Glory
Americans
Sentinels
Warhawks
Dome Head
Kicker

Re: Washington Team Names

Post by Dome Head »

I kinda want the XFL to screw with the NFL and go with Warriors.

Given the name controversy with the Redskins, I've always thought if they finally dropped it like the Bullets the best transition would be to Warriors. Keep the uniforms and colors. Just change out the logo with a stylized W with a leaf pinned on.

I like digging at the NFL and seeing the DC team take that option away would be funny.

That said, from a weird standpoint I like Sentinels too - mainly because my wife and I always found Replacements charming. Shane Falco played for the Washington Sentinels (using the Ravens stadium as the home stadium for filming which is funny given Joe Flacco is on that team).

But a patriotic name is due.

I'd suggest Senators since the Nationals didn't become the third MLB team with the name.

Not crazy about but the Washington Justice.

Oh, I thought of one just now. The Washington Gavels. Unique. Given SCOTUS and the use of the gavel to bring sessions into order in Congress.

Military options work too. The Washington Bombers. I can see a logo using a Stealth Bomber or a classic B-52. Washington Infantry. Washington Grunts. Washington Tanks.
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

Dome Head wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:37 pm I kinda want the XFL to screw with the NFL and go with Warriors.

Given the name controversy with the Redskins, I've always thought if they finally dropped it like the Bullets the best transition would be to Warriors. Keep the uniforms and colors. Just change out the logo with a stylized W with a leaf pinned on.

I like digging at the NFL and seeing the DC team take that option away would be funny.

That said, from a weird standpoint I like Sentinels too - mainly because my wife and I always found Replacements charming. Shane Falco played for the Washington Sentinels (using the Ravens stadium as the home stadium for filming which is funny given Joe Flacco is on that team).

I'd suggest Senators since the Nationals didn't become the third MLB team with the name.

Oh, I thought of one just now. The Washington Gavels. Unique. Given SCOTUS and the use of the gavel to bring sessions into order in Congress.

Military options work too. The Washington Bombers. I can see a logo using a Stealth Bomber or a classic B-52. Washington Infantry. Washington Grunts. Washington Tanks.
I like the Senators a lot, but I think the XFL is going for something more unique like Gavels or Justice.
Ready for the team reveals...again
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Dome Head wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:37 pm I kinda want the XFL to screw with the NFL and go with Warriors.

Believe it or not. Washington Warriors is trademarked by Dan Snyder. He should have already made the transition.

I like some of your name suggestions. I like War being in the title but in this day and age of the pc policing. It might be a tough sell.

Really sticking it to the NFL is naming The Washington team, the natives or The Americans. Even though those are very generic names.

I am partial to Warhorses because of how many statues of them exist in Washington. There’s like 50 of them with all the nations greatest leaders. Even though it doesn’t roll off the tongue great. I am big on alliteration and horse themed names. Just a personal preference.
922631CE-0F1B-4BD7-AE3F-1414CEFE805F.jpeg
922631CE-0F1B-4BD7-AE3F-1414CEFE805F.jpeg (47.05 KiB) Viewed 9153 times
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

Warhorses is a good one. Guardians.....which is the one I see listed.....would work. An old nasl club used the names "Darts....Whips.....and Diplomats" (same team). Now that everybody in soccer now is the "United"..... they don't need those other ones.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

I'd strongly urge the XFL to avoid a patriotic theme. It's been done to death in D.C. and will immediately make people equate them to the Arena team.

I think they'd be wise to use some variation of black/charcoal and red for their color scheme to match the decor of Audi Field. The stadium is going to be the star of the team in Year 1, so the more you can make it feel like your home field and not just some building you're renting, the better.

I don't think you can beat Federals for a team name, but I'm fully aware of all the totally valid reasons you won't want to resurrect a USFL name, especially one of such an inept team.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

I think it'd be cool to be un NFL and use "DC" as a header......then follow it with a name like "Combat" for you militaristic fans out there. Or is that too pc'd out.
OneHandClapping
Rookie

Post by OneHandClapping »

Washington Warlords

The original XFL was going to add an expansion team in Washington with that name had their been a second season
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

Top vote getter for Washington

Washington Generals

It's gettin' hot in here...and we about to burn 'em up!

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion may be 2-3 seconds short of playing a full season :?
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

Andibald wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:41 pm Top vote getter for Washington

Washington Generals

Washington Generals? Like the basketball team that jobs for the Globetrotters?