NHL Owner Rescues The AAF With Much Needed Cash

Forum for XFL fans to discuss the Alliance of American Football.
wellington
Linebacker

Re: NHL Owner Rescues The AAF With Much Needed Cash

Post by wellington »

I don’t really see the Alliance and XFL as competitors but for Spring Football to succeed it’s going to take a combined effort and I foresee a merger at some point. Let’s see Tom and Vince team up to create a viable league...

New York
Orlando
Raleigh
Washington

Birmingham
Dallas
Houston
San Antonio

Oakland
Portland
San Diego
Salt Lake
The Name Prediction Signatures Are Here:
New York Empire
DC Defenders
Tampa Bay Tridents
St. Louis Rivermen

Seattle Sasquatch
LA Stars
Houston Roughnecks
Dallas Stampede
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

BhamXFLFan wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:19 pm The real reason they are talking expansion is that they think a Carolina team will happen now with this new owner. So that means some other city would have to get a team to make it even.
Carolina makes sense. That’s a stronger market than people realize. It wouldn’t shock me if one of the failing AAF teams end up moving there.

After week 1, before the Dundon story. Supporters of the AAF were already talking about 16 team and 20 team leagues. That’s a recipe for disaster. Create revenue first to fund the 8 teams you already have. Then consider growth. They should be ok for now but it was ridiculous after week one, how everyone was putting teams in New Mexico and Hawaii. You gotta have profits to pull that off. Or another Dundon with 250 million dollars and even then funding 16 teams with no revenue is not going to work.

I could see two new teams max next year but only if the league gets a tv rights deal or somehow strikes it rich with their technology by seasons end.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

wellington wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:33 pm I don’t really see the Alliance and XFL as competitors but for Spring Football to succeed it’s going to take a combined effort and I foresee a merger at some point. Let’s see Tom and Vince team up to create a viable league...

New York
Orlando
Raleigh
Washington

Birmingham
Dallas
Houston
San Antonio

Oakland
Portland
San Diego
Salt Lake
I wrote about this in my alliance between Ebersol and McMahon article. These two leagues exist because of Dick Ebersol and Vince McMahon’s vision back in 2000.

If Tom Dundon wants to get away from Bill Polian’s goal of being what the Gatorade League is for the NBA.

The AAF and XFL have to make it to 2021 first. Then start talking merger. Perhaps start it with a champion vs champion game. It’s fun to dream. It would truly become what The USFL should have been.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

If the Dundon experiment fails, I would think that the AAF would try to sell it to the NFL first before any potential merger. And the NFL would make drastic changes to the league in regards to teams. I would think they would want a few teams above the Mason-Dixon Line if they were to buy the AAF. The issue would be the weather, so that would eliminate most major cities except Detroit and Minnesota.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

GDAWG wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:17 am If the Dundon experiment fails, I would think that the AAF would try to sell it to the NFL first before any potential merger. And the NFL would make drastic changes to the league in regards to teams. I would think they would want a few teams above the Mason-Dixon Line if they were to buy the AAF. The issue would be the weather, so that would eliminate most major cities except Detroit and Minnesota.
The NFL tried this developmental league deal before and they lost hundreds of millions of dollars. A little over 10 years ago, they finally stopped the bleeding and closed up shop.

In 2019, the NFL could keep it afloat and potentially make it work. Football is much harder to operate as a minor league than baseball or basketball. Those sports are so much cheaper by leaps and bounds to run. They’re dirt cheap. You gotta bank on the public caring about a minor league enough to see any return on the hundreds of millions of millions of dollars spent per season. The Gatorade league is great for basketball but how many people actually pay attention to those leagues.
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

BhamXFLFan wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:21 pm
XFL_FAN wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:31 pm
BhamXFLFan wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:24 pm
I mean he did say during super bowl week that broadcast partners would be announced in a week or two. :lol:
Ok, you got me there :lol:

I still trust Ollie more than the AAF.
I agree with you 100% and I have a local AAF team.
Have you been to any Iron games? If so, how was the stadium experience like?
Ready for the team reveals...again
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

wellington wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:33 pm I don’t really see the Alliance and XFL as competitors but for Spring Football to succeed it’s going to take a combined effort and I foresee a merger at some point. Let’s see Tom and Vince team up to create a viable league...

New York
Orlando
Raleigh
Washington

Birmingham
Dallas
Houston
San Antonio

Oakland
Portland
San Diego
Salt Lake
Nice Signature 8-)
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

MikeMitchell wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:12 am
GDAWG wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:17 am If the Dundon experiment fails, I would think that the AAF would try to sell it to the NFL first before any potential merger. And the NFL would make drastic changes to the league in regards to teams. I would think they would want a few teams above the Mason-Dixon Line if they were to buy the AAF. The issue would be the weather, so that would eliminate most major cities except Detroit and Minnesota.
The NFL tried this developmental league deal before and they lost hundreds of millions of dollars. A little over 10 years ago, they finally stopped the bleeding and closed up shop.

In 2019, the NFL could keep it afloat and potentially make it work. Football is much harder to operate as a minor league than baseball or basketball. Those sports are so much cheaper by leaps and bounds to run. They’re dirt cheap. You gotta bank on the public caring about a minor league enough to see any return on the hundreds of millions of millions of dollars spent per season. The Gatorade league is great for basketball but how many people actually pay attention to those leagues.
This is why I like the XFL more than the AAF. The AAF has come out blatantly as the NFL's minor league, and the XFL actually wants to be a viable sports property on its own. Kind of funny how the AAF said they weren't a minor league early on, but then they changed their minds when money started to get tight.
BhamXFLFan
Kicker

Post by BhamXFLFan »

XFL_FAN wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:59 am
XFL_FAN wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:31 pm
Ok, you got me there :lol:

I still trust Ollie more than the AAF.
I have not and will most likely not go to any of the games due to not really liking the AAF. Would rather watch them on TV anyways. I have friends that go and enjoy it though. The team is good though!
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

BhamXFLFan wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:55 am
XFL_FAN wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:59 am

I have not and will most likely not go to any of the games due to not really liking the AAF. Would rather watch them on TV anyways. I have friends that go and enjoy it though. The team is good though!
I'm a fan of them. Luis Perez's story is pretty cool. I really picked them because of TRich playing for the Colts. Even though he was awful, he was a name I recognized. I almost chose the Express, thank goodness I didn't...