B.C. Lions owner: No games will lead to no CFL

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
Coach

B.C. Lions owner: No games will lead to no CFL

Post by 4th&long » Tue May 19, 2020 9:12 pm

B.C. Lions owner David Braley sounds the alarm: No games will lead to no CFL

https://torontosun.com/sports/football/ ... -to-no-cfl

>>David Braley owned both the Toronto Argonauts and BC Lions at the same time after purchasing the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in the late 1980s.

He’s a proud Canadian and a staunch supporter of the CFL who realizes the league is facing a serious threat to its very existence amid the pandemic.

Braley, appearing on TSN Radio 1040, believes a truncated season is possible because the alternative, according to the retired Senator, is extinction.

“I think there’s enough time to play from Sept. 5, Sept. 6 on, to play an eight-game, nine-game schedule,” said Braley, now owner of only the Lions. “I don’t think we should throw it out because I really believe if we don’t play this year, there’s a very good chance that we won’t survive.”<<

MGB01
Coach

Re: B.C. Lions owner: No games will lead to no CFL

Post by MGB01 » Wed May 20, 2020 12:36 am

What's interesting is the CFL just inked a new deal with TSN last fall and had two streaming deals in the works. Not sure of the money involved in the latter but the former was said to be at least 50 mil, plus there's a couple more in exp fees when they finally get Halifax going. And yet the pandemic could wipe it all out cause there wouldn't be any game day revenue.

I go back and re-read Endzones and Border Wars every so often and it would seem to confirm that. Baltimore thrived among the US markets (they were truly what St. Louis was to the XFL, which is why I wouldn't have minded/actually preferred the St. Louis Stallions name) while everything else was a joke--Sacramento was fun and drew decent but Fred Anderson lost ten mil over the two years they were there. Though I guess it was a miracle that Memphis drew as well as they did once September hit and they were managing to pull in 8-10k at noon on Sunday against the early NFL window.

Just your nightly reminder that all the leagues/orgs that are coming back are straight making from TV. They aren't prospering in this environment, but they can withstand it. The CFL's unfortunately a bit of an unknown, just proof you can have TV money and that's not the be all end all (see USFL, even the AFL to an extent)