The XFL's lower bowl stadium strategy

XFL Football discussion.
GDAWG
Coach

Re: The XFL's lower bowl stadium strategy

Post by GDAWG » Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:41 pm

LeoNY wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:36 pm
The interesting thing is no Dallas in the XFL. No Stoops. Unless the XFL has a team in Oklahoma. Stoops was not going to coach in the league.
Stoops does help enhance the quality of the Renegades. I am only going with the history of pro football in Dallas that isn't the Cowboys and it's not good. The Renegades could easily buck that trend and be the one pro football team in Dallas that isn't the Cowboys that is a smashing success on and off the field. As I said, Dallas is like Chicago in regards to non-NFL pro football, it's history isn't good. That has been my whole point.

MGB01
Coach

Post by MGB01 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:14 pm

Tank55 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:59 pm
I wonder if the Vipers can get more people into Raymond James than are at this Bucs-Texans games. It looks awful.
Oh you mean that Jameis W-INT-ston isn't doing it?😁😁😁😁😁😁

Tank55
Coach

Post by Tank55 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:28 pm

I wouldn't be looking to indoor football for insight into how the XFL will perform in Dallas. This is a completely different animal.

GDAWG
Coach

Post by GDAWG » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:44 pm

We will see how the Renegades do because there really hasn't been a history of Dallas in outdoor leagues. I am not wishing for failure by any means, I am just cautious and I don't think there is anything wrong with that. We don't have a history of supporting any of the teams outside the Big 4 well.

MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:40 am

GDAWG wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:44 pm
We will see how the Renegades do because there really hasn't been a history of Dallas in outdoor leagues. I am not wishing for failure by any means, I am just cautious and I don't think there is anything wrong with that. We don't have a history of supporting any of the teams outside the Big 4 well.
I get that GDawg. I am cautious when it comes to the entire XFL. I think expectation levels need to be tempered all across the board. Pro Football is a different animal than other sports but the points made in this thread are valid. FC Dallas in MLS has averaged 14,000 fans per game this year. Can the Renegades equal or better that for their 5 home games during the season? We are going to find out. I like the Renegades as a brand and the people they have in place. I don't know how the Renegades could do any better in terms of building a team from scratch. With Stoops, Mumme, Moose and everything else. Obviously, promotion and marketing are going to be key.

Firecop
Quarterback

Post by Firecop » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:49 am

Speaking of marketing and such, has any one heard of any radio broadcast deals having been made yet? This is a topic that I haven't seen anywhere. Also, it appears to me that the lower bowl of CLF is virtually sold out for the home opener, any clue as to how tickets sales overall are going?
Direct from the Dragon's Lair

MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:02 pm

Firecop wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:49 am
Speaking of marketing and such, has any one heard of any radio broadcast deals having been made yet? This is a topic that I haven't seen anywhere. Also, it appears to me that the lower bowl of CLF is virtually sold out for the home opener, any clue as to how tickets sales overall are going?
I have been in contact with people inside the league and within Elevate Sports. I don’t have numbers but the preliminary ticket sales for most teams have reallybeen good. The two markets that are a bit worried about ticket sales are NY and LA.

I think that’s where marketing and promotions come into play. The league is operating under a budget but of course NY and LA would love for the league office to ramp up promotions. I think January is going to be an interesting month to monitor from that perspective. Thus far, most of ticket sales have been driven by using social media and some local grassroot efforts.

GDAWG
Coach

Post by GDAWG » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:53 pm

MikeMitchell wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:40 am
GDAWG wrote:
I get that GDawg. I am cautious when it comes to the entire XFL. I think expectation levels need to be tempered all across the board. Pro Football is a different animal than other sports but the points made in this thread are valid. FC Dallas in MLS has averaged 14,000 fans per game this year. Can the Renegades equal or better that for their 5 home games during the season? We are going to find out. I like the Renegades as a brand and the people they have in place. I don't know how the Renegades could do any better in terms of building a team from scratch. With Stoops, Mumme, Moose and everything else. Obviously, promotion and marketing are going to be key.
The marketing for the Renegades have been more by far than the WNBA's Dallas Wings (who's marketing has been non-existent but they somehow do well in attendance), and more than FC Dallas but (obviously) lower than the Big 4. Landry Jones and Oliver Luck have done interviews on the Fox Affiliate. The XFL is always mentioned when Stoops is interviewed by any of the local radio or TV stations. Moose hasn't really done any interviews, but that's because he's been busy with his regular work as an announcer for Fox NFL games.

Whether or not they can eclipse the attendance for FC Dallas though remains to be seen.

Tank55
Coach

Post by Tank55 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:02 pm

Skepticism is healthy; using semi pro outfits as relevant data points is a mistake. Even with MLS, which is much more relevant: FC Dallas has to move inventory for what, 17 regular season dates plus friendlies and USOC? Including mid week games? 14K for the Renegades over five games on weekends would be a disaster, IMO. Luck's already on record that 20K minimum is the expectation for all markets.

XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:27 pm

MikeMitchell wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:40 am
GDAWG wrote:
I get that LA is struggling with ticket sales, that was expected. But I'm surprised that NY is struggling too. Hopefully St. Louis, Seattle and the rest of the league can help carry the attendance load. Oliver Luck did say a 20k+ average per game league wide is the goal, I believe the league can get that.
Playoffs are still in sight ;)