Many People Are Not Excited About The AAF's Rule Changes

Forum for XFL fans to discuss the Alliance of American Football.
XFL_FAN
Coach

Many People Are Not Excited About The AAF's Rule Changes

Post by XFL_FAN »

Here in this PFT article we see many people voice their complaints about some of the AAF's new rules:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... attention/

Here were some comments:
Devin Hester would have never existed. (228 likes, 1 dislike)
Yeah except it’d no longer be FOOTball, it’d be handball. (226 likes, 18 dislikes)
I almost want to boycott the AAF. ...to make sure it’s not seen as a huge success and the NFL implements this... (94 likes, 9 dislikes)
I was pumped for this till I heard you can’t blitz and there’s not much kicking and returns involved. That’s not football. I hope xfl gets off the ground... (121 likes, 2 dislikes)
That’s why this league will fail. They are going forward, where many NFL fans are wanting to go backward to 80’s/90’s era football. This is why I think the XFL will succeed. (85 likes, 12 dislikes)
How about putting through a windmill for extra points as well? (134 likes, 0 dislikes)
Here’s an idea: Just play football. (44 likes, 0 dislikes)
A prime opportunity for the XFL starting in 2020. (9 likes, 2 dislikes)
Here is an important part to the onside kick rule:
If the team that just scored trails by 17 or more points or if the team that just scored trails by any amount with fewer than five minutes remaining in the fourth quarter, that team can choose to try to convert a fourth-and-12 play from its own 28.
Here's what someone had to say about that:
Sounds like stuff we made up as kids to keep a game going when you were losing. (7 likes, 0 dislikes)
It's obvious the AAF is trying to make artificial good football by slighting rules to the offense and to keep teams close for the entire game. It seems like a desperate attempt by the AAF to try to generate more interest and ratings. If tonight/ this weekend is a success, then expect the XFL to come out with "big news". If not, then the XFL might give the AAF a few days to soak in the bad media before making any more announcements. Tonight's game will be interesting to say the least.
Ready for the team reveals...again
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: Many People Are Not Excited About The AAF's Rule Changes

Post by MikeMitchell »

Good job of compiling all of these comments.

People are going to watch tonight and this weekend. Let's see how the product looks.

I like tweaking rules for safety and innovating. Hamstringing a defense or going against the principles and strategies of football is not for me.
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

youngorst wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:31 pm The AAF is a disaster. I doubt it makes it past 1 season and honestly wouldn't be shocked if it doesn't even play a full season.
It really kind of seems like a sloppy attempt from the NFL to hurt the XFL, which doesn't make any sense...
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

youngorst wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:31 pm The AAF is a disaster. I doubt it makes it past 1 season and honestly wouldn't be shocked if it doesn't even play a full season.
I hope that it makes it. I feel bad for the players and coaches that actually have remained committed. Despite others bailing.

The AAF is desperate. They will give out free tickets just to make sure the stadiums are not empty. Rushing to put out a league fast to beat your competitor to the punch is what creates poor play. When the realization of sloppy play hits you in the face, you figure maybe we can tweak the rules to make it artificially look like good football.
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

MikeMitchell wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:00 pm
I hope that it makes it. I feel bad for the players and coaches that actually have remained committed. Despite others bailing.

The AAF is desperate. They will give out free tickets just to make sure the stadiums are not empty. Rushing to put out a league fast to beat your competitor to the punch is what creates poor play. When the realization of sloppy play hits you in the face, you figure maybe we can tweak the rules to make it artificially look like good football.
Unfortunately this will make some people more skeptical about spring football if the AAF fails. Let's hope that the XFL makes the most of their time and shocks the world :D !
XtremeFanForever
Coach

Post by XtremeFanForever »

Let's not get too hyperbolic over two games. I personally was a bit underwhelmed with the games but I've seen plenty of people say they enjoyed them.

