4th&long
Coach

Why XFL likely coming back?

Post by 4th&long » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:18 pm

Why XFL likely coming back?

ANSWER:
1) Ratings
2) Apolitical entertainment

Let's compare to MLS w/o any real sports competition this weekend, covid restrictions out-of-home and in primetime:

7/17 (Friday) -
MLS REGULAR SEASON L: SPORTING KANSAS CITY/COLORADO RAPIDS ESPN2 8:00 PM 92k
MLS REGULAR SEASON L: REAL SALT LAKE/MINNESOTA UNITED FC ESPN 10:18 PM 162k
http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/s ... -2020.html

7/18 (Saturday) -
MLS REGULAR SEASON L: LAFC/LA GALAXY ESPN 10:26 PM 296k
MLS REGULAR SEASON L: PORTLAND/HOUSTON ESPN 8:00 PM 266k

7/19 (Saturday) -
MLS IS BACK TOURNAMENT L: SEATTLE SOUNDERS/VANCOUVER WHITECAPS FS1 10:34 PM 164k
MLS IS BACK TOURNAMENT L: CHICAGO FIRE/SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES FS1 8:00 PM 130k

MLS avg: 185k per game. That's pathetic. Now they did embrace some politics at least early on as well - can't say impact on ratings but it does seem it didn't help.

Compare that to afternoon and early evening XFL games going up against NBA, NCAABB, and NHL etc in Feb
ESPN 1.6 million, ESPN2 1.0 million and FS1 1.1 million having a 1.25 million viewer average on like-kind channels.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_XFL_season

The XFL is a no brainer between the two, and if they remain apolitical they may gain a further advantage.

(This thread goes along with bankruptcy but needed its own IP)

GDAWG
Coach

Re: Why XFL likely coming back?

Post by GDAWG » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:37 pm

I am skeptical of the league returning in 2021. I am more optimistic though about the league returning in 2022.

4th&long
Coach

Post by 4th&long » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:40 pm

GDAWG wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:37 pm
I am skeptical of the league returning in 2021. I am more optimistic though about the league returning in 2022.
They have put together a Houston only (similar to NBA/MLS with no fans in 2021 should the virus be a concern. Which I sincerely doubt but they have it. It would be TV oriented and likely no or limited fans. Its part of the XFL teams sales pitch to prospective ownership thru the bankruptcy.

GDAWG
Coach

Post by GDAWG » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:22 pm

4th&long wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:40 pm
GDAWG wrote:
They have put together a Houston only (similar to NBA/MLS with no fans in 2021 should the virus be a concern. Which I sincerely doubt but they have it. It would be TV oriented and likely no or limited fans. Its part of the XFL teams sales pitch to prospective ownership thru the bankruptcy.
Houston is a major hot spot for the virus, so they would need to have all of the players contained in a bubble and would not be allowed to leave the bubble for any reason. Provided of course, the virus is still raging in America by that time, which I think it will still be because we cannot get our act together.

MGB01
Coach

Post by MGB01 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:00 am

Of course this is all why Fauci has been becoming this media star for the last three months while you never heard of/from him during H1N1 or Ebola....................

4th&long
Coach

Post by 4th&long » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:09 am

GDAWG wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:22 pm
4th&long wrote:
GDAWG wrote:
Houston is a major hot spot for the virus, so they would need to have all of the players contained in a bubble and would not be allowed to leave the bubble for any reason. Provided of course, the virus is still raging in America by that time, which I think it will still be because we cannot get our act together.
The virus was raging in NY and NJ and burned out - it will do the same in the 4 states now. Again look at some of my links to CDC for 1957 and 1968 "flu's". These areas had heavy protests and they are paying the price now, but in the end it just fastens the pace of burn out. Texas has horrible data but AZ, FL and Calif have pretty good Covid/Virus websites. Keep in mind the known cases is likely 1/10 (give or take) of actual cases based on AntiBody studies and other reports... and the CDC itself. Its July, Dec/Jan is 5/6 months away... optimism!

GregParks
XFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:06 am

GDAWG wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:22 pm
4th&long wrote:
GDAWG wrote:
I've written this before, but even if things don't get better between now and then, the XFL will have every other major sports league's plans to play amid the virus to look at and see what they did well/what they didn't do well, and plan their season accordingly. You'd think a plan would have to be in place by November or December for camps, and hopefully by then whoever is running the XFL will have an idea, based on what other sports leagues did, what will work. Not having to get changes passed through a player's union will also expedite the process.
@gregmparks

Sounder
Quarterback

Post by Sounder » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:37 am

It will be interesting to have NBA/NHL/MLS/MLB AND the NFL all happening at the same time......if you have all the subscriptions....you're set
We may have college football in the spring.... it'll be nuts trying to get everything back on calendar.

4th&long
Coach

Post by 4th&long » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:57 pm

Sounder wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:37 am
It will be interesting to have NBA/NHL/MLS/MLB AND the NFL all happening at the same time......if you have all the subscriptions....you're set
We may have college football in the spring.... it'll be nuts trying to get everything back on calendar.
CFB will play in the fall. HS football is and most conferences are moving ahead already. Pro is playing.

As described in other threads - China-covid doesn't impact those under 24 (what are there 120-180 fatalities nationally 15-24?).

The issue with sports is the league that does the least VSignaling and least push-down-throat of politics will benefit the most (comparatively*).

MGB01
Coach

Post by MGB01 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:51 pm

Actually not all, the WIAA just moved WA's to a March-May schedule, which with the Pac 12 set to start quasi-on schedule (nine game conf-only season beginning Sept 19 this is gonna split it and recruiting down the middle, which is why I thought that moving to spring was possible, but only in a "break glass" situation (remember a few years ago G5 conferences turned down a move to spring, well actually more like met with howling laughter).

There are some FCS conferences that will play then however, and probably more to be announced next week