Johnny Manziel signs agreement with AAF

Forum for XFL fans to discuss the Alliance of American Football.
Tank55
MVP

Re: Johnny Manziel signs agreement with AAF

Post by Tank55 »

I watched a lot of Manziel in Montreal; it went better than most people seem to think. The first game was a disaster -- he only had a week's worth of practice and probably wasn't ready to be out there -- but he got consistently better and looked extremely dangerous before he got concussed. A few things to keep in mind: he was traded midseason and didn't get to go through training camp with his team. That's obviously the case here as well, and it's too bad for him that he can't just have a "normal" cycle. Second is that the Alouettes are terrible. Receivers dropping passes, constant pressure; it wasn't an easy situation for any quarterback. Finally, it's worth remembering that the league kicked Manziel out, not the team. They definitely wanted him back.

With all that being said, I don't think he's going to move the needle much for the AAF. CFL definitely experienced a boost, but there's diminishing returns with each re-debut. I don't think the XFL should be a disappointed he's landed elsewhere, especially as the seek to project an image of class.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: Johnny Manziel signs agreement with AAF

Post by MarkNelson »

Tank55 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:01 pm I watched a lot of Manziel in Montreal; it went better than most people seem to think.
I watched too. When he started in Montreal, there was a buzz as everyone wanted to see what he was going to do. And you are right, he didn't do much at first. But I think television rating were excellent.

When he starts for the AAF, I am sure there will be a boost in tv ratings and gate attendance. I'm sure many people see this as something to get excited about. Of course, it's his first game, so he may flop. But, if he tears up the field, the AAF may consider this to be their season 1 success story. It will be fun to watch.
UFLBoard: https://uflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers