Even in football crazy Birmingham the stands are quite empty

Forum for XFL fans to discuss the Alliance of American Football.
Joker
Quarterback

Even in football crazy Birmingham the stands are quite empty

Post by Joker »

I am a fan of the AAF, and I can't understand why they stands are empty in football crazy Alabama, especially when the weather looks nice and the game is against a major divisional rival.
Fan of the XFL from the beginning. You may remember me from the original XFLboard.
tshanks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: Even in football crazy Birmingham the stands are quite empty

Post by tshanks »

They are having trouble building a fan base. Maybe it is building, but it seems slow.
Lover of the game, and looking forward to Spring football. Reporting on the XFL.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Joker wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:01 pm I am a fan of the AAF, and I can't understand why they stands are empty in football crazy Alabama, especially when the weather looks nice and the game is against a major divisional rival.
A reported 13,000 at the game. 68 degree weather with the league’s two best teams record wise.

Not good. It’s a combination of people not caring, ticket pricing and poor promotion/marketing.
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

MikeMitchell wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:20 pm
Joker wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:01 pm I am a fan of the AAF, and I can't understand why they stands are empty in football crazy Alabama, especially when the weather looks nice and the game is against a major divisional rival.
A reported 13,000 at the game. 68 degree weather with the league’s two best teams record wise.

Not good. It’s a combination of people not caring, ticket pricing and poor promotion/marketing.
It started off at 17k the first two games. What happened?
Ready for the team reveals...again
tshanks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by tshanks »

I wonder if bad publicity, such as the story of how the league almost missed payroll, has put people off. They are expecting the league to fold, so they aren't going to get behind it.

This may be true in Birmingham, where there is a long history of football teams coming and going.
Lover of the game, and looking forward to Spring football. Reporting on the XFL.
BhamXFLFan
Kicker

Post by BhamXFLFan »

Again. Weather drove people away. Tornado Watch talk all week. Promotion has been pretty good. They have been big with giving tickets to kids in schools. Also, they have partnerships with local businesses. EX. If u buy 2 pizzas from Papa Johns you get Bogo tickets. And if the iron win you get 50% off. We only have 1 home game left so it should be interesting.
Joker
Quarterback

Post by Joker »

It's good to hear all the ways the AAF is trying to promote the Iron. Hope for good weather forecast on the final game! I'd love to see stadium with at least double the fans.
Fan of the XFL from the beginning. You may remember me from the original XFLboard.
ev1357
Kicker

Post by ev1357 »

I was in attendance for the home opener and Saturday's game. I would've bet money the attendance was better on Saturday. Most people that are familiar with Legion Field believe the actual attendance was at least 20k. I guess they're giving away thousands of free tickets, which isn't great, but the atmosphere has been really fun at the games.
BhamXFLFan
Kicker

Post by BhamXFLFan »

ev1357 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:04 pm I was in attendance for the home opener and Saturday's game. I would've bet money the attendance was better on Saturday. Most people that are familiar with Legion Field believe the actual attendance was at least 20k. I guess they're giving away thousands of free tickets, which isn't great, but the atmosphere has been really fun at the games.
Correct. They think they are selling short on Bham attendance.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

There's zero chance this league is underselling the attendance. It is possible they're overselling the attendance less than they did in Week 1.

From what I saw on the Sky Cam feed, I guesstimated it around 9K.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion