CFL could fold - looks for Gov bailout

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
Coach

CFL could fold - looks for Gov bailout

Post by 4th&long » Fri May 08, 2020 2:34 am

Move over XFL... CFL may join you

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/29 ... son-likely

>> Canadian Football League Commissioner Randy Ambrosie said the most likely scenario is to cancel the season because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Ambrosie made the admission Thursday in testimony to a House of Commons standing committee on finance. He appeared via video during a panel on arts, culture, sports and charitable organizations after news broke last week that the CFL requested up to $150 million Canadian in assistance from the federal government.

The commissioner said the league's future is "very much in jeopardy" and that teams collectively lost about $20 million last year.

"Ours is a big brand but not a wealthy business," Ambrosie said. "Unlike large U.S.-based leagues, our biggest source of revenue is not TV -- it's ticket sales.

"Governments coping with COVID 19 -- for reasons of public health that we totally support -- have made it impossible for us to do what we do. Our best-case scenario for this year is a drastically truncated season. And our most likely scenario is no season at all." <<

Reality of the excessive lockdowns are coming in... Jobs are on the line. With 65% of people under 50 and death rates for that age group low and getting lower with improved treatments - its time to look at the science/math and not 'stay the course'. The numbers just aren't there (NY/NJ will need a bit more time but will be closer to herd immunity). Canada is like the USA ex-NY/NJ - low #s. Focus on the risk groups, and phase back into normal while using mitigation.

SamTheRam28
Quarterback

Re: CFL could fold - looks for Gov bailout

Post by SamTheRam28 » Fri May 08, 2020 3:00 am

I don't see the league folding, but if it did it would be catastrophic for football as a whole.

If a player doesn't make the NFL out of college and there is no CFL or any other outdoor football league, that player is essentially screwed. Not to mention coaches, staff, etc. that would not have anywhere to go. Just look at all the AAF/XFL players and coaches that have ended up in the NFL (there will be more as well).

If the Canadian government does not save the CFL, I could see the NFL helping them stay afloat.
St. Louis BattleHawks

johnnyangryfuzzball
Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball » Fri May 08, 2020 10:04 am

That could however lead to more opportunity once the pandemic passes, as all pandemics have.

4th&long
Coach

Post by 4th&long » Fri May 08, 2020 11:00 am

SamTheRam28 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 3:00 am
I don't see the league folding, but if it did it would be catastrophic for football as a whole.

If a player doesn't make the NFL out of college and there is no CFL or any other outdoor football league, that player is essentially screwed. Not to mention coaches, staff, etc. that would not have anywhere to go. Just look at all the AAF/XFL players and coaches that have ended up in the NFL (there will be more as well).

If the Canadian government does not save the CFL, I could see the NFL helping them stay afloat.
The NFL didnt bail out the XFL which s more aligned with NFL style FB - why would they bailout CFL. A CFL collapse would open up Canada to American style FB

MGB01
Coach

Post by MGB01 » Fri May 08, 2020 3:09 pm

4th&long wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 11:00 am
SamTheRam28 wrote:

The NFL didnt bail out the XFL which s more aligned with NFL style FB - why would they bailout CFL. A CFL collapse would open up Canada to American style FB
The NFL actually did bail out the CFL once, though nowhere near what they're looking for today.

4th&long
Coach

Post by 4th&long » Fri May 08, 2020 3:54 pm

MGB01 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 3:09 pm
4th&long wrote:
SamTheRam28 wrote:

The NFL actually did bail out the CFL once, though nowhere near what they're looking for today.
Different time - NFL would love 2-3 teams in canada adding 40mm people to its market without going to europe

They could have bought the XFL or invested and passed and that they are not something they would benefit from as much as moving into Canada.

