Many People Are Not Excited About The AAF's Rule Changes

Forum for XFL fans to discuss the Alliance of American Football.
XtremeFanForever
Coach

Re: Many People Are Not Excited About The AAF's Rule Changes

Post by XtremeFanForever »

XFL_FAN wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:20 am
MikeMitchell wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:28 am
XtremeFanForever wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:09 am Let's not get too hyperbolic over two games. I personally was a bit underwhelmed with the games but I've seen plenty of people say they enjoyed them.

To be honest, I rolled my eyes when Oliver Luck said he wanted to keep the "foot" in football. I've always thought it makes sense to cut out some of the more boring plays, such as the kickoff. After watching tonight's AAF games I couldn't help but feel like something was missing. Perhaps Luck's approach is the right one: if an aspect of the game isn't compelling doing get rid of it, just make it better. I'm more intrigued than ever to see the XFL's kickoff rule.
I hate that offenses are guaranteed to start at their own 25 to start games and halves, and after an opposing team scores. It doesn't feel right. The NFL has a similar issue with guaranteed touchbacks, so i get where the AAF is coming from, but personally i like the big play possibility of a kick return changing a game. I don't like offenses automatically starting at their own 25.

I too, was underwhelmed by the games tonight. The quality of play was subpar. I expected that though. Judging by the rosters, the lack of star power at QB and the extremely weak offensive lines, couple that with only an original XFL 30 day camp. The league was guaranteed to look sloppy at the starting gate. The area where, i was most underwhelmed was the presentation.
I couldn't believe how many sacks the Commanders were getting on the Fleet QB with just rushing 4. The San Antonio game was pretty good, but the Orlando game was boring from the onset.
The o-lines were a disaster, especially considering the rules work in their favor. Wonder how the XFL's potential 2-point stance rule will impact things in the trenches. They definitely need to avoid the sloppy play we saw last night.
RIP Xtreme; forever champions

RIP Wildcats; forever 2-3
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

XtremeFanForever wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:58 pm
XFL_FAN wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:20 am
MikeMitchell wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:28 am

I hate that offenses are guaranteed to start at their own 25 to start games and halves, and after an opposing team scores. It doesn't feel right. The NFL has a similar issue with guaranteed touchbacks, so i get where the AAF is coming from, but personally i like the big play possibility of a kick return changing a game. I don't like offenses automatically starting at their own 25.

I too, was underwhelmed by the games tonight. The quality of play was subpar. I expected that though. Judging by the rosters, the lack of star power at QB and the extremely weak offensive lines, couple that with only an original XFL 30 day camp. The league was guaranteed to look sloppy at the starting gate. The area where, i was most underwhelmed was the presentation.
I couldn't believe how many sacks the Commanders were getting on the Fleet QB with just rushing 4. The San Antonio game was pretty good, but the Orlando game was boring from the onset.
The o-lines were a disaster, especially considering the rules work in their favor. Wonder how the XFL's potential 2-point stance rule will impact things in the trenches. They definitely need to avoid the sloppy play we saw last night.
Before the game I was thinking how stupid the rule was and that there would be few sacks. After the game I can see where the AAF is trying to go with that rule. Good news is the XFL has time to figure out a solution to avoid excessive sacks.
Ready for the team reveals...again
MikeSherman
Receiver

Post by MikeSherman »

XtremeFanForever wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:58 pmThe o-lines were a disaster, especially considering the rules work in their favor. Wonder how the XFL's potential 2-point stance rule will impact things in the trenches. They definitely need to avoid the sloppy play we saw last night.
I hadn't heard that the XFL was considering a two-point stance. Do you have a link for that anywhere? I don't disbelieve you, just curious. I heard a radio interview with Luck where the host specifically advocated for that and Luck responded with something along the lines of, "what about 4th short?"
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

MikeSherman wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:37 pm
XtremeFanForever wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:58 pmThe o-lines were a disaster, especially considering the rules work in their favor. Wonder how the XFL's potential 2-point stance rule will impact things in the trenches. They definitely need to avoid the sloppy play we saw last night.
I hadn't heard that the XFL was considering a two-point stance. Do you have a link for that anywhere? I don't disbelieve you, just curious. I heard a radio interview with Luck where the host specifically advocated for that and Luck responded with something along the lines of, "what about 4th short?"
The R&D tests in Mississippi with the Juco college teams included running plays with a 2 point stance. I think a lot of it has to do with safety and collisions. XFL posted videos on YouTube. The league’s new lead neurologist Julian Bailes May have some input towards the league’s new kickoff and in terms of avoiding head on collisions.

