XFL Rules revealed

XFL Football discussion.
MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent

Re: XFL Rules revealed

Post by MikeMitchell » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:10 pm

I listened to XFL Show’s interview with Dean Blandino. The XFL’s rationale for their rules is solid.

Just a note about the number of projected plays. The point after touchdown tries will be untimed downs. So no running clock during the attempts.

Something that I would have preferred is the actual recording of stats during conversion attempts. The NFL doesn’t record these stats for their individual players. Fantasy football recognizes successful two-point conversions in the individual stat sheet for players but the actual individual stats do not get recorded. The XFL will also not record individual stats during conversions.

So the yardage gained, completions, receptions, tackles, sacks, and interceptions will not be recorded for individual stats.

It’s a small thing but I would have counted these stats. To me, Cardale Jones completing a 10 yard pass to Eli Rogers for a three point conversion should be registered as a 10-yard reception/completion. On the flip side, a sack by Anthony Johnson during a conversion try should also count.

Just a small obscure gripe by me. Not a deal breaker. Just a personal preference.

Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:13 pm

Andibald wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:37 am
It looks like another clock winding penalty occurred last night. I hope the XFL has a solution for it.

The game clock should only run for a max of 25 seconds (after spotting the ball) before the play is run.
Well, I just had lunch with Dean Blandino. Well, I had lunch while listening to his "Good Calls with Dean Blandino" podcast, where he talks about the Wildcard weekend in the NFL as well as a quick overview of some XFL rules at the end.

He does talk about the penalty loop holes re running extra time off the clock and gave a couple of general ideas to close it.

Overall, it's worth a listen as it gives good insight into his thought process re replay, OT, and PI as well as having the proper language in the rule book.

I made him pick up the tab after he talked about splitting the officiating crew for OT :D

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/ ... 461837170
It's gettin' hot in here...and we about to burn 'em up!

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion will have at least two losses ;)

Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:27 pm

Anyone hear anything remotely similar to this?

https://youtu.be/4o4rTdDrEls?t=1470

It sounds like he is saying that the replay official can retroactively disallow a score or change a ruling from much earlier in the game? This was something I heard nothing about...ever. This would be a disaster, in my opinion.

Thoughts?

Tank55
Coach

Post by Tank55 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:35 pm

I think that guy is confused/wrong. When they say replay can correct certain rulings "at any point in the game," they mean they can stop the game at any point (that is, not just under the 5:00 mark) to make the correction, not that they can make retroactive changes.

Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:36 pm

Tank55 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:35 pm
I think that guy is confused/wrong. When they say replay can correct certain rulings "at any point in the game," they mean they can stop the game at any point (that is, not just under the 5:00 mark) to make the correction, not that they can make retroactive changes.
I agree and hope you are correct. My jaw dropped when he said that.

MGB01
Coach

Post by MGB01 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:46 pm

Yeah the retroactive thing if it were taken that way just reeks way too much of Bottlegate, right call in the end but totally wrong in getting there. Why morons like Florio and others in the media continue to push Mike Pereira (director of officiating then) like he means anything when he has that on his resume (as well as Terry McAulay, the head ref from that game).................Blandino already has the "Coke at Jerry's" tag as well as being seen as Pereira's tagalong, he would do well to distance himself.

Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:47 pm

Punting strategy will be interesting. Based on what we know so far, here are some predictions.

I think teams might have to incorporate a "quick kick" style of punt in order to gain more territory on the kick. With the rules eliminating the gunners, setting up in a "going for it" type of formation should bring the safeties up enough to kick over them with a rugby style kick. To counter this, defenses may have to keep a player deep which would possibly open up the field for the offense. Anyone see the QBs practicing their rugby kicks? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cvW-CS ... atch_on_yt

On kicks from deeper in their own territory, kicking the ball out of bounds will eliminate any return and should maximize territory gained. Not the action play the league is hoping for but good strategy.

On a related note, I wonder if the XFL will have a free kick option on a punt fair catch? https://twitter.com/NFL/status/11833994 ... 617?s=20

Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:18 pm

Andibald wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:47 pm
Punting strategy will be interesting. Based on what we know so far, here are some predictions.

I think teams might have to incorporate a "quick kick" style of punt in order to gain more territory on the kick. With the rules eliminating the gunners, setting up in a "going for it" type of formation should bring the safeties up enough to kick over them with a rugby style kick. To counter this, defenses may have to keep a player deep which would possibly open up the field for the offense. Anyone see the QBs practicing their rugby kicks? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cvW-CS ... atch_on_yt

On kicks from deeper in their own territory, kicking the ball out of bounds will eliminate any return and should maximize territory gained. Not the action play the league is hoping for but good strategy.

On a related note, I wonder if the XFL will have a free kick option on a punt fair catch? https://twitter.com/NFL/status/11833994 ... 617?s=20
I hope I didn't ruin coach Zorn's strategy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T590ZUI ... atch_on_yt