XFL Football discussion.
XFL_FAN
Coach

Article From The Athletic Gives Insight Into Ticket Sales

Post by XFL_FAN » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:00 pm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theathlet ... %3famp

Takeaways:
St. Louis is the #1 XFL market

That passion is evidenced in more than 6,000 season ticket sales (tops in the eight-team XFL);

https://frntofficesport.com/season-ba ... tix-sxsw/

I'm not quite sure if this is a good or bad thing. From an NBA perspective, the Bucks got 10k season ticket holders, and they averaged 18k per game. Also according to the article above the NFL has around 80% of the same crowd every week due to season ticket sales. I'm not sure what this 6,000 figure means for St. Louis and the rest of the XFL. Does anybody know the season ticket sales numbers for the AAF?

Whether that is the right decision is clearly too early to say. The XFL’s Tampa, Dallas and Seattle franchises are showing strength, though New York and LA are struggling, sources said. St. Louis, the one market without the NFL, is the leader.

Apparently Tampa Bay is doing well too. Currently it seems as though the BattleHawks will average around 25k+ for their games as expected.
Playoffs are still in sight ;)

GDAWG
Coach

Re: Article From The Athletic Gives Insight Into Ticket Sales

Post by GDAWG » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:31 pm

So for those that refuse to pay a subscription to the Athletic, what is the full gist of the article?

Tank55
Coach

Post by Tank55 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:30 pm

I've been digging for a little context. Here's a press release from 2000 which says that each team's goal was 7,500:
Preacher said it is XFL and team policy to not release exact sales numbers, but did acknowledge the Demons have more than doubled the league’s goal for each team, which is 7,500 season tickets.
http://www.all-xfl.com/sanfranciscodemo ... se07.shtml

Obviously, that was a long time ago and the landscape has changed; maybe there's a different target this time around. The markets weren't necessarily chosen to maximize attendance, although it's obviously important.

Rangersking669
Receiver

Post by Rangersking669 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:51 pm

XFL_FAN wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:00 pm

Takeaways:

That passion is evidenced in more than 6,000 season ticket sales (tops in the eight-team XFL);

I'm not quite sure if this is a good or bad thing. From an NBA perspective, the Bucks got 10k season ticket holders, and they averaged 18k per game. Also according to the article above the NFL has around 80% of the same crowd every week due to season ticket sales. I'm not sure what this 6,000 figure means for St. Louis and the rest of the XFL. Does anybody know the season ticket sales numbers for the AAF?

Whether that is the right decision is clearly too early to say. The XFL’s Tampa, Dallas and Seattle franchises are showing strength, though New York and LA are struggling, sources said. St. Louis, the one market without the NFL, is the leader.

Apparently Tampa Bay is doing well too. Currently it seems as though the BattleHawks will average around 25k+ for their games as expected.
I think a lot of people, in general, are unsure whether the league will last or not so low season ticket numbers are unsurprising

MGB01
Coach

Post by MGB01 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:47 pm

We've had two leagues faceplant in the last year, one of which only made it 80% of the way through, if we get legit crowds then it's a good start

Regular Joe
Running Back

Post by Regular Joe » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:52 pm

Rangersking669 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:51 pm
XFL_FAN wrote:

Takeaways:

I think a lot of people, in general, are unsure whether the league will last or not so low season ticket numbers are unsurprising
I don't think half the would be season ticket holders even really know the XFL exists yet. I think there will be a spike in ticket sales after the first weekend. People are going to have to see games on television. Most fans are casual sports fans. Right now, only hardcore sports fans are really aware of the XFL.
Your advertising here

4th&long
Quarterback

Post by 4th&long » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:38 pm

Regular Joe wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:52 pm
Rangersking669 wrote:
XFL_FAN wrote:

Takeaways:

I don't think half the would be season ticket holders even really know the XFL exists yet. I think there will be a spike in ticket sales after the first weekend. People are going to have to see games on television. Most fans are casual sports fans. Right now, only hardcore sports fans are really aware of the XFL.
That is a major issue.... Its 5 weeks to launch, the national ad campaign should be kicking in...

GDAWG
Coach

Post by GDAWG » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:50 pm

4th&long wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:38 pm
Regular Joe wrote:
Rangersking669 wrote:

That is a major issue.... Its 5 weeks to launch, the national ad campaign should be kicking in...
There was no mention of the XFL during the Vikings vs. Saints game yesterday

Rangersking669
Receiver

Post by Rangersking669 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:31 am

GDAWG wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:50 pm
4th&long wrote:
Regular Joe wrote:

Are we really surprised though? The XFL doesn't even have any footage to market. I have a feeling we'll see something towards the end of training camp after these simulated games go down. Besides, these announcements are sort of serving as marketing particularly with the upcoming rules announcement. I'd bet we see something on the CFP Final as well with that being on espn and being only 26 days away compared to 33 this Monday, and at least with the rules finally announced. Its a tricky balance because you want to get out ahead of kickoff but at the same time if you go too early you're left marketing with slogans, player and coach names, team branding, broadcasters, and rules...not a whole lot to go on in terms of really grabbing a national audience especially with kickoff still being a month away. I know there was an XFL commercial on the week 17 cowboys game also and we did have June Jones asked about it during the Hawaii Bowl. I'd have to imagine the NFL isn't doing the XFL many favors and as a result may be more restrictive in regards to airing playoff commercials. Maybe we get a fantasy announcement soon as well. Knowing Vince McMahon, they may have gone for putting commercials on the CFP Final and super bowl only just in attempt to maximize reach if they could get their ad approved by the NFL and NCAA, as each of the XFL's broadcast partners is showing these games. I could also understand them not wanting to market nationally too much to avoid overhype but selfishly I hope this isn't the case.

Regular Joe
Running Back

Post by Regular Joe » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:40 am

GDAWG wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:50 pm
4th&long wrote:
Regular Joe wrote:

They did that on purpose to see what we would do. 😜 I think by week 3 the casual fans will be aware.
Your advertising here