Neutral site for XFL Championship Game

XFL Football discussion.
MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent

Re: Neutral site for XFL Championship Game

Post by MikeMitchell » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:14 pm

Tank55 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:45 pm
D.C., at least, isn't going to have access to its home stadium for the championship game, so the league should be careful not to box itself in with any specific rules. I'm sure others have conflicts or potential conflicts as well.
I think that’s one of the reasons that the neutral site is in play for the championship game on ESPN. When you are a first year league who is not a primary tenant. You can’t just buy out dates and have other entities reschedule just for your league. A big part of the XFL regular season schedule is working around the venues and their existing schedules.

Raymond James is booked during week 2 of the XFL season and obviously for WrestleMania. CenturyLink also has some prior commitments etc

LeoNY
Coach

Post by LeoNY » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:22 pm

GDAWG wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:37 pm
Should the XFL do neutral site or do "team with the best record as host?" I think it should be the latter to establish the league. Then move out to neutral sites when the league does well.
Obviously it can’t be done with DC unless they get a second home for the playoffs set up.

If the neutral site is not Vegas due to venue issues. Then I like the games to be in Texas or Florida. If the league wants a smaller venue. Having the championship game at the Pro Football Hall of Fame is not a bad play. Even though Canton is not exactly a big tourist destination.

GDAWG
Coach

Post by GDAWG » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:49 pm

LeoNY wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:22 pm
GDAWG wrote:
Should the XFL do neutral site or do "team with the best record as host?" I think it should be the latter to establish the league. Then move out to neutral sites when the league does well.
Obviously it can’t be done with DC unless they get a second home for the playoffs set up.

If the neutral site is not Vegas due to venue issues. Then I like the games to be in Texas or Florida. If the league wants a smaller venue. Having the championship game at the Pro Football Hall of Fame is not a bad play. Even though Canton is not exactly a big tourist destination.
Canton would be a fantastic spot, due to it's history in pro football.

LeoNY
Coach

Post by LeoNY » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:27 pm

GDAWG wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:49 pm
LeoNY wrote:
GDAWG wrote:

Canton would be a fantastic spot, due to it's history in pro football.
It would make for a great scene and send off to the league’s season.

Rangersking669
Receiver

Post by Rangersking669 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:33 pm

I think the championship game should just be in the NFL Draft City every year, at least until the league can get settled in for a few years. This would help increase the exposure of the league and its talent, whether it be players or coaches. Maybe do Canton in 2021 instead of Cleveland, to pay homage to the HOF, as others in this board have mentioned, and because Cleveland's stadium is too big, probably. Hopefully, the league can make enough headway by 2023 that filling up 50K seats at least in Arrowhead could be achievable.
XFL Championship Schedule
LV 4/26/20
Cleveland 4/25/21
Oakland/sa/unknown NFL Draft City 4/24/22
KC 4/30/23

more notes: All of the NFL draft cities could be good opportunities for expansion. Vegas is due to how strong their attendance was in the original XFL for their market size and because people still remember "he hate me" and those killer Outlaws jerseys(if they do bring a team to LV, they gotta bring back those colors). Cleveland could be another DC type addition where fans come just because their NFL team is that bad. Also, if the Athletics leave the Coliseum, taking the championship game there for 2022 may not be a bad idea if the NFL draft site doesn't make sense to go to(for example, do you really want to try to go to Boston when they have a lot that can compete with you?), as the Demons were quite popular in 2001. Yes, I know, the leagues are very different, but some of that could still factor into whether people come. KC could be nice for the in-state rivalry and because they have no teams playing in the city until the royals in week 8. Ultimately, any of these football towns without both NBA/NHL teams could be ideal for expansion, and that's where I think they should focus, considering how the XFL went down in chicago before. At least now they can play in a MLS stadium there.

johnnyangryfuzzball
Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:31 pm

LeoNY wrote:
GDAWG wrote:

Well, why not explore a few of the northern venues that'll never get a Super Bowl or CFP? By the time of the championship, spring will be fully underway. Keeping in mind, of course, that the XFL is looking at big markets.

LeoNY
Coach

Post by LeoNY » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:11 am

Rangersking669 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:33 pm
I think the championship game should just be in the NFL Draft City every year, at least until the league can get settled in for a few years. This would help increase the exposure of the league and its talent, whether it be players or coaches. Maybe do Canton in 2021 instead of Cleveland, to pay homage to the HOF, as others in this board have mentioned, and because Cleveland's stadium is too big, probably. Hopefully, the league can make enough headway by 2023 that filling up 50K seats at least in Arrowhead could be achievable.
XFL Championship Schedule
LV 4/26/20
Cleveland 4/25/21
Oakland/sa/unknown NFL Draft City 4/24/22
KC 4/30/23

more notes: All of the NFL draft cities could be good opportunities for expansion. Vegas is due to how strong their attendance was in the original XFL for their market size and because people still remember "he hate me" and those killer Outlaws jerseys(if they do bring a team to LV, they gotta bring back those colors). Cleveland could be another DC type addition where fans come just because their NFL team is that bad. Also, if the Athletics leave the Coliseum, taking the championship game there for 2022 may not be a bad idea if the NFL draft site doesn't make sense to go to(for example, do you really want to try to go to Boston when they have a lot that can compete with you?), as the Demons were quite popular in 2001. Yes, I know, the leagues are very different, but some of that could still factor into whether people come. KC could be nice for the in-state rivalry and because they have no teams playing in the city until the royals in week 8. Ultimately, any of these football towns without both NBA/NHL teams could be ideal for expansion, and that's where I think they should focus, considering how the XFL went down in chicago before. At least now they can play in a MLS stadium there.
That’s a good idea Rangersking. If the XFL season stays the same length and if the championship game falls on draft weekend every year. The XFL could go to the draft host city. In a way, that weekend features thousands of college players that don’t get drafted. Part of the XFL is about those players. The 98 percent of college football players players that don’t make the NFL every year.

Sounder
Quarterback

Post by Sounder » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:21 pm

I think there's no chance of the NFL allowing this league anywhere near their hollowed ground in Canton.....nor have any interest in detracting from their own draft weekend. They should hold it at the team with home field advantage.....MLS has gone to it and look at the results.....Atlanta sold out last year with better than 73,000......Seattle is sold out completely this year and it happened quickly. The only question is whether they sell enough standing room to push past that. And I'd never change it to nuetral field. Unless perhaps they use the new Vegas stadium without ever placing a team there. Just make it home of the x bowl.

Sounder
Quarterback

Post by Sounder » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:28 pm

Because if you expect fan bases to travel.....and if you expect a walk up ticket sale.....you'll need to hire c list celebrities to be at the event....(for plugging network programming of course)....it should be in Vegas. If not......home field.

LeoNY
Coach

Post by LeoNY » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:46 pm

Sounder wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:21 pm
I think there's no chance of the NFL allowing this league anywhere near their hollowed ground in Canton.....nor have any interest in detracting from their own draft weekend. They should hold it at the team with home field advantage.....MLS has gone to it and look at the results.....Atlanta sold out last year with better than 73,000......Seattle is sold out completely this year and it happened quickly. The only question is whether they sell enough standing room to push past that. And I'd never change it to nuetral field. Unless perhaps they use the new Vegas stadium without ever placing a team there. Just make it home of the x bowl.
The XFL is already playing games in 4 NFL stadiums. Guess those hallow grounds are on limits.

Where do you suggest DC hosts the championship game if they get there since Audi Field is not available