4th&long
Coach

Re: CFL could fold - looks for Gov bailout

Post by 4th&long » Sun May 10, 2020 12:16 am

MarkNelson wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 11:22 pm
4th&long wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 10:00 pm
Speaking of Canada - the push back is growing there too...

And resistance is going to grow...
There is a minor "pushback" movement here in Canada, and it mostly comes from watching and mimicking the movement in the United States. Most Canadians see Covid as a real threat and we've been fighting it effectively through smart tactics like social distancing.

I hope the CFL does not lose this entire season, but Covid outbreaks in Ontario and Quebec may make playing games in Canada's most populous regions impossible. If all teams cannot hit the field, then the league will pause.

I am willing to bet some teams will go bankrupt. Keep in mind the teams are not owned by the league, like the XFL was.
I'm sure most Canadian will see the China Virus as less of a threat as they soak in the math and science of it (lower death rates for under 50 and focus on vulnerable) as more Americans see it; especially when their economy is savaged by it and it hits their pocket book. As more reports of the actual numbers come out its going to be hard to ignore; plus people are seeing Sweden as a better way.

This could happen relatively quickly or not. But IF the CFL season is cancelled and the ca-Gov doesn't provide funding the CFL could be a goner. That may be a benefit in the medium and long term for the NFL.

4th&long
Coach

Post by 4th&long » Wed May 13, 2020 6:22 pm

CFL and players union working together on Government petition.

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl-players-associat ... -1.1475172

>> Following two busy days of meetings between the Canadian Football League and the CFL Players' Association, there is cautious optimism as the two sides will work together moving forward on their funding request to the federal government, TSN's Farhan Lalji reported.

Following two busy days of meetings between @CFL & @CFLPA there is cautious optimism, “We have a lot of work to do, says PA president @SolomonE56. “We understand were stronger together, so we need to put our differences aside & come up with solutions together.“ ...1/2 @TSN_Sports
— Farhan Lalji (@FarhanLaljiTSN) May 13, 2020

"We have a lot of work to do," CFLPA president Solomon Elimimian told Lalji. "We understand we're stronger together, so we need to put our differences aside and come up with solutions together."<<

Wise decision.

Sounder
Quarterback

Post by Sounder » Thu May 14, 2020 7:20 pm

Well..... I see no way the CFL plays this summer unless stadiums are empty.....and if that's what butters their bread, I'd just take a pass on this season. Would cancelling the season before it starts allow them a better shot at longer term survival?

4th&long
Coach

Post by 4th&long » Thu May 14, 2020 7:39 pm

Metallifreak10 wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 12:05 am
MarkNelson wrote:
4th&long wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 10:00 pm
Speaking of Canada - the push back is growing there too...

And resistance is going to grow...
There is a minor "pushback" movement here in Canada, and it mostly comes from watching and mimicking the movement in the United States. Most Canadians see Covid as a real threat and we've been fighting it effectively through smart tactics like social distancing.

I hope the CFL does not lose this entire season, but Covid outbreaks in Ontario and Quebec may make playing games in Canada's most populous regions impossible. If all teams cannot hit the field, then the league will pause.

I am willing to bet some teams will go bankrupt. Keep in mind the teams are not owned by the league, like the XFL was.
You are suggesting that people in the US aren’t taking COVID seriously?? Are you just paying attention to what you see on the news? Here where I live (west suburbs of Chicago) you can walk into a store and see 95%+ wearing face masks. When out for a walk people avoid each other. I’ve yet to have one person on the sidewalk, or the state park I was just at Thursday come inside our little Bubble.

What most of us who are pushing to open back up want is an opportunity for businesses to operate like the other supposed “essential” businesses. Allow them the chance to do self-mitigation.

We also base this off the fact that the death rate is under 1%. If it was 10%, I’d support full scale lockdowns. But, since it’s under 1%, things don’t have to be quite as drastic. Protect the old and vulnerable, but allow businesses to operate with rules.
Death rates are well under 1%, for all those under 60, and the rate drops exponentially as you get younger - when u consider all those infected. NY estimates 2.5-3mm have the virus in the state based on Antibody testing, 330k reporting . Miami area 165k - when on 15k are reportitoring. When factoring in those number rates are far lower. Look at Sweden.

johnnyangryfuzzball
Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball » Mon May 18, 2020 12:22 pm

4th&long wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 7:39 pm
Metallifreak10 wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 12:05 am
MarkNelson wrote:

You are suggesting that people in the US aren’t taking COVID seriously?? Are you just paying attention to what you see on the news? Here where I live (west suburbs of Chicago) you can walk into a store and see 95%+ wearing face masks. When out for a walk people avoid each other. I’ve yet to have one person on the sidewalk, or the state park I was just at Thursday come inside our little Bubble.

What most of us who are pushing to open back up want is an opportunity for businesses to operate like the other supposed “essential” businesses. Allow them the chance to do self-mitigation.

We also base this off the fact that the death rate is under 1%. If it was 10%, I’d support full scale lockdowns. But, since it’s under 1%, things don’t have to be quite as drastic. Protect the old and vulnerable, but allow businesses to operate with rules.
Death rates are well under 1%, for all those under 60, and the rate drops exponentially as you get younger - when u consider all those infected. NY estimates 2.5-3mm have the virus in the state based on Antibody testing, 330k reporting . Miami area 165k - when on 15k are reportitoring. When factoring in those number rates are far lower. Look at Sweden.
Plus, it appears that coronaviruses trigger broad antibodies that protect against multiple strains, as they respond to the outer shell and not the inner RNA that mutates. Meaning anyone with a common cold strain of the virus would also have some immunity to this virus and thus herd immunity is a lot more plausible, sooner, than originally thought.
https://www.cell.com/action/showPdf?pii ... %2930610-3