XFL Rules revealed

XFL Football discussion.
nick1091
Receiver
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:16 pm

Re: XFL Rules revealed

Post by nick1091 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:23 pm

Good points Mike. I’d say alongside the rules tied to punting, it’s obviously designed to incentivize teams to go for it on 4th, meaning defenses holding firm on 3rd are more likely to stay on the field. Also, defenses will necessarily be on the field for more plays with the elimination of the extra point.

User avatar
MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent
Posts: 2133
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Re: XFL Rules revealed

Post by MikeMitchell » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:13 am

nick1091 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:23 pm
Good points Mike. I’d say alongside the rules tied to punting, it’s obviously designed to incentivize teams to go for it on 4th, meaning defenses holding firm on 3rd are more likely to stay on the field. Also, defenses will necessarily be on the field for more plays with the elimination of the extra point.
It’s a good point Nick. Not only are you defending shorter fields and more scoring plays, but you are also as a defense, going to be asked to defend on more downs.

Being a good defense or defensive player in the XFL will mean a lot. I think if I am an NFL scout, the highest graded defensive players will be on my radar. If you grade high as a corner in the XFL. I would sign that player.

User avatar
Andibald
Head Coach
Posts: 1067
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:38 pm

Re: XFL Rules revealed

Post by Andibald » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:20 pm

Andibald wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:53 pm
Blandino to be on the XFL Show this weekend.

https://twitter.com/XFLShow/status/1215 ... 79072?s=20

...and the preview answers Firecops question. Laterals will still be a live ball.
Pretty good stuff from the guys and Mr.Bandino re the rules.

One thing that I misread earlier that I found interesting, is the illegal procedure on the KO will come back to the KICKING teams 45yd line. A huge penalty.

Also mentioned there but not by Blandino, some confusion re the "coin toss". I did hear a clip somewhere of Mr Luck talking about it...He said the "coin toss" will take place 35-40 min before KO. Now, if I remember he said in the same clip that the home team gets the choice, so I think he was using "coin toss" generically and really meant that the home team will chose 35-50 min before KO.

I'm happy for them that they are the "official podcast" of the XFL but I hope they can be critical or at least present a bit more opposing views in the future. They seem to love everything the league does. At least the other guys let Allen have it a bit re the OT split field option.

*EDIT - Here is the clip of Mr Luck and the "coin toss" https://youtu.be/5xaiIGoeeuw?t=1005
It's gettin' hot in here...and we about to burn 'em up!

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion will have at least two losses ;)

User avatar
Andibald
Head Coach
Posts: 1067
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:38 pm

Re: XFL Rules revealed

Post by Andibald » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:34 pm

Andibald wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:20 pm
Andibald wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:53 pm
Blandino to be on the XFL Show this weekend.

https://twitter.com/XFLShow/status/1215 ... 79072?s=20

...and the preview answers Firecops question. Laterals will still be a live ball.
Pretty good stuff from the guys and Mr.Bandino re the rules.

One thing that I misread earlier that I found interesting, is the illegal procedure on the KO will come back to the KICKING teams 45yd line. A huge penalty.

Also mentioned there but not by Blandino, some confusion re the "coin toss". I did hear a clip somewhere of Mr Luck talking about it...He said the "coin toss" will take place 35-40 min before KO. Now, if I remember he said in the same clip that the home team gets the choice, so I think he was using "coin toss" generically and really meant that the home team will chose 35-50 min before KO.

I'm happy for them that they are the "official podcast" of the XFL but I hope they can be critical or at least present a bit more opposing views in the future. They seem to love everything the league does. At least the other guys let Allen have it a bit re the OT split field option.

*EDIT - Here is the clip of Mr Luck and the "coin toss" https://youtu.be/5xaiIGoeeuw?t=1005
This link has specific parts of the podcast linked for easy access to what you want to listen to. https://www.xfl.com/en-US/this-is-the-xfl-show-podcast
It's gettin' hot in here...and we about to burn 'em up!

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion will have at least two losses ;)

User avatar
Andibald
Head Coach
Posts: 1067
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:38 pm

Re: XFL Rules revealed

Post by Andibald » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:04 pm

Andibald wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:34 pm
Andibald wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:20 pm
Andibald wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:53 pm
Blandino to be on the XFL Show this weekend.

https://twitter.com/XFLShow/status/1215 ... 79072?s=20

...and the preview answers Firecops question. Laterals will still be a live ball.
Pretty good stuff from the guys and Mr.Bandino re the rules.

One thing that I misread earlier that I found interesting, is the illegal procedure on the KO will come back to the KICKING teams 45yd line. A huge penalty.

