St Louis Summer Showcase

XFL Football discussion.
User avatar
MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent
Posts: 1919
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Re: St Louis Summer Showcase

Post by MikeMitchell » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:26 am

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:28 am
MikeMitchell wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:07 pm
Then there’s Matt McGloin. A former teammate of Cook’s. McGloin played at Penn State. 29 years old. Undrafted. He’s got some NFL starts under his belt but hasn’t seen playing time since 2016. McGloin has bounced around the NFL as a backup with Philly, Houston and was cut by KC last September.
I'd be impressed if they landed McGloin. He did pretty well in his limited playing time in the NFL.

Cook, not so much.
That’s a fresh take. Cook certainly has a lot of backers. Particularly MSU fans.

I like McGloin as well. He’s one of the names, I mentioned in my post about potential league quarterbacks back in late April. He’d be a good veteran pickup. The question with him, is if he is moving on from his football life. McGloin has a good head on his shoulders and might be positioning himself for life after football.

User avatar
MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent
Posts: 1919
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Re: St Louis Summer Showcase

Post by MikeMitchell » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:49 pm

Former Nebraska Quarterback Tommy Armstrong received an invite to workout, but as a safety. He initially balked at the invite and didn’t accept. The league may have pulled the invite

GDAWG
Coach
Posts: 626
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:15 pm

Re: St Louis Summer Showcase

Post by GDAWG » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:02 pm

MikeMitchell wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:49 pm
Former Nebraska Quarterback Tommy Armstrong received an invite to workout, but as a safety. He initially balked at the invite and didn’t accept. The league may have pulled the invite
Probably it's because he wanted to play QB.

XFLInSTL
Receiver
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu May 16, 2019 3:17 pm

Re: St Louis Summer Showcase

Post by XFLInSTL » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:05 pm

GDAWG wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:02 pm
MikeMitchell wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:49 pm
Former Nebraska Quarterback Tommy Armstrong received an invite to workout, but as a safety. He initially balked at the invite and didn’t accept. The league may have pulled the invite
Probably it's because he wanted to play QB.
He wasn't awful in college by any means. He'd probably be an okay backup or third stringer, maybe a Team 9 guy.
St. Louis Battlehawks

User avatar
MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent
Posts: 1919
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Re: St Louis Summer Showcase

Post by MikeMitchell » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:21 am

GDAWG wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:02 pm
MikeMitchell wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:49 pm
Former Nebraska Quarterback Tommy Armstrong received an invite to workout, but as a safety. He initially balked at the invite and didn’t accept. The league may have pulled the invite
Probably it's because he wanted to play QB.
I spoke to his camp. That's where, I got the info from initially. Once Armstrong reneged on working out at a position other than Quarterback. The invite lapsed on him, when he didn't accept it.

BengalErnst
Receiver
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:10 pm

Re: St Louis Summer Showcase

Post by BengalErnst » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:53 am

I believe he is the current starting QB for the Nebraska Danger in the IFL

User avatar
MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent
Posts: 1919
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Re: St Louis Summer Showcase

Post by MikeMitchell » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:16 pm

BengalErnst wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:53 am
I believe he is the current starting QB for the Nebraska Danger in the IFL
He is. I understand where Tommy Armstrong is coming from. He's been a QB his whole life. He wants to continue to be one. Armstrong was named the Indoor Football League Offensive Rookie of the Year for 2019. Indoor football may best suit his talents.

I still would have accepted the invite. When you are an aspiring pro football player. Your window and options are very limited. Tommy Armstrong was allocated to The Salt Lake Stallions in the AAF, but he wasn't selected in their protect or pick draft and was subsequently released. There's always the CFL option down the road, playing overseas, and perhaps if another pro league like the Freedom Football League gets up and running. He can pursue that route.

When a league like the XFL is out there with strong financial backing and partners. It presents an opportunity that is very rare. You have nothing to lose by working out. The league has plenty of film on Armstrong as a QB, because of his athleticism, they probably want to see him work out at another position. You got nothing to lose really. There are a lot of quarterbacks like Armstrong, that made long pro careers by being versatile. Look at Ray Lucas, Brad Smith and Antwan Randle El. All had long productive careers, because they carved out positions as good role players.

Even if my desire is still to play quarterback after working out for the XFL. I would still meet with the coaches and the league. What's the worst that can happen? (barring injury of course). You kill the workout at safety and the league offers you a contract. Then you can decide whether or not, you want to accept it. These doors are almost always closed and in the rare instances, that they are open. You might as well walk inside before the door closes permanently on you forever. That's just my take on it.

GDAWG
Coach
Posts: 626
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:15 pm

Re: St Louis Summer Showcase

Post by GDAWG » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:58 pm

MikeMitchell wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:16 pm
BengalErnst wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:53 am
I believe he is the current starting QB for the Nebraska Danger in the IFL
He is. I understand where Tommy Armstrong is coming from. He's been a QB his whole life. He wants to continue to be one. Armstrong was named the Indoor Football League Offensive Rookie of the Year for 2019. Indoor football may best suit his talents.

