17 XFL players signed to NFL Practice Squads
ARLINGTON, TEXAS (August 31, 2023) – The XFL today announced that former All-XFL punter Daniel Whelan (DC Defenders) has earned a spot on the Green Bay Packers active roster and seventeen players from the 2023 season have been signed to practice squad positions with eleven teams of the National Football League.
During the XFL 2023 season, Whelan kicked 29 punts in 10 regular season games, for an average of 45.6 yards with the longest of 66 yards. In two playoff games he punted 4 times for an average of 53.8 yards, the longest being 64 yards.
The Houston Roughnecks and St. Louis Battlehawks each had four players signed to a practice squad, followed by the Seattle Sea Dragons (3), San Antonio Brahmas (3), and DC, Orlando, and Vegas each having a player agree to terms.
- Marcell Ateman, WR (St. Louis) – Buffalo Bills
- Michael Bandy, WR (Houston) – Denver Broncos
- Luc Barcoo, CB (San Antonio) – Pittsburgh Steelers
- C.J. Brewer, DL (Houston) – Tampa Buccaneers
- Ben DiNucci, QB (Seattle) – Denver Broncos
- Matthew Gotel, DL (San Antonio) – Seattle Seahawks
- Jack Heflin, DL (Houston) – New Orleans Saints
- Brian Hill, RB (St. Louis) – San Francisco 49ers
- Lucky Jackson, WR (DC) – Minnesota Vikings
- Jaryd Jones-Smith, OT (St. Louis) – Washington Commanders
- Jontre Kirklin, WR (Houston) – New Orleans Saints
- Niko Lalos, LB (Seattle) – New Orleans Saints
- LaCale London, DT (St. Louis) – Atlanta Falcons
- John Parker Romo, P (San Antonio) – Chicago Bears
- Mathew Sexton, WR (Vegas) – Atlanta Falcons
- Jordan Thomas, TE/LB (Orlando) – Carolina Panthers
- Barry Wesley, OT (Seattle) – Atlanta Falcons
Since players could begin signing NFL contracts on May 15, the XFL saw its players sign 66 contracts, in addition to receiving nearly 200 invitations for workouts or mini-camps.
Each XFL team shall retain their players’ rights should a player return to the league.