Discuss Alliance of American Football here!

Forum for XFL fans to discuss the Alliance of American Football.
admin
Site Admin

Discuss Alliance of American Football here!

Post by admin »

New forum for discussion of AAF topics.
Sounder
Coach

Re: Discuss Alliance of American Football here!

Post by Sounder »

I'm starting this with positive news......since what I've seen thus far on these boards makes me believe you all are not fans of this league. The AAF is moving the "Alliance Bowl" (that's all me).....championship game from aging Sam Boyd Stadium in Vegas, to the Ford Center at the Star in Frisco, Texas. It's owned by Jerry Jones and it is the Cowboys practice facility. Jerry is a big fan and supporter for the AAF so that's an awesomef friend to have.
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

So now Vince wants to try. again..... be smart and stay away from those over tested and over failed next markets and show this same thing in NFL cities where tthey're accustomed to the best the sport offers. Maybe you'll benefit from trickle down......but likely no. Good luck. Hey Vince......wouldn't be easier and cheaper to lobby for an NFL team of your own than bankrolling a minor league? How bout finding seven cabillionaire friends and start a top tier league that challenges the NFL? THAT'S what the people want......but then again......the USFL tried it and people folded their arms and went "meh".
Last edited by Sounder on Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

But of course.....Boyd Stadium isn't the issue.....they won't need 39000 seats......the Star facility seats 12000 and plays host to lacrosse as well as Cowboy practices. Its likely not the grandiose vision Charlie and Bill had......or even many of you out there had. I've seen leagues come and go......and i have often heard how "gee.....it would be cooool if there was a level of pro football post collegiate players could turn to"....... naturally....people yawn at this. Then, the league is ridiculed for everything from stupid team names to poor quality games, poor marketing, lack of tv.... whatever. It isn't that......because there isn't anything they can do right. I see the same gyrations over and over. It's tough to build something like this. If they had the luxury of time (not prelaunch time)..... but time to grow..... gain familiarity and acceptance......it could sustain. In the minds of judgemental azzes on social media...... this move is likely to NOT be seen as a positive move for the AAF....but a death knell and that would be too bad.
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

Sorry.....those last two articles were a little out of order. So anyway...... a rival league to the NFL would only drive up the cost of business. Oh sure..,.players would LOVE THAT...... perhaps if the wealthy men who made up the USFL would've realized that much more capital than they thought they needed WOULD be needed because their very presence drove up cost .......they woudn't have started.
SamTheRam28
Quarterback

Post by SamTheRam28 »

Sounder wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:18 am So now Vince wants to try. again..... be smart and stay away from those over tested and over failed next markets and show this same thing in NFL cities where tthey're accustomed to the best the sport offers. Maybe you'll benefit from trickle down......but likely no. Good luck. Hey Vince......wouldn't be easier and cheaper to lobby for an NFL team of your own than bankrolling a minor league? How bout finding seven cabillionaire friends and start a top tier league that challenges the NFL? THAT'S what the people want......but then again......the USFL tried it and people folded their arms and went "meh".
What are you on about? The 2 cities with the best attendance in the original XFL were NFL cities. They chose great sports cities in eight of the best TV markets in America. And if you paid any attention, the USFL was successful until owners in over their heads ran out of money.

And clearly, Vince doesn't want to be part of the NFL, he wants to have his own alternative league.
St. Louis BattleHawks
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

Well.....tell me this then...... if the USFL lot had toed the line and all followed the "Dixon Plan"..... which called for strict adherence to a 1.1 mil cap exclusive of two " star quality" players to make it 1.8. The proposed total per team projected revenues came between 5 or 6 mil. Those came to fruition......but the demand to put a quality product on the field to draw fans and tv viewers caused them to invest over what they were willing to. Then the NFL..... you were drafting from the same pool of college talent and of course...... that would drive up cost. Six of the twelve owners dropped out...... they rashly expanded to eighteen teams so that the new owners fees would cover their losses. Michigan won the title..... but lost six mil alone. They were in deep doodoo...... they could've folded..... then along came Mr. Trump.......I'll end it there. Only thing I'll add is that as far as the general public knew......it was successful..... they had great scouting.... the play was improving immensely as quality players arrived..... and even if the fall announcement and the fallout from it never happened..... I would've said they make it maybe to the end of the eighties.... then they would need to strike some kind of deal with the NFL to stop the economic hemmorage of a two major competing league landscape.
steinerfhc
Quarterback

Post by steinerfhc »

Rapaia wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:45 am How long does this league last?

Has anyone been watching?

Do you care about it?

I don't see how these sorts of leagues can flourish in a place like NA (North America - America and Canada) because I do think we're in a situation where most of us have "sports fatigue" - there's just so much, year 'round, to keep up occupied: NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, MLS, NCAA, Arena Football (not to mention the XFL apparently coming back soon) and so on...

I don't see this league lasting long, though I really have no dog in the hunt.
Well, you must not kept up on things. The league didn't even finish the first season ending in May, and this league is No more. Because of a very unorganized management of the league that didn't have everything ready before they launched. The XFL IS coming back and spent the last two year getting everything lined up and IMO done a very good job doing that. Yes there is a lot of sports options but not everyone is a fan of every league. Sports fatigue isnt a thing is you like sports. The XFL main things there going against is later season NHL, starts of MLS and MLB. Now those sports and football fans may not always cross over.

If done right it can work and so for they have done it right. They have a NFL like TV deal and schedule. AAF didn't have that. They have legit money backing it. AAF claimed it but never fully had that. The XFL has built a very legit front office and management team for the different areas and the team presidents are all very legit personal. Compared to what the AAF had which was good HC's but and some talented players, which was about all they have.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Well he did mention XFL at the end, but I don't know how anybody could have missed the AAF's collapse. Thankfully it didn't quite make it to Paul Pelosi telling Howard David at halftime of the second to last UFL game "Yes we will pay the players" but the last game in SA just seemed like a morgue and you knew