Should the XFL use the WWE to promote their league?

XFL Football discussion.
LeoNY
Coach

Should the XFL use the WWE to promote their league?

Post by LeoNY » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:57 pm

I know that there is a temptation to avoid associating the XFL with any aspect of the WWE based on how the first go round worked out for the XFL, but I think it only makes sense for the XFL to promote during WWE events and television. Perhaps even on their network. I almost wish that the WWE network had old XFL games on it.

I saw a video a few months back where an XFL ad played during a WWE raw commercial break for the live audience, and it surprisingly got a very strong pop from the crowd.

I was wondering how everyone here felt about it. I think it makes sense for the XFL to use the WWE to promote their product. It’s free advertising. Where I would draw the line is any wrestling storylines or angles being set up where like Seth Rollins is going to confront Brock Lesnar at an XFL game or something along those lines.

MarkNelson
XFLBoard Correspondent

Re: Should the XFL use the WWE to promote their league?

Post by MarkNelson » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:02 pm

I still don't think they should have any cross-over promotions that include the WWE. It might be tempting, but I think they XFL should avoid it.

GregParks
XFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:09 am

What struck me about the TV deal with ESPN/ABC and FOX is that ESPN retained streaming rights. I thought that was interesting given the presence of WWE's own streaming platform. But the XFL is only going to survive if they get a major TV deal in three years, so it wouldn't make sense to have the ability to stream it on the WWE Network unless they were replays of the game during the week like the NFL Network does. I don't know if NBC or the other networks actually "own" the original XFL footage or if WWE does, which could be a complication to re-airing them on the Network.

If WWE keeps the promotion of the XFL unobtrusive, as suggested by Leo in the original post, then I wouldn't have a problem with it. Commercials during live events, etc. That's fine. Keep it low-key. I think WWE went too far last time trying to get it over on WWE TV. Wrestling fans generally don't like anyone from other forms of sports or entertainment "interfering" in their world of wrestling, which is why even some popular celebs or mentions of outside non-wrestling organizations get booed by live crowds. You don't want to put the league in a position to seem unpopular by mentions of it being booed on TV. I'm surprised to read the positive reaction to the XFL videos that Leo writes about, as everything I've read about those videos airing is that they've gotten largely negative reactions. I'll be attending a house show in Ft. Myers in Monday so I may be able to see first-hand the reaction.

For the XFL, they should have nothing WWE-related on their end. It may be tempting for Vince to cross-promote, especially if the XFL becomes successful. But in order to establish itself as legitimate, the league really needs to keep its distance from pro wrestling, which so many sports fans want no association with. The XFL being "too much like pro wrestling" was one of the reasons the original failed, so no reason to invite those comparisons again.
@gregmparks

Firecop
Quarterback

Post by Firecop » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:38 am

I agree 100% with Greg on this; the risk/benefit of cross promotion between the XFL and WWE weighs far too heavy on the risk side. There should be plenty enough hype (of the Google sort) on the networks showing the actual games to duffice.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair

Firecop
Quarterback

Post by Firecop » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:39 am

I agree 100% with Greg on this; the risk/benefit of cross promotion between the XFL and WWE weighs far too heavy on the risk side. There should be plenty enough hype (of the good sort) on the networks showing the actual games to suffice.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair

LeoNY
Coach

Post by LeoNY » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:24 pm

GregParks wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:09 am
What struck me about the TV deal with ESPN/ABC and FOX is that ESPN retained streaming rights. I thought that was interesting given the presence of WWE's own streaming platform. But the XFL is only going to survive if they get a major TV deal in three years, so it wouldn't make sense to have the ability to stream it on the WWE Network unless they were replays of the game during the week like the NFL Network does. I don't know if NBC or the other networks actually "own" the original XFL footage or if WWE does, which could be a complication to re-airing them on the Network.

If WWE keeps the promotion of the XFL unobtrusive, as suggested by Leo in the original post, then I wouldn't have a problem with it. Commercials during live events, etc. That's fine. Keep it low-key. I think WWE went too far last time trying to get it over on WWE TV. Wrestling fans generally don't like anyone from other forms of sports or entertainment "interfering" in their world of wrestling, which is why even some popular celebs or mentions of outside non-wrestling organizations get booed by live crowds. You don't want to put the league in a position to seem unpopular by mentions of it being booed on TV. I'm surprised to read the positive reaction to the XFL videos that Leo writes about, as everything I've read about those videos airing is that they've gotten largely negative reactions. I'll be attending a house show in Ft. Myers in Monday so I may be able to see first-hand the reaction.

For the XFL, they should have nothing WWE-related on their end. It may be tempting for Vince to cross-promote, especially if the XFL becomes successful. But in order to establish itself as legitimate, the league really needs to keep its distance from pro wrestling, which so many sports fans want no association with. The XFL being "too much like pro wrestling" was one of the reasons the original failed, so no reason to invite those comparisons again.
Very good post and a strong argument against cross promotion.

I need to find the video that was posted a few months back of an XFL ad getting a good response at a Raw show. It was posted on Twitter of someone trying to call out the WWE for saying that the wrestling side would not be involved with the football league. In cross over fashion.
Last edited by LeoNY on Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LeoNY
Coach

Post by LeoNY » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:26 pm

Here is one of the videos, I saw. I found the Twitter post from May.

https://twitter.com/HeymanBeast64/statu ... 59265?s=20

MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:35 pm

GregParks wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:09 am

The streaming deal is a curious one with the networks. It has intrigue in how the games/league are utilized on those services. Would the XFL draft or any other type of content be placed on ESPN or FOX's streaming platforms. I guess that remains to be seen.

As for the original posters question. The XFL has to tread carefully in how they cross promote if at all with the WWE. Promotion and marketing can be very costly. Having a successful entertainment property like the WWE as a potential vehicle to promote the league is tempting for sure. Any promotion/marketing has to be done in a very subtle way, as to avoid any potential issues. Low-key is the right way to go. I can see live WWE events in XFL markets being used to promote the league.

The original XFL was all over WWE TV. It helped get the word out and draw in wrestling fans to games but everyone knows how the perception of a WWE styled football product hurt the league's credibility in their first run.

The current XFL wants to appeal to families rather than the "cool crowd". So I can see some loose marketing at WWE live events, where those are mostly family attended events.

We could see quite a bit of XFL ads during Smackdown on Fox and the other way around. Fox will be promoting XFL games which will air a day after Smackdown.

johnnyangryfuzzball
Quarterback

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:14 am

MikeMitchell wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:35 pm
The original XFL was all over WWE TV. It helped get the word out and draw in wrestling fans to games but everyone knows how the perception of a WWE styled football product hurt the league's credibility in their first run.

The current XFL wants to appeal to families rather than the "cool crowd". So I can see some loose marketing at WWE live events, where those are mostly family attended events.

We could see quite a bit of XFL ads during Smackdown on Fox and the other way around. Fox will be promoting XFL games which will air a day after Smackdown.
That's a crucial point to be made here: this is not the Attitude Era anymore. The XFL looked like sex and violence at the time because then-WWF looked like sex and violence... and it didn't really sell that well for football. But now, even WWE has moved away from that kind of product.

I do remember quite clearly when the New XFL was announced last year that Vince said he was going to keep a certain level of sports entertainment in the mix, just not the same kind that there was in 2001. There's bound to be some cross-promotion, I'm sure. Vince is out to make some money off this venture and he's going to use the venues he has access to to rebuild that brand recognition, and that includes WWE, of course.