me from the original XFLboard.
Sounder
Coach

Re: Majority investor: Alliance of American Football in danger of being discontinued without NFLPA help

Post by Sounder »

No, MLS isn't a minor league. But it's not quite on par with other world leagues where soccer is number one. In America.....soccer is pushing to be number five or six.and the best athletes in this country don't go into soccer as a first choice for the most part. That could change as more and more overprotective mommies keep their sons out of football. Yeah yeah it's off topic.....but someone posed a question.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

My issue with the AAF is poor attendance in most of the cities. Orlando is doing well and so is San Antonio and San Diego. Yes, 20,000 people in a 70,000 seat stadium doesn't look good for San Diego, but anytime the Fleet get 20,000 to their home games, it's a win for the city of San Diego because they have more people showing up for games than the Chargers have for their games, and they have only 27,000 seats in their stadium.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

I would argue that football and basketball as sports have benefited from the strength of the US college game in a way that baseball, hockey, and soccer have not. The NBA got into the developmental game when the college pipeline partially broke down, perhaps concluding that there was no putting the genie completely back in the bottle. The NFL has been able to hold firm on the three-year rule, and I would expect them to do so for as long as possible. It's a symbiotic relationship between the NFL and college football, and I'm not surprised that they have been uninterested in trading their system anyone else's.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Yes, the baseball and football ecosystems evolved differently.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com ... SAo6filY
In the aftermath of Alliance of American Football majority owner Tom Dundon acknowledging last week that the AAF may not make it to year two, PFT reported that the AAF may not make it to the end of year one — and that this past weekend of games could be the last.

Dundon said Monday that a decision on whether the plug will be pulled could come as soon as Tuesday.

He told Daniel Kaplan of SportsBusiness Daily that, without an agreement to use NFL players, there’s a “real possibility” the league will close its doors.

“Trying to figure that out so I will have more information tomorrow,” Dundon said. “It’s pretty fluid. It’s day to day, I would say.”
It's gettin' hot in here...and we about to burn 'em up!

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion may be 2-3 seconds short of playing a full season :?
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

Andibald wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:20 pm https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com ... SAo6filY
In the aftermath of Alliance of American Football majority owner Tom Dundon acknowledging last week that the AAF may not make it to year two, PFT reported that the AAF may not make it to the end of year one — and that this past weekend of games could be the last.

Dundon said Monday that a decision on whether the plug will be pulled could come as soon as Tuesday.

He told Daniel Kaplan of SportsBusiness Daily that, without an agreement to use NFL players, there’s a “real possibility” the league will close its doors.

“Trying to figure that out so I will have more information tomorrow,” Dundon said. “It’s pretty fluid. It’s day to day, I would say.”
Why would Dundon say such negative things about a product he's pouring millions in?
Ready for the team reveals...again
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Andibald wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:20 pm https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com ... SAo6filY

I won’t believe it until it happens.

I’ll play along here though. If the league discontinues. It’s hard for me to believe that it’s just about getting future contract players on a roster. This is about business. Perhaps it’s the financial boost of having the NFL stamp the league officially.

If this league does shut down now. It’s a massive disservice to the fans, coaches and players of the league. You owe it to them to finish out the year. What a slap in the face to everyone who invested their time and energy on the league.
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

The story is behind a pay wall but here is the intro. Looks like he wants the NFL to pay the players?
Dundon Says Decision On AAF's Future Could Come Tomorrow
AAF Chair Tom Dundon said a decision on whether to sh... ...PA and stressed there is a “real possibility” the AAF could shut down without one. The AAF had not previously linked its future to an agreem... A source said they heard the AAF wants a system like MiLB, where MLB pays the play...
https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/D ... =aaf&sc=0

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion may be 2-3 seconds short of playing a full season :?
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

Andibald wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:28 pm The story is behind a pay wall but here is the intro. Looks like he wants the NFL to pay the players?
Dundon Says Decision On AAF's Future Could Come Tomorrow
AAF Chair Tom Dundon said a decision on whether to sh... ...PA and stressed there is a “real possibility” the AAF could shut down without one. The AAF had not previously linked its future to an agreem... A source said they heard the AAF wants a system like MiLB, where MLB pays the play...
https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/D ... =aaf&sc=0
I wonder if he wants all players paid by NFL or just the loaners?