AAF Update Thread

Forum for XFL fans to discuss the Alliance of American Football.
XFL_FAN
Coach

AAF Update Thread

Post by XFL_FAN »

Some pictures say 1000 words, this is one of them:
Attachments
qvcR0bY_2.jpg
qvcR0bY_2.jpg (59.31 KiB) Viewed 5336 times
Ready for the team reveals...again
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: AAF Update Thread

Post by MikeMitchell »

XFL_FAN wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:57 pm Some pictures say 1000 words, this is one of them:
Alabama is always pegged as a great football market. There have been so many teams in alternate leagues that played there and never drew well. That’s a big barn too. 10k in that looks dreadful
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

MikeMitchell wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:15 pm
XFL_FAN wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:57 pm Some pictures say 1000 words, this is one of them:
Alabama is always pegged as a great football market. There have been so many teams in alternate leagues that played there and never drew well. That’s a big barn too. 10k in that looks dreadful
Some people wanted the XFL to go to B-Ham but they didn't fare well there last time so I thought it would be a bad idea to go there again. Remember, this is the Iron's opener. What will the picture be 3-4 weeks from now?
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

This game right now is a sleeper. So far we've got a 40-6 blowout, a 9-0 slugfest, and a surprisingly good 15-6 game. 33% is good in baseball, but not when it comes to a percentage of watchable sports games. I wonder what the attendance will come back for the Iron-Express game and the Arizona-Salt Lake game? I assume lower than yesterday's attendance. The AAF was smart to nationally televise the higher-attending games so that the perception of them would be better.
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

Finally some scoring, but it's all B-Ham. 26-0 now and the game is really boring... The Express and Legends are definitely going to end up being some of the worst teams in the AAF.
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

A few hours ago the AAF posted on Twitter that their games on CBSSN couldn't be streamed on their site. This has left some viewers to completely leave the league after watching last night. Here were some comments I compiled:
Great way to shoot yourself in the foot right off the bat...

I enjoyed the first game, was nice knowing ya!

Welp, no more watching for me this year. I was excited yesterday and now I couldn't care less about this league.

Meh! There I was hoping to enjoy this new league. Oh well, that was short lived.

This is not good. Epic fail. Why should I bother trying to find which games should be available and which games won't...Waiting for the XFL...

Well it was fun while it lasted. Now back to reality, GO BEARS! #OverBeforeItStarted

...PR nightmare! ... It's cut off a huge part of your fanbase...

Thanks for killing the Birmingham market today. You've lost a fan already.

Excellent strategy by @TheAAF and @CBS. Judging from the comment section here, lousy way to grow your audience for a start up league.

Chose to stop watching. Was looking forward to the alternative the AAF was offering, but I'm not willing to pay for additional TV services...

...Lost the 5 people (assume he means his family) that came over to see the new league.

Fail. Grow your fanbase by putting your games on broadcast TV.

And there's plenty more comments like these that it would take forever to compile. In short, when people were saying;"Why is the XFL going to big markets?" they failed to realize that the TV deal is a huge part of the league. In XFL 2020, there will be opportunities to watch games on broadcast TV every week. This is a huge inside track for the XFL in the fight for spring football. The sad part is the AAF had a pretty good product going in that Commanders-Fleet game. Good national broadcast, great fan environment, sloppy play but there were still some great plays (that hit on the Fleet QB) and the refs kept the flags in their pockets for the most part. Unfortunately the lack of an extensive broadcast TV deal leaves an uphill battle for the AAF. Meanwhile, the XFL's path to success in 2020 remains a good possibility.
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

That is a picture of 17,039 fans on opening day for their team:

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/ ... 822291002/
The announced attendance for Sunday’s Express-Iron game was 17,039.
XtremeFanForever
Coach

Post by XtremeFanForever »

Their ratings yesterday were reportedly pretty strong, but then, so was week 1 of the 2001 season.

Interesting how attendance could factor into the league's success. I would say "tv revenue is what counts the most" but that seems contrary to the AAF's approach; shunning the big TV markets in favor of targeting smaller, football-starved markets.

Lackluster attendance probably isn't cause for alarm just yet as long as TV ratings are solid. Of course, that could be a problem next year when seven of the biggest TV markets in the country will all have their own teams in another league they can watch.
RIP Xtreme; forever champions

RIP Wildcats; forever 2-3
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

Right now this Hotshots game sound like a High School game. NFL Network keeping that camera angle low... 8-)
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

Easily the lowest attended game this weekend for the AAF:
DzFhpnXWkAMbg54.jpeg
DzFhpnXWkAMbg54.jpeg (36.54 KiB) Viewed 5284 times