The XFL’s next round of testing comes with Your Call Football in Jacksonville. Starting February 25th. They are going to be testing out their game rules and innovations. With the way, the video official idea was stolen. I’d say that they might be more secretive.

The YCF testing is going to be followed up with The Soring League in Austin, Texas. It wouldn’t shock me if they tested out new offensive line innovations.
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

This is a pro XFL thread......and really all I seen is AAF bashing. At least the ceremonial ball placement doesn't cause injury like the scramble did.....a guy tore a ligament.....missed the season. Oliver Luck wants to "re-image" a game many of you think doesn't need change. I've seen so many proposed idiot ideas that I'm not sure would work.......yeah like having no extra point kick option isn't taking the "foot'" out of the game......I didn't like the three tiered xtra point in 2001.....and I still don't like it. And fans allowed to call plays.....dumbest azz thing I've ever heard. But I guess the general opinion here is all these bizzare rules are "revolutionary'" helping football advance in the 21st century. But if it looks like a duck........
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

GoDogs wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:27 pm I kind of agree with Mr. Luck. You have to have a kick off. The "ceremonial" placing of the football by Hines Ward seemed a little (to quote Bob Costas)...low rent. (far cry from having 2 guys scramble for possession).

If you want to make the game shorter, and safer, make changes at the end of the game (where tired players get hurt). A suggestion I recently heard read made sense. Instead of both sides getting the ball on the 25 (like college) or coin flip for possession (in the NFL) in OT, just have the kickers set up on the 25 or 30, and each kick field goals. If both are made, move the ball back in 5 yard increments, until one guy misses. Keep play the play clocks. (shorter, safer, dramatic ending).

Would naturally force the games to avoid ties at the end of games.
And baseball should have a home run derby instead of extra innings......I heard THAT joke too.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Sounder wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:16 pm This is a pro XFL thread......and really all I seen is AAF bashing. At least the ceremonial ball placement doesn't cause injury like the scramble did.....a guy tore a ligament.....missed the season. Oliver Luck wants to "re-image" a game many of you think doesn't need change. I've seen so many proposed idiot ideas that I'm not sure would work.......yeah like having no extra point kick option isn't taking the "foot'" out of the game......I didn't like the three tiered xtra point in 2001.....and I still don't like it. And fans allowed to call plays.....dumbest azz thing I've ever heard. But I guess the general opinion here is all these bizzare rules are "revolutionary'" helping football advance in the 21st century. But if it looks like a duck........
The ball placement deal sucks. Every team is guaranteed a starting field position of the 25 yard line. With no kick returns, no team ever starts in good field position, like they do in college or in the NFL.... Everyone knows that the scramble was a stupid gimmick. I like the idea of doing away with a coin toss though.... It should be home team advantage. They get to decide if they want the ball first or defer. As for kickoffs, I am not sure about different alignments to avoid collisions. Perhaps the XFL's testing will address this. I am a simple guy, just move the kickoffs back to the 25 yard line. Kickers are just kicking the ball through end zones with way too many guaranteed touchbacks. I want the return back.

There's never been an extra point kick in the XFL or AAF. There will be a day where there will be none in the NFL and college football too. That day is coming.

The tiered extra point is basically a 2 point conversion from a longer distance. Not a really big deal. You could argue for or against it. It's basically an extremely low percentage play. Let's not jump the gun on fans calling plays or over state it. It sounds like the league wants to use technology to give fans the opportunity to interact on every play. No fans are drawing up playbooks or designing schemes.

There are some things that the AAF does, that I like. I actually like the onside try idea. It can be tweaked but The XFL might have to adopt it. I am not sure if they have an answer or solution for it safety wise. That remains to be seen.

I understand that you are a defender of the AAF and I appreciate the passion. It's cool to see fans defend these types of leagues. I have been and I am still rooting for the AAF to succeed because I love football. I get the sensitivity trust me, back in 2001, I was ticked off with how biased and disrespectful, everyone was to the XFL. Even though, in all honesty, the original XFL earned a lot of their backlash.

The AAF's ruling of not allowing more than 5 rushers on a play or not allowing two defenders to blitz from one side, is not my cup of tea. However, i understand why it was done. It makes sense. The proof is in the pudding. It's been done to benefit offensive line play. I don't like it because the risk/reward of blitzing is taken out of the game. You have more players in coverage and it eliminates the potential for big plays, because if you pick up the blitz. The defense is in danger of giving up a big play.