Kudos To San Antonio

Forum for XFL fans to discuss the Alliance of American Football.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Kudos To San Antonio

Post by MikeMitchell »

It’s been a mixed bag with what the AAF has gotten wrong and right thus far in the first year of their league. Just getting a league up and running is an accomplishment in and of itself, but there’s no denying the success of San Antonio in the AAF.

Unlike poor football markets like Arizona, Salt Lake, Memphis and Atlanta. Texas is football country and I am happy for San Antonio. The AAF has hit a home run with this team and market. Orlando and San Diego have done ok while the rest of the league’s markets have struggled, but San Antonio is the diamond of the league. The AAF got it right choosing this market. The original XFL dropped the ball not having a team in Texas. The AAF choosing The Commanders as their premiere game on CBS was also smart. The perception and first impression of the league would have been worse, had they chosen Salt Lake to host the premiere opener.

It’s a shame that there’s no chance of The Commanders hosting a championship game. They might have had a chance to get 40 to 50k in that building. Perhaps in the future, they can choose the Alamo Dome, if they go with a neutral site championship idea. Ticket sales in Vegas were so poor that the league found an out and used it to play in a small venue in Frisco Texas. Only weeks away from the game. They should be able to sell out that game especially if San Antonio gets to that game. 12k is not a hard figure to reach.

I am happy for that market. Good job.
Tank55
MVP

Re: Kudos To San Antonio

Post by Tank55 »

I think it's worth remembering that all the teams got to do training camp in San Antonio. That's easy access for fans and reporters. The XFL might want to consider not co-locating all eight teams, and instead giving the markets a real chance to feel like their team belongs to them. There are financial and football reasons to group the teams together, but there's a cost associated as well.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Tank55 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:04 pm I think it's worth remembering that all the teams got to do training camp in San Antonio. That's easy access for fans and reporters. The XFL might want to consider not co-locating all eight teams, and instead giving the markets a real chance to feel like their team belongs to them. There are financial and football reasons to group the teams together, but there's a cost associated as well.
I think they are going to set up training and facilities locally for each team. There might be a few different stages of camp.

There’s a good chance that the league’s first major camp/tryouts will take place in Houston. That’s already been discussed and proposed.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Luck definitely said they were going to co-locate at one point, but you're much more in the loop, so I'll be glad to hear that they've reconsidered.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

San Antonio's Alamodome is the one stadium in the AAF where you can feel the energy from the fans. If I wasn't an Iron fan I'd be a fan of the Commanders because of that.
Ready for the team reveals...again