The mainstream sports media coverage of the XFL

XFL Football discussion.
User avatar
MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent
Posts: 2133
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Re: The mainstream sports media coverage of the XFL

Post by MikeMitchell » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:47 pm

The USFL was a Jekyl & Hyde type league. Some aspects were world class. Some elements were bush league. Like not paying players or feeding them or hiring farm hands to be punters. Everyone focuses on Trump but some of the other owners were worse. Many of the owners were Reggie Fowler level owners.

The USFL was never starved for attention but legitimacy and respect from the media wasn’t always there. There were sections of the media that ignored the league. Kind of a mini boycott that took place out of spite and a lack of respect.

User avatar
LeoNY
Coach
Posts: 975
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 8:20 pm

Re: The mainstream sports media coverage of the XFL

Post by LeoNY » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:17 am

The league probably hopes that more mainstream outlets cover the games. It’s old school but having the games on radio in local markets help. The stations then have to promote the games on a weekly basis. Whether they are truly interested in the league or not.

4th&long
Quarterback
Posts: 339
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:27 pm

Re: The mainstream sports media coverage of the XFL

Post by 4th&long » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:30 am

LeoNY wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:17 am
The league probably hopes that more mainstream outlets cover the games. It’s old school but having the games on radio in local markets help. The stations then have to promote the games on a weekly basis. Whether they are truly interested in the league or not.
The WFAN in NY will cover it regardless of a NY team, they certainly will be now. Especially with Boomer... not all the personalities will be supportive but they'll get coverage.

Mad Dog radio will cover it too and Bar Stool and the ESPN/Fox Sports radio changes should as well.

User avatar
MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent
Posts: 2133
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Re: The mainstream sports media coverage of the XFL

Post by MikeMitchell » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:22 pm

4th&long wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:30 am
LeoNY wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:17 am
The league probably hopes that more mainstream outlets cover the games. It’s old school but having the games on radio in local markets help. The stations then have to promote the games on a weekly basis. Whether they are truly interested in the league or not.
The WFAN in NY will cover it regardless of a NY team, they certainly will be now. Especially with Boomer... not all the personalities will be supportive but they'll get coverage.

Mad Dog radio will cover it too and Bar Stool and the ESPN/Fox Sports radio changes should as well.
I’ve been in contact with some media types and outlets in the tri-state area. Some of them are dismissive of the Guardians and the XFL as a whole.

I expect it from closed minded curmudgeons like Gary Myers. Some of the New York media types are elitists. They don’t even treat the local established teams with respect. The writers in NY are disrespectful towards the franchises. They act like the teams should be catering to them.

When Jets GM Joe Douglas stated that they were going to be watching and scouting the XFL closely. The media members were dismissive of that idea and the league’s existence.

Hopefully the newer generation of NY media types will be more receptive and open minded.

Some of the media types see the XFL and The Guardians on the same level as indoor football leagues and their teams. Hopefully WFAN and ESPN radio throw some shine towards the Guardians and the XFL.

User avatar
Tank55
Coach
Posts: 882
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:57 pm

Re: The mainstream sports media coverage of the XFL

Post by Tank55 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:02 pm

New York has got to have the weirdest and most toxic sports media scene in the country.

GDAWG
Coach
Posts: 794
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:15 pm

Re: The mainstream sports media coverage of the XFL

Post by GDAWG » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:06 pm

If I had to guess the radio station doing Renegades games, I would think it's Sportsradio 1310 the Ticket. They don't cover the XFL much at all, but when they do, it's usually positive. Plus, it helps that they have two hosts, Craig Miller and Corby Davidson with ties to OU (they didn't go to OU themselves but their parents did). The only thing that they have been negative about is the fact that Globe Life Park is being used for football, thinking that it should be torn down and that there are plenty of options that the Renegades should have chosen. One more reason likely is Mike Doocy, who is the head of the Sports Department for KDFW, the Fox Affiliate in DFW. He is a frequent fill in host on the Ticket and usually has Ticket guys on his sports show "Free For All" on Tuesdays. Doocy on that show has interviewed Landry Jones and Oliver Luck and wasn't negative about it. I am not sure who would be the broadcast crew, but I would not be surprised if Doocy's co-host on Free For All, Sam Gannon works the sidelines for Renegades games since she too hasn't been negative about it.

I would rule out ESPN 103.3 at this point as the local broadcaster because they have not once talked XFL and the few times that they have, they were more negative about it than the Ticket. If 103.3 does broadcast, it will be via national ESPN Radio. 105.3 The Fan is out because they cover the Cowboys and the Texas Rangers. The radio hosts are also a bit snobbish anyways.

User avatar
MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent
Posts: 2133
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Re: The mainstream sports media coverage of the XFL

Post by MikeMitchell » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:22 pm

Tank55 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:02 pm
New York has got to have the weirdest and most toxic sports media scene in the country.
I can’t argue with this. There are some cool and classy media types in the market but there are a lot of vindictive elitists in the press. They will actively try and sabotage teams and root against the teams they are covering. Especially if the teams don’t cater to them and give them everything they want.

Some of the media types act like they are doing the teams a favor by covering them. I am sure that the Guardians communications department will have to bend over backwards just to try and get certain media members to cover their games.

GDAWG
Coach
Posts: 794
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:15 pm

Re: The mainstream sports media coverage of the XFL

Post by GDAWG » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:50 pm

Tank55 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:02 pm
New York has got to have the weirdest and most toxic sports media scene in the country.
They bashed the Giants for hiring Joe Judge, with the main reaction being "who the hell is that?"

4th&long
Quarterback
Posts: 339
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:27 pm

Re: The mainstream sports media coverage of the XFL

Post by 4th&long » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:07 pm

GDAWG wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:50 pm
Tank55 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:02 pm
New York has got to have the weirdest and most toxic sports media scene in the country.
They bashed the Giants for hiring Joe Judge, with the main reaction being "who the hell is that?"
Well honestly so did everyone

User avatar
MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent
Posts: 2133
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Re: The mainstream sports media coverage of the XFL

Post by MikeMitchell » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:23 pm

The XFL has to be really pleased with the level of coverage that they got during their rules release last Tuesday.

The league got a lot of positive coverage from mainstream media outlets. Oliver Luck did over a hundred interviews. Dean Blandino was also very busy. It was a positive week for the league in that respect.

Post Reply