NHL Owner Rescues The AAF With Much Needed Cash

Forum for XFL fans to discuss the Alliance of American Football.
XFL_FAN
Coach

Re: NHL Owner Rescues The AAF With Much Needed Cash

Post by XFL_FAN »

GDAWG wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:05 pm
XFL_FAN wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:36 pm
GDAWG wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:53 pm I like how the AAF fans over on Reddit believe this cash will last for a few years.

The AAF fans on Reddit just take whatever the AAF says. They don't think for themselves. Early Tuesday morning, they were pessimistic about the AAF lasting, then late Tuesday evening they're talking about how it's "a glitch", and that the XFL made this news up to hurt the AAF. Now they're saying that the reports were correct now that Spurrier has come out with the details. They keep going back and forth. Wouldn't surprise me at all if tomorrow they say that Spurrier misspoke or something.
They also have asinine ideas for expansion too such as Idaho, North Dakota and West Virginia. It's too soon to talk expansion.
If you really want to see AAF fans at their worst on Reddit, read the article and comments here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/aafb/comment ... nt_whats/

Crazy...
Ready for the team reveals...again
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

XFL_FAN wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:08 pm
XFL_FAN wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:36 pm
The AAF fans on Reddit just take whatever the AAF says. They don't think for themselves. Early Tuesday morning, they were pessimistic about the AAF lasting, then late Tuesday evening they're talking about how it's "a glitch", and that the XFL made this news up to hurt the AAF. Now they're saying that the reports were correct now that Spurrier has come out with the details. They keep going back and forth. Wouldn't surprise me at all if tomorrow they say that Spurrier misspoke or something.
They also have asinine ideas for expansion too such as Idaho, North Dakota and West Virginia. It's too soon to talk expansion.
If you really want to see AAF fans at their worst on Reddit, read the article and comments here:

Crazy...
I am rooting for the AAF but it’s stuff like this, that really ticks me off. XFL2K is basically picking up on what credible sources are reporting. There’s no smear campaign. Just silly.
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

MikeMitchell wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:01 pm
XFL_FAN wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:08 pm

Crazy...
I am rooting for the AAF but it’s stuff like this, that really ticks me off. XFL2K is basically picking up on what credible sources are reporting. There’s no smear campaign. Just silly.
It's pretty much become a meme that anything bad said against the AAF must have come from the XFL in some way.

Really ridiculous :roll: ...
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

I am also rooting for the AAF.

One of the issues of the AAF is that they went into the four cities (Birmingham, Memphis, Orlando and San Antonio) synonymous for failed alternative football leagues. Their championship game is in another one of those cities, Las Vegas. Unlike the other four cities though, Las Vegas finally sits at the big kids table next year. Why the AAF chose not to go try out new markets who have never had any pro teams is puzzling.

Atlanta and Arizona is equally puzzling.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

GDAWG wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:17 pm I am also rooting for the AAF.

One of the issues of the AAF is that they went into the four cities (Birmingham, Memphis, Orlando and San Antonio) synonymous for failed alternative football leagues. Their championship game is in another one of those cities, Las Vegas. Unlike the other four cities though, Las Vegas finally sits at the big kids table next year. Why the AAF chose not to go try out new markets who have never had any pro teams is puzzling.

I agree. If you are going to go NFL markets. Go to strong markets that love football and have a history of strong drawing power

Most likely The AAF rushed into it and took whatever venues and cities could have them on short notice.

The AAF tried St. Louis but a scheduling conflict at The Dome forced them to look elsewhere.

I have always rooted for Birmingham and Memphis to make it in the pro game but they have failed countless times.

I could live with San Antonio and Orlando. Tapping into Texas and Florida is always a decent strategy but you are absolutely right about Salt Lake or Arizona or Atlanta. Perhaps the new owner will choose markets with potential for growth and stability.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

MikeMitchell wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:31 pm

I agree. If you are going to go NFL markets. Go to strong markets that love football and have a history of strong drawing power

Most likely The AAF rushed into it and took whatever venues and cities could have them on short notice.

The AAF tried St. Louis but a scheduling conflict at The Dome forced them to look elsewhere.

I have always rooted for Birmingham and Memphis to make it in the pro game but they have failed countless times.

I could live with San Antonio and Orlando. Tapping into Texas and Florida is always a decent strategy but you are absolutely right about Salt Lake or Arizona or Atlanta. Perhaps the new owner will choose markets with potential for growth and stability.
The thing was is that until they hired Bob Stoops, I was skeptical of how much media coverage Dallas XFL was going to get, as we have a WNBA team, the Dallas Wings that get zero coverage and FC Dallas that get little coverage. None of the local sports stations talked about the Wings when they hired their new coach, instead it was the Cowboys, Rangers, Stars and Mavericks. When Dallas XFL was first announced to play at Globe Life Park, there was a brief 30-45 second blurb about it in the news. Dallas XFL ends up hiring Bob Stoops and they become the lead story on most of the local sports casts because they covered him for 16 years and Dallas is a big OU market with a lot of OU alumni. That is a genius move on the part of Oliver Luck, hiring a coach/GM for Dallas that the Dallas media has covered for years so that Dallas XFL can get some air time in the DFW media.
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

And AAF fans will tell you that the poor attendance in Arizona and (reportedly) Atlanta shows that NFL markets won't work for the XFL. But you guys are right. Atlanta and Phoenix aren't really considered "football" cities. Now Dallas, Houston, New York, Tampa Bay, Washington, Seattle, those are "football" cities. LA and St. Louis are still more of "football" cities than Atlanta and Phoenix.
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

GDAWG wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:42 pm

The thing was is that until they hired Bob Stoops, I was skeptical of how much media coverage Dallas XFL was going to get, as we have a WNBA team, the Dallas Wings that get zero coverage and FC Dallas that get little coverage. None of the local sports stations talked about the Wings when they hired their new coach, instead it was the Cowboys, Rangers, Stars and Mavericks. When Dallas XFL was first announced to play at Globe Life Park, there was a brief 30-45 second blurb about it in the news. Dallas XFL ends up hiring Bob Stoops and they become the lead story on most of the local sports casts because they covered him for 16 years and Dallas is a big OU market with a lot of OU alumni. That is a genius move on the part of Oliver Luck, hiring a coach/GM for Dallas that the Dallas media has covered for years so that Dallas XFL can get some air time in the DFW media.
Now if Dallas can get a "big" name player to add with Stoops, then XFL Dallas would be cooking! Glad to hear that the Stoops hiring really helped them media-wise locally ;)
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

GDAWG wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:42 pm

That’s why these coach/GM hires are important from a local ties standpoint. So far the XFL is 3 for 3 with Stoops in Dallas, Hamilton in DC and Zorn in Seattle. All 3 have strong local ties.

The Dallas XFL team is intriguing. Their stadium is going to be retrofitted and is the ideal middle ground size. You can not only draw from the DFW market and even other parts from Texas, particularly when Houston plays them but there could even be some Oklahoma fans who travel to the games. Obviously Bob Stoops is a big key in all of that.
SamTheRam28
Quarterback

Post by SamTheRam28 »

BhamXFLFan wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:14 pm
MikeMitchell wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:11 pm
XFL_FAN wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:48 pm Spurrier: Original investor "bailed out."

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ ... story.html
Thanks for posting this. Clear evidence that the league’s original investor bailed and Tom Dundon made the save.

This whole Dundon deal is being painted as “fake news”
Which makes me wonder.. Why pull out so early??
Conspiracy time. Maybe he heard about the lawsuit that just came out and decided the league wasn't worth it. I have nothing to support that, but it's something to consider.
St. Louis BattleHawks