MGB01
Coach

Post by MGB01 » Sat May 09, 2020 1:36 pm

4th&long wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 3:54 pm
MGB01 wrote:
4th&long wrote:

Different time - NFL would love 2-3 teams in canada adding 40mm people to its market without going to europe

They could have bought the XFL or invested and passed and that they are not something they would benefit from as much as moving into Canada.
Hell, there's your 17th game solution: Just put teams in Toronto and Vancouver, everybody else's schedule stays the same plus TOR/VAN (depending on conference). Their schedule is everybody in the conference, plus the opposite exp team--a la TB and Seattle in the 70s, only switch them every couple years so you can get both home and away.

Damn that sounds like a nice little sim project😁

4th&long
Coach

Post by 4th&long » Sat May 09, 2020 10:00 pm

MGB01 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 1:36 pm
4th&long wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 3:54 pm
MGB01 wrote:

Hell, there's your 17th game solution: Just put teams in Toronto and Vancouver, everybody else's schedule stays the same plus TOR/VAN (depending on conference). Their schedule is everybody in the conference, plus the opposite exp team--a la TB and Seattle in the 70s, only switch them every couple years so you can get both home and away.

Damn that sounds like a nice little sim project😁
Speaking of Canada - the push back is growing there too...

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/conrad ... ving-again

>> Conrad Black: Fear of COVID-19 is overblown, it's time to get the economy moving again
The danger of death for 80 per cent of people is not statistically significant, and there is no excuse for continuing any substantial part of the lockdown in respect of them <<

And resistance is going to grow...

But the financial risk is real?

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cfl/ ... -1.5563123

>> Greenham says this isn't anything new, as the CFL has previously asked for public and government funding to stay alive. He points to the mid-90s when the NFL and then Canadian businesses pulled the league off the edge of a cliff.

"The CFL has come to the Canadian public, whether it's the federal government, provincial government, the civic governments, with their hands out and asking for money and the governments have always been there," he said.

"And I get the feeling the government will be there again for them just based on history. No government wants to be responsible for the death of the CFL."<<

Also

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cfl/ ... -1.5562275

MarkNelson
XFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson » Sat May 09, 2020 11:22 pm

4th&long wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 10:00 pm

There is a minor "pushback" movement here in Canada, and it mostly comes from watching and mimicking the movement in the United States. Most Canadians see Covid as a real threat and we've been fighting it effectively through smart tactics like social distancing.

I hope the CFL does not lose this entire season, but Covid outbreaks in Ontario and Quebec may make playing games in Canada's most populous regions impossible. If all teams cannot hit the field, then the league will pause.

I am willing to bet some teams will go bankrupt. Keep in mind the teams are not owned by the league, like the XFL was.

Metallifreak10
Running Back

Post by Metallifreak10 » Sun May 10, 2020 12:05 am

MarkNelson wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 11:22 pm
4th&long wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 10:00 pm

There is a minor "pushback" movement here in Canada, and it mostly comes from watching and mimicking the movement in the United States. Most Canadians see Covid as a real threat and we've been fighting it effectively through smart tactics like social distancing.

I hope the CFL does not lose this entire season, but Covid outbreaks in Ontario and Quebec may make playing games in Canada's most populous regions impossible. If all teams cannot hit the field, then the league will pause.

I am willing to bet some teams will go bankrupt. Keep in mind the teams are not owned by the league, like the XFL was.
You are suggesting that people in the US aren’t taking COVID seriously?? Are you just paying attention to what you see on the news? Here where I live (west suburbs of Chicago) you can walk into a store and see 95%+ wearing face masks. When out for a walk people avoid each other. I’ve yet to have one person on the sidewalk, or the state park I was just at Thursday come inside our little Bubble.

What most of us who are pushing to open back up want is an opportunity for businesses to operate like the other supposed “essential” businesses. Allow them the chance to do self-mitigation.

We also base this off the fact that the death rate is under 1%. If it was 10%, I’d support full scale lockdowns. But, since it’s under 1%, things don’t have to be quite as drastic. Protect the old and vulnerable, but allow businesses to operate with rules.