FL Gov welcomes teams to play in FL

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
Coach

FL Gov welcomes teams to play in FL

Post by 4th&long » Wed May 13, 2020 3:30 pm

>>Florida governor: Teams that can’t play in their states are welcome here<<

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... come-here/

>>Florida Governor Ron DeSantis says his state is ready, willing and able to welcome any NFL teams that can’t operate in their own states.

Amid talk that California and some other states won’t lift restrictions in time for the NFL season, DeSantis is positioning his state to be the temporary home of those teams. DeSantis said he is reaching out to commissioners of professional sports leagues to let them know it can work.

“If you have a team in a league in an area that just won’t operate, we’ll find a place for them here in Florida,” DeSantis said.

DeSantis said Floridians support sports taking place again.

“Our people are starved to have some of this back in our lives,” DeSantis said. “I think we can certainly do it in a way that’s safe.”

MGB01
Coach

Re: FL Gov welcomes teams to play in FL

Post by MGB01 » Wed May 13, 2020 6:07 pm

Predictably, the shutdown army is going after him in the comment section, but the fact is Florida would have been ground zero at some point based on the Super Bowl (keep in mind a few weeks back Florio totally bought into the article about the Niners saving lives by losing, which sounds like it came from the Onion--or as of late CNN), so obviously something's working there.

4th&long
Coach

Post by 4th&long » Wed May 13, 2020 6:19 pm

MGB01 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 6:07 pm
Predictably, the shutdown army is going after him in the comment section, but the fact is Florida would have been ground zero at some point based on the Super Bowl (keep in mind a few weeks back Florio totally bought into the article about the Niners saving lives by losing, which sounds like it came from the Onion--or as of late CNN), so obviously something's working there.
I tried posting florida info in comments and MODS there would not post it. So much for free speech. Good for DeSantis and Florida. Time to accept that this is a old person disease and redirect our focus to maximize living and save the economy from Chinese destruction.

Metallifreak10
Running Back

Post by Metallifreak10 » Wed May 13, 2020 8:12 pm

Man...I wish Desantis was my state’s governor.

johnnyangryfuzzball
Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball » Thu May 14, 2020 7:15 am

Arizona has said the same thing—and of course NASCAR is racing in the Carolinas for the next few weeks.

Even in the northeast, things are starting to loosen up (and as of note, New York still has twice the daily number of daily cases as Texas even though they have similar populations). It's been two months and I think most states (the Left Coast excepted) realize this has gone on long enough, maybe too long, and that it's time to take more targeted action instead of broad stay-home orders that have questionable efficacy.

4th&long
Coach

Post by 4th&long » Thu May 14, 2020 8:56 am

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 7:15 am
Arizona has said the same thing—and of course NASCAR is racing in the Carolinas for the next few weeks.

Even in the northeast, things are starting to loosen up (and as of note, New York still has twice the daily number of daily cases as Texas even though they have similar populations). It's been two months and I think most states (the Left Coast excepted) realize this has gone on long enough, maybe too long, and that it's time to take more targeted action instead of broad stay-home orders that have questionable efficacy.
Slightly - NE yes but...

Actually Texas is 50% bigger than NY (29mm Tx for 19+mm for NY). PA is still stalling and NJ is dragging. NY may open upstate which never should have been closed this long. PA barely opening up western part of state, still very restrictive.

MGB01
Coach

Post by MGB01 » Fri May 15, 2020 2:29 pm

Metallifreak10 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:12 pm
Man...I wish Desantis was my state’s governor.
Heh, tell me about it. My gov is the leader of the Western States Collective and the only reason he and Cooper(NC) are doing phased reopening is cause they're the only two up for re-election this year. The others are doing it in name only because their SAH orders have been been extended in some places into September (esp Brown and Newsom, which has all but wiped out any chance of the Pac 12 playing this year, at least before January)