I still would have accepted the invite. When you are an aspiring pro football player. Your window and options are very limited. Tommy Armstrong was allocated to The Salt Lake Stallions in the AAF, but he wasn't selected in their protect or pick draft and was subsequently released. There's always the CFL option down the road, playing overseas, and perhaps if another pro league like the Freedom Football League gets up and running. He can pursue that route.

When a league like the XFL is out there with strong financial backing and partners. It presents an opportunity that is very rare. You have nothing to lose by working out. The league has plenty of film on Armstrong as a QB, because of his athleticism, they probably want to see him work out at another position. You got nothing to lose really. There are a lot of quarterbacks like Armstrong, that made long pro careers by being versatile. Look at Ray Lucas, Brad Smith and Antwan Randle El. All had long productive careers, because they carved out positions as good role players.

Even if my desire is still to play quarterback after working out for the XFL. I would still meet with the coaches and the league. What's the worst that can happen? (barring injury of course). You kill the workout at safety and the league offers you a contract. Then you can decide whether or not, you want to accept it. These doors are almost always closed and in the rare instances, that they are open. You might as well walk inside before the door closes permanently on you forever. That's just my take on it.
I doubt the Freedom Football League ever kicks off. They have yet to announce team logos and colors (despite announcing team names), coaches, stadiums, broadcasting deals or even how they are going to get players, despite the fact that they have said that they will kickoff two months after the XFL does. The XFL is ahead of them in all of those aspects except for team names, logos and team colors. All they have announced are the social platforms for the league and the former players involved, most of whom were nobodies in the NFL. They don't even have a money guy.

The XFL is even ahead of them in regards to getting players. Neither league has signed anybody yet, but at least the XFL has these showcases. The FFL hasn't even announced tryouts for players. Again, they have not announced the team colors or logos despite having team names, and no coaches, no stadiums or no broadcasting deals. The Freedom Football League is unlikely to kick off.

User avatar
MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent
Posts: 1919
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Re: St Louis Summer Showcase

Post by MikeMitchell » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:07 pm

GDAWG wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:58 pm
MikeMitchell wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:16 pm
BengalErnst wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:53 am
I believe he is the current starting QB for the Nebraska Danger in the IFL
He is. I understand where Tommy Armstrong is coming from. He's been a QB his whole life. He wants to continue to be one. Armstrong was named the Indoor Football League Offensive Rookie of the Year for 2019. Indoor football may best suit his talents.

I still would have accepted the invite. When you are an aspiring pro football player. Your window and options are very limited. Tommy Armstrong was allocated to The Salt Lake Stallions in the AAF, but he wasn't selected in their protect or pick draft and was subsequently released. There's always the CFL option down the road, playing overseas, and perhaps if another pro league like the Freedom Football League gets up and running. He can pursue that route.

When a league like the XFL is out there with strong financial backing and partners. It presents an opportunity that is very rare. You have nothing to lose by working out. The league has plenty of film on Armstrong as a QB, because of his athleticism, they probably want to see him work out at another position. You got nothing to lose really. There are a lot of quarterbacks like Armstrong, that made long pro careers by being versatile. Look at Ray Lucas, Brad Smith and Antwan Randle El. All had long productive careers, because they carved out positions as good role players.

Even if my desire is still to play quarterback after working out for the XFL. I would still meet with the coaches and the league. What's the worst that can happen? (barring injury of course). You kill the workout at safety and the league offers you a contract. Then you can decide whether or not, you want to accept it. These doors are almost always closed and in the rare instances, that they are open. You might as well walk inside before the door closes permanently on you forever. That's just my take on it.
I doubt the Freedom Football League ever kicks off. They have yet to announce team logos and colors (despite announcing team names), coaches, stadiums, broadcasting deals or even how they are going to get players, despite the fact that they have said that they will kickoff two months after the XFL does. The XFL is ahead of them in all of those aspects except for team names, logos and team colors. All they have announced are the social platforms for the league and the former players involved, most of whom were nobodies in the NFL. They don't even have a money guy.

The XFL is even ahead of them in regards to getting players. Neither league has signed anybody yet, but at least the XFL has these showcases. The FFL hasn't even announced tryouts for players. Again, they have not announced the team colors or logos despite having team names, and no coaches, no stadiums or no broadcasting deals. The Freedom Football League is unlikely to kick off.
I agree. That's why, I would have accepted the invite.

GDAWG
Coach
Posts: 626
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:15 pm

Re: St Louis Summer Showcase

Post by GDAWG » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:10 pm

As for Tommy Armstrong, I wonder if he got any NFL tryouts coming out of college? If he did, I wonder what position the NFL team that tried him out used him as?

Post Reply