Name announcements this week?

XFL Football discussion.
XtremeFanForever
Running Back

Name announcements this week?

Post by XtremeFanForever » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:02 pm

I might be too far behind on the latest news and rumors, but I realized this coming Wednesday/Thursday are literally the two slowest days of the calendar year in American sports. Baseball's all-star break is over but games haven't started up again. Dead time for NBA, NFL, and NHL off-seasons. It's why ESPN always puts the ESPY's on during this week.

Wouldn't this coming Wednesday/Thursday be the perfect time to announce team names? Would it be too quick of a turnaround since the league doesn't have trademarks in place for seven of the teams?
Defending Champs

LeoNY
Quarterback

Re: Name announcements this week?

Post by LeoNY » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:09 pm

It’s possible. Most are guessing after the last showcase but if it’s before. It could be a mid week thing. Tease it on a Monday or Tuesday. Unveil it on a Wednesday or Thursday.

MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent

Re: Name announcements this week?

Post by MikeMitchell » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:23 am

After listening to trademark attorney Josh Gerben on the ‘This is The XFL Show’ podcast. You get a sense as to how complicated the trademark process really is.

Setting aside the creative process of choosing names, branding strategies, the logos and the 8 different color schemes. The legal process is very difficult. There are several hurdles to actually getting a name to become your legal property.

I am hoping that if we don’t get the team names this week. That the league does something similar to what they did with the city reveal. Tease it ahead of time. Even if we don’t get the names this week. It would be cool if they set the reveal date a week out like they did with the eight team cities.