To be honest, I rolled my eyes when Oliver Luck said he wanted to keep the "foot" in football. I've always thought it makes sense to cut out some of the more boring plays, such as the kickoff. After watching tonight's AAF games I couldn't help but feel like something was missing. Perhaps Luck's approach is the right one: if an aspect of the game isn't compelling doing get rid of it, just make it better. I'm more intrigued than ever to see the XFL's kickoff rule.
RIP Xtreme; forever champions

RIP Wildcats; forever 2-3
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

XtremeFanForever wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:09 am Let's not get too hyperbolic over two games. I personally was a bit underwhelmed with the games but I've seen plenty of people say they enjoyed them.

To be honest, I rolled my eyes when Oliver Luck said he wanted to keep the "foot" in football. I've always thought it makes sense to cut out some of the more boring plays, such as the kickoff. After watching tonight's AAF games I couldn't help but feel like something was missing. Perhaps Luck's approach is the right one: if an aspect of the game isn't compelling doing get rid of it, just make it better. I'm more intrigued than ever to see the XFL's kickoff rule.
I hate that offenses are guaranteed to start at their own 25 to start games and halves, and after an opposing team scores. It doesn't feel right. The NFL has a similar issue with guaranteed touchbacks, so i get where the AAF is coming from, but personally i like the big play possibility of a kick return changing a game. I don't like offenses automatically starting at their own 25.

I too, was underwhelmed by the games tonight. The quality of play was subpar. I expected that though. Judging by the rosters, the lack of star power at QB and the extremely weak offensive lines, couple that with only an original XFL 30 day camp. The league was guaranteed to look sloppy at the starting gate. The area where, i was most underwhelmed was the presentation.
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

MikeMitchell wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:28 am
XtremeFanForever wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:09 am Let's not get too hyperbolic over two games. I personally was a bit underwhelmed with the games but I've seen plenty of people say they enjoyed them.

I hate that offenses are guaranteed to start at their own 25 to start games and halves, and after an opposing team scores. It doesn't feel right. The NFL has a similar issue with guaranteed touchbacks, so i get where the AAF is coming from, but personally i like the big play possibility of a kick return changing a game. I don't like offenses automatically starting at their own 25.

I too, was underwhelmed by the games tonight. The quality of play was subpar. I expected that though. Judging by the rosters, the lack of star power at QB and the extremely weak offensive lines, couple that with only an original XFL 30 day camp. The league was guaranteed to look sloppy at the starting gate. The area where, i was most underwhelmed was the presentation.
I couldn't believe how many sacks the Commanders were getting on the Fleet QB with just rushing 4. The San Antonio game was pretty good, but the Orlando game was boring from the onset.
GoDogs
Running Back

Post by GoDogs »

I kind of agree with Mr. Luck. You have to have a kick off. The "ceremonial" placing of the football by Hines Ward seemed a little (to quote Bob Costas)...low rent. (far cry from having 2 guys scramble for possession).

If you want to make the game shorter, and safer, make changes at the end of the game (where tired players get hurt). A suggestion I recently heard read made sense. Instead of both sides getting the ball on the 25 (like college) or coin flip for possession (in the NFL) in OT, just have the kickers set up on the 25 or 30, and each kick field goals. If both are made, move the ball back in 5 yard increments, until one guy misses. Keep play the play clocks. (shorter, safer, dramatic ending).

Would naturally force the games to avoid ties at the end of games.
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

youngorst wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:47 pm
GoDogs wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:27 pm I kind of agree with Mr. Luck. You have to have a kick off. The "ceremonial" placing of the football by Hines Ward seemed a little (to quote Bob Costas)...low rent. (far cry from having 2 guys scramble for possession).

If you want to make the game shorter, and safer, make changes at the end of the game (where tired players get hurt). A suggestion I recently heard read made sense. Instead of both sides getting the ball on the 25 (like college) or coin flip for possession (in the NFL) in OT, just have the kickers set up on the 25 or 30, and each kick field goals. If both are made, move the ball back in 5 yard increments, until one guy misses. Keep play the play clocks. (shorter, safer, dramatic ending).

Would naturally force the games to avoid ties at the end of games.
God no, if the XFL (or any league) did that it would be a laughing stock.

I'd much rather just end games in ties. Ties really aren't that big of a deal and breaking them with a FG contest would be so ridiculous that it would be unwatchable.
I think having no OT would cause some resentment because some people think "ties are Un-American". Personally I'm fine with ties, but I think college OT is a good compromise.