AAF Update Thread

Forum for XFL fans to discuss the Alliance of American Football.
MikeSherman
Receiver

Re: AAF Update Thread

Post by MikeSherman »

San Antonio and Orlando are the only cities pulling their weight for the AAF. Laying failure at their feet seems backward to me.
MikeSherman
Receiver

Post by MikeSherman »

I assume these green seat covers are for UAB, but they make the stadium look even worse for the Iron. At least the empty seats match their color scheme.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

MikeSherman wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:32 pm San Antonio and Orlando are the only cities pulling their weight for the AAF. Laying failure at their feet seems backward to me.
Those two cities usually do well, but it's the leagues that end up failing.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

GDAWG wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:06 pm Birmingham unveiled their mascot.

The AAF has fallen into the same traps that other alternative football leagues (including the first version of the XFL) fall into: teams in Birmingham, Memphis, Orlando and San Antonio. Every football league that has come after the AFL has at least had two teams in one of those four cities, plus Sacramento and Las Vegas:

World Football League: Birmingham, Memphis, Orlando and San Antonio
USFL: Birmingham, Memphis, Orlando, San Antonio
World League of American Football: Birmingham, Orlando, San Antonio, Sacramento
CFL in America: Birmingham, Memphis, Las Vegas, San Antonio, Sacramento
XFL 1.0: Birmingham, Memphis, Las Vegas, Orlando
UFL: Orlando, Las Vegas, Sacramento
AAF: Birmingham, Memphis, Orlando and San Antonio

The Freedom Football League will reportedly have Orlando and Birmingham.

It used to be Birmingham, Memphis, Las Vegas, Orlando, Sacramento and San Antonio as the six cities alternative football leagues would go to for teams. Las Vegas has now told all five of these other cities to "stick it where the sun don't shine" now that it's going to be in the NFL soon.
Good post. I still like Orlando and San Antonio, but they are secondary markets. I consider them decent second tier markets. Decent enough to sustain teams but not world breakers either. Kind of like Jacksonville in the NFL.

It's a shame but Memphis and Birmingham are minor league markets. They have never proven to be major league markets. More dissapointed with Birmingham than Memphis. You gotta go to large markets that can support pro football.
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

Under 7k... And the team is undefeated too.

https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2019/0 ... ndance-13/
The Iron were not the only thing that took a beating, their attendance dropped as well. Birmingham has registered over 17,000 fans twice this year, and in their third home game of the season the Iron only had 6,539 in attendance. It was the worst hit of the year for any AAF game.
Ready for the team reveals...again
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

MikeMitchell wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:28 pm

The AAF has fallen into the same traps that other alternative football leagues (including the first version of the XFL) fall into: teams in Birmingham, Memphis, Orlando and San Antonio. Every football league that has come after the AFL has at least had two teams in one of those four cities, plus Sacramento and Las Vegas:

It used to be Birmingham, Memphis, Las Vegas, Orlando, Sacramento and San Antonio as the six cities alternative football leagues would go to for teams. Las Vegas has now told all five of these other cities to "stick it where the sun don't shine" now that it's going to be in the NFL soon.
Good post. I still like Orlando and San Antonio, but they are secondary markets. I consider them decent second tier markets. Decent enough to sustain teams but not world breakers either. Kind of like Jacksonville in the NFL.

It's a shame but Memphis and Birmingham are minor league markets. They have never proven to be major league markets. More dissapointed with Birmingham than Memphis. You gotta go to large markets that can support pro football.
I wonder how happy Las Vegas is being an NFL City. The options are:

A. Happy
B. Very Happy
C. Extremely Happy
D. So Excited, that they just can't Hide it. They are about to lose control and they think they like it.
E. All of the Above
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

GDAWG wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:37 pm

A. Happy
B. Very Happy
C. Extremely Happy
D. So Excited, that they just can't Hide it. They are about to lose control and they think they like it.
E. All of the Above
Funny. Gambling is only going to make that location better. The NFL can afford to have a new kid on the block show up in their league like Vegas. The logo draws money by itself. You know how many diehard nfl fans are going to want to book trips to Vegas to watch their Steelers, Cowboys or Jets play The Raiders on the road
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

MikeMitchell wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:57 pm
GDAWG wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:37 pm

A. Happy
B. Very Happy
C. Extremely Happy
E. All of the Above
Funny. Gambling is only going to make that location better. The NFL can afford to have a new kid on the block show up in their league like Vegas. The logo draws money by itself. You know how many diehard nfl fans are going to want to book trips to Vegas to watch their Steelers, Cowboys or Jets play The Raiders on the road
For so long Vegas was one of the go-to cities for these alternative leagues. Now they are in the NFL and they are likely over the moon that they are finally at the big kids table. They know that they will have the Raiders for more than one season so the Raiders are likely to pack that place, at least for the first season. It's a dome so they don't have to deal with the weather conditions.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

This isn't good:
AAF attendance has been a pretty hot topic because everyone wants to know how the league is doing. That is great and when the league started it was booming at almost 20k fans in attendance week 1. Week two the league saw a nice increase and since then the league is losing fans by the minute.

While weather has been crappy some games the league’s attendance is slowly decreasing. Here is a tracker for all the weeks played.

Week 1 of AAF : 76,838 in paid attendance (19,210/game)
•Atl @ Orl 20,191
•SD @ SA 27,857
•Mem @ BHam 17,039
•SLC @ AZ 11,751

Week 2 of AAF : 78,494 in paid attendance (19,624/game).
•SLC @ BHAM 17,319
•AZ @ MEM 11,980
•ORL @ SA 29,176
•ATL @ SD 20,019

Week 3 of AAF : 56,312 in paid attendance (14,078/game)
•MEM @ ORL 20,394
•AZ @ SLC 10,412
•BHAM @ ATL 10,717
•SA @ SD 14,789

Week 4 of AAF : 38,327 in paid attendance (9,582/game)
•SD @ MEM 13,621
•ORL @ SLC 9,302
•SA @ BHAM 6,539
•ATL @ AZ 8,865
https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2019/0 ... ndance-15/
BhamXFLFan
Kicker

Post by BhamXFLFan »

FWIW. The weather here in Bham was 100% Chance of rain with a slight chance of tornados. While the tornados didnt get up here it did sadly take some lives just south of bham. Lets see how next week goes.