XFL Football discussion.
LeoNY
Coach

Re: XFL preseason games?

Post by LeoNY » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:37 pm

Andibald wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:52 pm
MGB01 wrote: 38030 user_id=2504]
The latter would seem to be that test game we were talking about a few weeks back.
Yes. Here is the article
https://xflboard.com/news/2019/12/10/ne ... -minicamp/
Mitchell had this back in December. Gilbride didn't like that NY is playing Tampa. These are all network test games for week one.

MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:12 am

GregParks wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:37 pm
For broadcast purposes, it's important to do a "dry run" during these preseason games, especially if the networks are banking on technological innovations to help draw in viewers. That's not even to speak of the necessity of coaches/players/refs wanting some live game work to prep for the season and get used to the new rules.

As much as die-hard XFL fans would love to see these games in some form, it's in the XFL's best interests to not air them anywhere. Fans should be drawn to the first regular season game to see what the product will look like...if they give that away before the first game, for many the intrigue won't be there. And it's not worth wasting that first week's rating by showing these preseason games online or wherever else they might be shown. I'd even advocate not bringing fans in for the games, either.
We discussed this on the board back in December, after I released my article. Kevin Gilbride, not surprisingly, is not happy with having to play Tampa, but he realizes that this is for the networks.

Here is a quote from Gilbride in my most recent Guardians article last weekend;
On the 21st, the Guardians will have a full game scrimmage with the Tampa Bay Vipers at the end of training camp. As Kevin Gilbride revealed in December, the game will act as a dress rehearsal for the season opener.

“Unfortunately, I don’t like it, but we are going against the team we’re going to open with against Tampa. Our broadcast partners want to see so that they can do their best job on opening day. So they want to see the two teams playing against each other and get a feel for the flow of the game and the players. I would rather play anybody but the team we are going to open with.”
– Kevin Gilbride on the Guardians-Vipers scrimmage on 1/21

Regular Joe
Running Back

Post by Regular Joe » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:17 am

Just to get guys some full speed action too. Don't want their first hits to be knocking rust off of them. Get rid of those jitters.
Your advertising here

LeoNY
Coach

Post by LeoNY » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:15 pm

That’s why I love this board. The sports media catches on to XFL news late. I still read people tweeting and asking about what networks the games are on, and if the league is going to have a draft.

It’s more surprising with XFL followers when they are not up on things that have been out there for months.

Like Dean Blandino, XFL rules and these “preseason games”. Reading is fundamental.

Firecop
Quarterback

Post by Firecop » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:01 pm

Well, I still don't like it; HOWEVER, whatever is best for the XFL and TV coverage is OK with me. Despite being a diehard Dragons fan, I want the league to succeed as a whole no matter how they go about it.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair

Tank55
Coach

Post by Tank55 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:00 pm

That's the right attitude. I mean, it's not like they're winning Week 1 either way.

Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:34 am

Tank55 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:00 pm
That's the right attitude. I mean, it's not like they're winning Week 1 either way.
And so it begins... :D
It's gettin' hot in here...and we about to burn 'em up!

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion will have at least two losses ;)

Sounder
Quarterback

Post by Sounder » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:04 pm

It's been said here before.....only one opportunity to make that first and lasting impression ....and the league is dotting every I and crossing every t......everything they've done has been that way, so despite the flailings we've seen with past attempts.....you couldn't have done it any more right in terms of preparedness.

Firecop
Quarterback

Post by Firecop » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:36 pm

Tank55, smack talk already - really? Well, bring it on Brother! ha ha Just wait until the season really kicks off!!!!!
Direct from the Dragon's Lair

johnnyangryfuzzball
Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:19 pm

They apparently have been holding some half-game scrimmages, too:

Guardians v. Defenders
https://www.xfl.com/en-US/articles/scri ... -defenders

Vipers v. Dragons
https://www.xfl.com/en-US/articles/scri ... vs-dragons

Renegades v. Wildcats
https://www.xfl.com/en-US/articles/scri ... -renegades

BattleHawks v. Roughnecks
https://www.xfl.com/en-US/articles/scri ... roughnecks

No scores were released, but the league did release a few highlights.