Also mentioned there but not by Blandino, some confusion re the "coin toss". I did hear a clip somewhere of Mr Luck talking about it...He said the "coin toss" will take place 35-40 min before KO. Now, if I remember he said in the same clip that the home team gets the choice, so I think he was using "coin toss" generically and really meant that the home team will chose 35-50 min before KO.

I'm happy for them that they are the "official podcast" of the XFL but I hope they can be critical or at least present a bit more opposing views in the future. They seem to love everything the league does. At least the other guys let Allen have it a bit re the OT split field option.

*EDIT - Here is the clip of Mr Luck and the "coin toss" https://youtu.be/5xaiIGoeeuw?t=1005
This link has specific parts of the podcast linked for easy access to what you want to listen to. https://www.xfl.com/en-US/this-is-the-xfl-show-podcast
Blandino also said he expects 165-170 plays per game. I think that might be a bit high for an average but could reach that total if plays are run more in a hurry up fashion, especially in the comeback period. Once offenses get going, things may go quicker than I expect but watching the NFL teams use much of the 40 second clock, I am thinking the XFL teams will do the same.
It's gettin' hot in here...and we about to burn 'em up!

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion will have at least two losses ;)

User avatar
LeoNY
Coach
Posts: 975
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 8:20 pm

Re: XFL Rules revealed

Post by LeoNY » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:11 pm

Andibald wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:04 pm
Andibald wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:34 pm
Andibald wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:20 pm


Pretty good stuff from the guys and Mr.Bandino re the rules.

One thing that I misread earlier that I found interesting, is the illegal procedure on the KO will come back to the KICKING teams 45yd line. A huge penalty.

Also mentioned there but not by Blandino, some confusion re the "coin toss". I did hear a clip somewhere of Mr Luck talking about it...He said the "coin toss" will take place 35-40 min before KO. Now, if I remember he said in the same clip that the home team gets the choice, so I think he was using "coin toss" generically and really meant that the home team will chose 35-50 min before KO.

I'm happy for them that they are the "official podcast" of the XFL but I hope they can be critical or at least present a bit more opposing views in the future. They seem to love everything the league does. At least the other guys let Allen have it a bit re the OT split field option.

*EDIT - Here is the clip of Mr Luck and the "coin toss" https://youtu.be/5xaiIGoeeuw?t=1005
This link has specific parts of the podcast linked for easy access to what you want to listen to. https://www.xfl.com/en-US/this-is-the-xfl-show-podcast
Blandino also said he expects 165-170 plays per game. I think that might be a bit high for an average but could reach that total if plays are run more in a hurry up fashion, especially in the comeback period. Once offenses get going, things may go quicker than I expect but watching the NFL teams use much of the 40 second clock, I am thinking the XFL teams will do the same.
They might be counting the other plays. Assuming that PAT’s are untimed.

User avatar
LeoNY
Coach
Posts: 975
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 8:20 pm

Re: XFL Rules revealed

Post by LeoNY » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:16 pm

Andibald wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:20 pm
Andibald wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:53 pm
Blandino to be on the XFL Show this weekend.

https://twitter.com/XFLShow/status/1215 ... 79072?s=20

...and the preview answers Firecops question. Laterals will still be a live ball.
Pretty good stuff from the guys and Mr.Bandino re the rules.



I'm happy for them that they are the "official podcast" of the XFL but I hope they can be critical or at least present a bit more opposing views in the future. They seem to love everything the league does. At least the other guys let Allen have it a bit re the OT split field option.

*EDIT - Here is the clip of Mr Luck and the "coin toss" https://youtu.be/5xaiIGoeeuw?t=1005
You don’t get to be the hand picked official podcast of the XFL if you don’t love everything the league does.

I enjoy the show but they leave a lot on the table. Last week, they spent 10 minutes talking about Tommy Lee Lewis with the Renegades. He’s never showed up since being drafted.

MGB01
Coach
Posts: 546
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:42 pm

Re: XFL Rules revealed

Post by MGB01 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:26 pm

Andibald wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:04 pm
Andibald wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:34 pm
Andibald wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:20 pm

Hi
Pretty good stuff from the guys and Mr.Bandino re the rules.

One thing that I misread earlier that I found interesting, is the illegal procedure on the KO will come back to the KICKING teams 45yd line. A huge penalty.

Also mentioned there but not by Blandino, some confusion re the "coin toss". I did hear a clip somewhere of Mr Luck talking about it...He said the "coin toss" will take place 35-40 min before KO. Now, if I remember he said in the same clip that the home team gets the choice, so I think he was using "coin toss" generically and really meant that the home team will chose 35-50 min before KO.

