OL, Week 6, VM and the XFL bankruptcy

XFL Football discussion.
GDAWG
Coach

Re: OL, Week 6, VM and the XFL bankruptcy

Post by GDAWG » Fri May 01, 2020 12:07 pm

Sounder wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:21 pm
This is a rumor, not fact yet......but there is a speculation that Vince may be entertaining the idea of selling WWE to ESPN/Fox. This is not the "Khan buys AAF" rumor of a month ago. If it were true, maybe that includes the XFL as well.
That's false. ESPN and Fox have only expressed interest in WWE PPVs, but not the company as a whole.

MGB01
Coach

Post by MGB01 » Fri May 01, 2020 1:42 pm

GDAWG wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 12:07 pm
Sounder wrote:
This is a rumor, not fact yet......but there is a speculation that Vince may be entertaining the idea of selling WWE to ESPN/Fox. This is not the "Khan buys AAF" rumor of a month ago. If it were true, maybe that includes the XFL as well.
That's false. ESPN and Fox have only expressed interest in WWE PPVs, but not the company as a whole.
While it isn't impossible that, family business aside, the McMahons would ever sell WWE--even to a media conglomerate, as Jim Crockett Jr sold to Turner (Jim Sr started JCP in the 30s) in 1988, the fact is there's no reason to. It wasn't a consideration in the mid 90s when they were losing millions, top guys were defecting to WCW left and right, and Vince himself was on trial so why would it be when they're doing tremendous business now? Any "losses" at this point are pretty much based solely on comparison to prior years or potential gains, not actual losses.

Besides, Turner bought WCW out of loyalty since it not only saved TBS but allowed him to go national. Considering ESPN's long bipolarity towards wrestling (televised it for about a decade, went totally into this anti-wrestling blitz that was chic in the media in the late 90s, then is back to all cozy again) I wouldn't count on an ESPN-owned WWE getting any sort of favored nation status. Hell WCW was under the gun even with Turner's backing--also even during the three years they did mega-millions, and you knew that they were gone once he was out of the picture. That still lasted over 12 years, this would be lucky to last a year.

Which is why I believe they'd rather just let it go under than sell.

Sounder
Quarterback

Post by Sounder » Tue May 05, 2020 2:09 pm

MGB01 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 1:42 pm
GDAWG wrote:
Sounder wrote:
While it isn't impossible that, family business aside, the McMahons would ever sell WWE--even to a media conglomerate, as Jim Crockett Jr sold to Turner (Jim Sr started JCP in the 30s) in 1988, the fact is there's no reason to. It wasn't a consideration in the mid 90s when they were losing millions, top guys were defecting to WCW left and right, and Vince himself was on trial so why would it be when they're doing tremendous business now? Any "losses" at this point are pretty much based solely on comparison to prior years or potential gains, not actual losses.

Besides, Turner bought WCW out of loyalty since it not only saved TBS but allowed him to go national. Considering ESPN's long bipolarity towards wrestling (televised it for about a decade, went totally into this anti-wrestling blitz that was chic in the media in the late 90s, then is back to all cozy again) I wouldn't count on an ESPN-owned WWE getting any sort of favored nation status. Hell WCW was under the gun even with Turner's backing--also even during the three years they did mega-millions, and you knew that they were gone once he was out of the picture. That still lasted over 12 years, this would be lucky to last a year.

I used to watch wrestling on ESPN.....I guess they don't support tractor pulls anymore either.

MGB01
Coach

Post by MGB01 » Tue May 05, 2020 5:07 pm

Sounder wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:09 pm
MGB01 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 1:42 pm
GDAWG wrote:

I used to watch wrestling on ESPN.....I guess they don't support tractor pulls anymore either.
Oh that was the stuff. First they paired AWA with Roller Derby (which totally had a wrestling setup, they had a Jim Cornette-type as one of the heel managers) on Tuesdays, then they moved it to Saturday nights and paired it with World Class (probably my all-time favorite promotion), in addition to all the best-ofs that I often skipped school for.

There's a few exceptions, but they can sell that everybody who made it big in the business for like two decades all were on ESPN at one point (and by airing some Wrestlemanias in the early part of the shutdown they got a good part of the rest)