Potential XFL HC - Wade Phillips?

XFL Football discussion.
Post Reply
4th&long
Quarterback
Posts: 305
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:27 pm

Potential XFL HC - Wade Phillips?

Post by 4th&long » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:11 am

Yes we have 8 HC's now but that can change quick.... Wade is going to be 73yrs old this yr, but still wants to coach and has both DC and HC experience...

Is this the target HC that fits into the short and sweet XFL season?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -to-coach/

>> So while Phillips turns 73 in June, he says he wants to coach again. Given his success as a defensive coordinator, some team could give him a chance to coach again after the Rams dismissed him Monday.

“I have been informed by the Rams that my contract will not be renewed,” Phillips tweeted. “I want to thank them for the opportunity to be a part of their success the last three years. Most of all I want to thank the players who I loved working with. I still want to coach and feel I can contribute.” <<

Sign up for ESPN+ and Stream Live Sports! Advertisement
GregParks
XFLBoard Correspondent
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue May 28, 2019 8:09 pm

Re: Potential XFL HC - Wade Phillips?

Post by GregParks » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:44 am

He should have no problem getting another NFL DC job.
@gregmparks

User avatar
MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent
Posts: 2133
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Re: Potential XFL HC - Wade Phillips?

Post by MikeMitchell » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:50 am

Phillips would have been a unique option in Houston if the June Jones deal didn't work out and it almost didn't happen. Wade has Houston history because of his dad Bum, so that would have made for a great storyline.

Phillips should be in demand for DC jobs in the NFL but if by some chance, the XFL has an opening, or expands in the future. Wade Phillips is surely someone to consider. Now back to reading these XFL rules.

4th&long
Quarterback
Posts: 305
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:27 pm

Re: Potential XFL HC - Wade Phillips?

Post by 4th&long » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:43 am

GregParks wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:44 am
He should have no problem getting another NFL DC job.
I agree, but does he really want an 11.5 month job in the NFL or a 6 month max job in the XFL.

I brought up Wade not because he got let go, but because of his age. Are mid 70's former DC/OC/HC's a potential target for XFL due to the advantage of a short/concise XFL season offers?

User avatar
Tank55
Coach
Posts: 866
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:57 pm

Re: Potential XFL HC - Wade Phillips?

Post by Tank55 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:01 pm

Yes, I think the lifestyle is definitely part of the appeal for some coaches. It's just about the one absolute advantage the XFL can offer over other jobs.

Phillips' daughter is in Southern California, correct? I think that was part of the reason he wanted the Rams job.

User avatar
johnnyangryfuzzball
Coach
Posts: 621
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:22 pm

Re: Potential XFL HC - Wade Phillips?

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:13 pm

4th&long wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:43 am
GregParks wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:44 am
He should have no problem getting another NFL DC job.
I agree, but does he really want an 11.5 month job in the NFL or a 6 month max job in the XFL.

I brought up Wade not because he got let go, but because of his age. Are mid 70's former DC/OC/HC's a potential target for XFL due to the advantage of a short/concise XFL season offers?
I would think so. Steve Spurrier's another example of someone in that situation and he did great in the AAF.

The one thing that might be a bit of a hindrance is financial demands. Someone with NFL experience can demand about $1,000,000 a year.

4th&long
Quarterback
Posts: 305
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:27 pm

Re: Potential XFL HC - Wade Phillips?

Post by 4th&long » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:41 pm

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:13 pm
4th&long wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:43 am
GregParks wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:44 am
He should have no problem getting another NFL DC job.
I agree, but does he really want an 11.5 month job in the NFL or a 6 month max job in the XFL.

I brought up Wade not because he got let go, but because of his age. Are mid 70's former DC/OC/HC's a potential target for XFL due to the advantage of a short/concise XFL season offers?
I would think so. Steve Spurrier's another example of someone in that situation and he did great in the AAF.

The one thing that might be a bit of a hindrance is financial demands. Someone with NFL experience can demand about $1,000,000 a year.
Well HC with experience gets more than a $1mm in NFL but its definitely a legit point its $1-3MM vs 500k in XFL. Now in three years that could change if XFL does well.

That new jackazz in Carolina just paid Matt Rhule a king's ransom too

But the old adage is is it better to rule in hell or serve in heaven...?

Post Reply