I'm happy for them that they are the "official podcast" of the XFL but I hope they can be critical or at least present a bit more opposing views in the future. They seem to love everything the league does. At least the other guys let Allen have it a bit re the OT split field option.

*EDIT - Here is the clip of Mr Luck and the "coin toss" https://youtu.be/5xaiIGoeeuw?t=1005
This link has specific parts of the podcast linked for easy access to what you want to listen to. https://www.xfl.com/en-US/this-is-the-xfl-show-podcast
Blandino also said he expects 165-170 plays per game. I think that might be a bit high for an average but could reach that total if plays are run more in a hurry up fashion, especially in the comeback period. Once offenses get going, things may go quicker than I expect but watching the NFL teams use much of the 40 second clock, I am thinking the XFL teams will do the same.
Maybe, but when I used to play Action PC! college I'd always have about 160-170 plays. Air Force and Navy, probably the closest parallel you could draw to the XFL in terms of a running clock, both averaged about 125 plays (offense and defense) per game. Extrapolate that to a 25 second clock combined with the comeback period you could get that easily.

User avatar
Andibald
Head Coach
Posts: 1067
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:38 pm

Re: XFL Rules revealed

Post by Andibald » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:49 am

MGB01 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:26 pm
Andibald wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:04 pm
Andibald wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:34 pm


This link has specific parts of the podcast linked for easy access to what you want to listen to. https://www.xfl.com/en-US/this-is-the-xfl-show-podcast
Blandino also said he expects 165-170 plays per game. I think that might be a bit high for an average but could reach that total if plays are run more in a hurry up fashion, especially in the comeback period. Once offenses get going, things may go quicker than I expect but watching the NFL teams use much of the 40 second clock, I am thinking the XFL teams will do the same.
Maybe, but when I used to play Action PC! college I'd always have about 160-170 plays. Air Force and Navy, probably the closest parallel you could draw to the XFL in terms of a running clock, both averaged about 125 plays (offense and defense) per game. Extrapolate that to a 25 second clock combined with the comeback period you could get that easily.
I won't complain if you both are correct and after reworking the numbers to add KO and XP, it's entirely possible.

Below is my breakdown from an earlier post. KO and XP would add to the total. KO's would use some time allotted for other plays but would still be a net gain.

With maybe 12 total KO's using 5 seconds of game clock you could add 8-10 more plays depending on when the KO occurs (taking away time for 2-3 plays during running clock and up to a full play per KO in CP) and, let's say, 8-10 XPs with no clock usage.

I'll add 15-20 plays (let's say 18) to the totals below to include the KO and XP plays. As you mention, teams could play quicker and get those (Blandinos) totals on average but I predict most will use at least 20 seconds of the play clock on average.
I'll assume a normal play will use 30 seconds of game clock (25 seconds of the 30-32 seconds play clock plus 5 seconds for the play). That would give us 30 plays in the 1st and 3rd quarters. For the 2nd and 4th quarters, the first 13 min will give is 26 plays each. Then we have the "comeback periods". If I am reading the rule correctly, it is possible to get up to 24 plays in at 5 seconds per play. It is also possible to have as little as 6 plays if the clock is running and all of the play clock is used (25 play clock minus the first five seconds in which the game clock is still stopped).

1st Qtr - 30 plays
2nd Qtr - 26 plus 6-24 plays
3rd Qtr - 30 plays
4th Qtr - 26 plus 6-24 plays

That gives us a range of 124 - 160 plays when teams use 30 seconds of game clock (play clock plus the play) prior to the comeback periods.

This could be higher if teams want to get the plays off quicker but I think this is a good estimation and a very respectable amount of plays.
To be fair, in all of my earlier play predictions, I was only thinking about plays from scrimmage but with the rules in place (KO and XP), it is more accurate to include all plays. I will predict a total of all plays to be 142-178 for an avg of 160 which is not far off from Blandinos numbers. A lot will depend on the score and who has the ball during the CP as well as the efficiency of the offenses.
It's gettin' hot in here...and we about to burn 'em up!

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion will have at least two losses ;)

User avatar
Andibald
Head Coach
Posts: 1067
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:38 pm

Re: XFL Rules revealed

Post by Andibald » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:37 am

It looks like another clock winding penalty occurred last night. I hope the XFL has a solution for it.

The game clock should only run for a max of 25 seconds (after spotting the ball) before the play is run.
It's gettin' hot in here...and we about to burn 'em up!

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion will have at least two losses ;)

Post Reply