Chad Johnson scheduled for tryout as a kicker

XFL Football discussion.
GregParks
XFLBoard Correspondent

Re: Chad Johnson scheduled for tryout as a kicker

Post by GregParks » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:44 pm

MikeMitchell wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:22 am

I am just ok on the Team 9 idea. That's provided that Chad Johnson has a great tryout.

I am pretty uptight when it comes to this kind of stuff. I don't like PFT Commenter or Chad Johnson getting a tryout. I understand that these guys initiated this and that the league is just trying to be good sports about it. This is more of a, let them get a chance since they are begging kind of situation and not a real tryout, but it doesn't feel right to me. No harm, No foul, I guess.
I think there’s a difference though between PFTCommenter trying out in an obviously comedic situation to get the XFL some press (which seemed to succeed), versus what I assume is a legitimate tryout for Chad Ochocinco. I guess there’s really no harm, as you said, but it certainly does give the indication to some on the fence about the legitimacy of the league that it’s not about putting the best players on the field when you have a long-retired WR trying out as a kicker.
@gregmparks

Tank55
Coach

Post by Tank55 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:44 pm

I understand where everyone is coming from, but the NFL lets basketball players, rugby players, collegiate wrestlers, Aussie rules players, soccer players, etc try out for positions all the time. Johnson's obviously a world class athlete and someone who takes kicking seriously. Who's to say he's a sideshow?

Now, if the league insists on one of the teams signing him for the publicity, that crosses a line in my book. But I think it's harmless fun until we get to that point.

BengalErnst
Receiver

Post by BengalErnst » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:43 pm

Because the NFL is an established league, it doesn’t have to defend itself against claims of the contrary at this point

GoDogs
Running Back

Post by GoDogs » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:31 am

GregParks wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:44 pm
MikeMitchell wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:22 am

I am just ok on the Team 9 idea. That's provided that Chad Johnson has a great tryout.

I am pretty uptight when it comes to this kind of stuff. I don't like PFT Commenter or Chad Johnson getting a tryout. I understand that these guys initiated this and that the league is just trying to be good sports about it. This is more of a, let them get a chance since they are begging kind of situation and not a real tryout, but it doesn't feel right to me. No harm, No foul, I guess.
I think there’s a difference though between PFTCommenter trying out in an obviously comedic situation to get the XFL some press (which seemed to succeed), versus what I assume is a legitimate tryout for Chad Ochocinco. I guess there’s really no harm, as you said, but it certainly does give the indication to some on the fence about the legitimacy of the league that it’s not about putting the best players on the field when you have a long-retired WR trying out as a kicker.
Yup. Listened to the Dan Patrick show on the way to work today. Got to hear them”Snob” the XFL using this, Ochocino and PFT as reasons why big name players should not come out early to this league. Seemingly the talking heads are assuming those guys are serious players as they are getting tryouts.

(Convo, if Trevor Lawrence should come out early and make some money vs staying put and playing 1 hard league game and taking out an insurance policy).

Regular Joe
Running Back

Post by Regular Joe » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:19 am

So what happened?
Where's Averi when you need her? :D

BengalErnst
Receiver

Post by BengalErnst » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:14 pm

I would love to see him in the league but not as a gimmick. His personality and following would benefit the league greatly. How awesome would it also be to have him as a kicker who could also slide out and play WR?

4th&long
Running Back

Post by 4th&long » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:45 pm

BengalErnst wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:14 pm
I would love to see him in the league but not as a gimmick. His personality and following would benefit the league greatly. How awesome would it also be to have him as a kicker who could also slide out and play WR?
All true...

Tank55
Coach

Post by Tank55 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:53 pm

Regular Joe wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:19 am
So what happened?
Tryout is supposedly scheduled for tomorrow.

BengalErnst
Receiver

Post by BengalErnst » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:56 pm

This league is full of young guys who want to make the league, want to provide for their families, make money. Chad already has all the money, he’s doing this purely for enjoyment. I want to see him involved in the league, but he has to take this opportunity extremely serious. Maybe put him on team 9 depending on the tryouts. Weird to have a tryout basically two days before the league cuts 2/7ths of their rosters

4th&long
Running Back

Post by 4th&long » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:02 pm

BengalErnst wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:56 pm
This league is full of young guys who want to make the league, want to provide for their families, make money. Chad already has all the money, he’s doing this purely for enjoyment. I want to see him involved in the league, but he has to take this opportunity extremely serious. Maybe put him on team 9 depending on the tryouts. Weird to have a tryout basically two days before the league cuts 2/7ths of their rosters
Tomorrow the FB news cycle will be filled by the AFC/NFC games and winners. Better to have it Tuesday.

If he does well, he gets to play, if not 'cest la vie'