AAF Update Thread

Forum for XFL fans to discuss the Alliance of American Football.
GDAWG
MVP

Re: AAF Update Thread

Post by GDAWG »

Arizona and Atlanta in the AAF is puzzling. This time of year there is Spring Training in Arizona (sure there is one in Florida too, but they are spread out in Central Florida, while the Cactus League is solely in the Phoenix Metropolitan Area, including Tempe, where the Hot Shots play). If you wanted a team in the Southwest, why not try Albuquerque? Instead they go to Phoenix. They chose to go to Atlanta for whatever reason instead of trying somewhere new like Mississippi. And the AAF follows the same alternative league trope of "lets go to Birmingham, Memphis, Orlando and San Antonio" although Orlando and San Antonio are doing well attendance wise. So instead of Birmingham, why not try Little Rock? Or Mobile? Instead of Memphis, how about Louisville?
SamTheRam28
Quarterback

Post by SamTheRam28 »

MikeSherman wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:12 pm
XFL_FAN wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:13 pm The XFL is cutting halftime altogether? Or just the halftime show?
Halftime altogether. Or at least that was the plan at one point.
XFL_FAN wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:13 pm So if they follow your advice here would be the team colors:

Houston-The inside is grey so it could be anything they want.
Dallas-Green
Seattle-Navy
LA-Also Grey

New York-Grey Too
D.C.-Red
Tampa Bay-Red
St. Louis-Red+A bit of blue
I just think it's an important variable to keep in mind. They're creating a television product, and today's game in Salt Lake is a great example of how some more thoughtful choices would have gone a long way toward improving the visual experience.

Not everyone can wear red as a primary color, but you can always use the stadium's color scheme as an accent color. I do think you have to think hard about green for Dallas (although it makes sense for Seattle too) and I definitely think D.C. should use red and white as accents and something in the black/grey/charcoal as the primary.
I'm 99% sure XFL is keeping halftime. I think they considered it because, at first, Vince said they wanted to make games 2 hours. However, they since backtracked and said 2.5, and after seeing the AAF, I think it will be paced more like that.
St. Louis BattleHawks
SamTheRam28
Quarterback

Post by SamTheRam28 »

GDAWG wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:26 pm Arizona and Atlanta in the AAF is puzzling. This time of year there is Spring Training in Arizona (sure there is one in Florida too, but they are spread out in Central Florida, while the Cactus League is solely in the Phoenix Metropolitan Area, including Tempe, where the Hot Shots play). If you wanted a team in the Southwest, why not try Albuquerque? Instead they go to Phoenix. They chose to go to Atlanta for whatever reason instead of trying somewhere new like Mississippi. And the AAF follows the same alternative league trope of "lets go to Birmingham, Memphis, Orlando and San Antonio" although Orlando and San Antonio are doing well attendance wise. So instead of Birmingham, why not try Little Rock? Or Mobile? Instead of Memphis, how about Louisville?
Because they didn't actually think about this and just threw it together to beat XFL to the field. Having the Salt Lake team wear blue on a red field is another thing that just seems like something they forgot to think about because they were pressed for time.
St. Louis BattleHawks
MikeSherman
Receiver

Post by MikeSherman »

The concern is that a national television audience is going to be less likely to watch a Little Rock-Albuquerque game than they are a Phoenix-Atlanta game.

Of course, this goes back to knowing what you're trying to be. If the goal is to monetize through attendance and/or NFL affiliation, minor league towns make some sense. If the goal is to monetize through television, you really need to be in major league markets.
BhamXFLFan
Kicker

Post by BhamXFLFan »

MikeMitchell wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:52 pm
BhamXFLFan wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:05 pm One reason for the low SL attendance is it was 33 Degrees
That’s not really a legit excuse. College and NFL teams play in much worse weather than that. I don’t expect an alternative football league to draw like the NFL but for a home opener to draw 10k😉. That’s pretty bad. It’s not like it was snowing or 10 below. 33 degrees in that setting is fairly normal.
Would you want to go watch a minor league football game in that weather?
BhamXFLFan
Kicker

Post by BhamXFLFan »

GDAWG wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:26 pm Arizona and Atlanta in the AAF is puzzling. This time of year there is Spring Training in Arizona (sure there is one in Florida too, but they are spread out in Central Florida, while the Cactus League is solely in the Phoenix Metropolitan Area, including Tempe, where the Hot Shots play). If you wanted a team in the Southwest, why not try Albuquerque? Instead they go to Phoenix. They chose to go to Atlanta for whatever reason instead of trying somewhere new like Mississippi. And the AAF follows the same alternative league trope of "lets go to Birmingham, Memphis, Orlando and San Antonio" although Orlando and San Antonio are doing well attendance wise. So instead of Birmingham, why not try Little Rock? Or Mobile? Instead of Memphis, how about Louisville?
Bham is doing well as well?
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

BhamXFLFan wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:57 pm
Bham is doing well as well?
What was the attendance for that game?
wellington
Linebacker

Post by wellington »

SamTheRam28 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:32 pm Because they didn't actually think about this and just threw it together to beat XFL to the field. Having the Salt Lake team wear blue on a red field is another thing that just seems like something they forgot to think about because they were pressed for time.
Good point. Salt Lake should have gone with the Memphis Express color scheme or at least a red/silver scheme.

They should also have considered playing at Rio Tinto Stadium, too.
The Name Prediction Signatures Are Here:
New York Empire
DC Defenders
Tampa Bay Tridents
St. Louis Rivermen

Seattle Sasquatch
LA Stars
Houston Roughnecks
Dallas Stampede
wellington
Linebacker

Post by wellington »

GDAWG wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:26 pm Arizona and Atlanta in the AAF is puzzling.
At least Atlanta has a good stadium option very similar to that of the Dallas XFL team in Arlington. That being said, Atlanta is a very fickle sports market.
The Name Prediction Signatures Are Here:
New York Empire
DC Defenders
Tampa Bay Tridents
St. Louis Rivermen

Seattle Sasquatch
LA Stars
Houston Roughnecks
Dallas Stampede
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

SamTheRam28 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:28 pm
MikeSherman wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:12 pm
XFL_FAN wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:13 pm The XFL is cutting halftime altogether? Or just the halftime show?
Halftime altogether. Or at least that was the plan at one point.
XFL_FAN wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:13 pm So if they follow your advice here would be the team colors:

Houston-The inside is grey so it could be anything they want.
Dallas-Green
Seattle-Navy
LA-Also Grey

New York-Grey Too
D.C.-Red
Tampa Bay-Red
St. Louis-Red+A bit of blue
I just think it's an important variable to keep in mind. They're creating a television product, and today's game in Salt Lake is a great example of how some more thoughtful choices would have gone a long way toward improving the visual experience.

Not everyone can wear red as a primary color, but you can always use the stadium's color scheme as an accent color. I do think you have to think hard about green for Dallas (although it makes sense for Seattle too) and I definitely think D.C. should use red and white as accents and something in the black/grey/charcoal as the primary.
I'm 99% sure XFL is keeping halftime. I think they considered it because, at first, Vince said they wanted to make games 2 hours. However, they since backtracked and said 2.5, and after seeing the AAF, I think it will be paced more like that.
That's what I was thinking too. Just making sure that I didn't miss something ;)
Ready for the team reveals...again