Re: More Negativity about XFL St. Louis

Post by GDAWG » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:11 pm

MikeMitchell wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:09 pm
Shooter McGav1n wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:54 pm
MikeMitchell wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:29 pm

It's all about the players right now. With 4 showcases left, The Spring League starting tomorrow through Thursday, with the XFL there, scouting players and testing rules. Then it's Friday in LA and Saturday in Seattle.

All the team names are coming all at once in July. It could be right after the final Showcase in Missouri.
I think you’re right, we’ve heard team names will come out mid to late July.
My best guess, the Monday after the St Louis showcase they’ll announce a press conference for later in the week to announce team names, so we’re looking at probably July 18th. They won’t want to announce anything before the showcases, as it would overshadow the press coverage for those events. So they the give St Louis showcase story the weekend, and then Monday make their announcement of a press conference. This gives them a couple of days for the news to get out, so everyone can tune in to the name reveals. Thursday ends up being the best day because it gives them ample time for word to spread without announcing on Friday when many people are focused on other things. All of this happens right before NFL training camps really get underway and the attention goes to the NFL.
Everyone in the league told me July, before I was at the showcase, and that's what they told me at the NY showcase. Any delay would destroy all hope for the team name crowd.

There are two dry spells for the league. The second to last Showcase in Tampa on the 29th of this month. There is a two week break between that showcase and the one taking place in Missouri on July 13th. That's the first dry spell. The next is after the last showcase on 7/13. There's a two week window before the final round of game and rule testing with the Spring League on July 28th through the 31st. That takes place in San Diego. So from what I was told, all the names are going to be released at once, it will be in July, and that it will most likely be at a special event. Nothing like the September AAF youtube voice over reveals last year.
I hope the names, logos and colors will be announced before NFL training camps kick off.

steinerfhc
Running Back

Post by steinerfhc » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:44 pm

Shooter McGav1n wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:05 pm
GDAWG wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:56 pm
Even if the hire is someone with ties to the city, people are still going to want the team to have ties to the Greatest Show on Turf.
They’re just going to have to get over that. Trying to reunite the 1999 St Louis Rams isn’t going to win football games. At the end of the day exciting football and winning games is what will attract fans.
While true at the end good football will attract but if you want the league to be successful from the start, you need something for a fan to say "Hey, I'm going to attend this XFL game." Early on because if you can't draw a crowd, it won't last. Nobody says they need a 99 Rams reunion but they need something that connects the fans to the team to get interest started. Create some buzz for it. Even if you add just ONE player from that era, would make a difference. Bruce alone in anyway shape would help. It's not like he not around. Hell, he doing a baseball event in a couple of weeks. Even if they get him to promote it, would be a huge thing but the guy also has a great football mind.

GDAWG
Coach

Post by GDAWG » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:48 pm

QUESTION: Do you expect the XFL to play at the MLS stadium once it's complete? It would look better in a 20,000-seat stadium compared to a 65,000-seat dome.

BENFRED: I've not heard any mention of that. And I doubt it, especially considering the group that runs the Dome was a big reason the XFL came to St. Louis in the first place.

I don't think the MLS crowd is rushing to help the XFL crowd. The XFL is on the outside looking in when it comes to the St. Louis pro sports fraternity. That's one of the many challenges the XFL faces here.
https://www.stltoday.com/sports/xfl-in- ... 39a97.html
QUESTION: What's the biggest challenge the XFL faces in this market? Will it be competing with the Blues and Cardinals for media attention? Trying to succeed as a football team in a city that has a reputation for not caring about football?

BENFRED: Yes to the first part. Objection to the second.

St. Louis cares about football, and only the Rams and those they convinced believe otherwise.

But there is a bad taste about pro football in this area, due in part to how the Rams left, and I don't think it's really fair to compare the XFL interest that does or does not arrive to interest in football at large.

The XFL is a start-up. Some will be interested in it, but many will not, no matter how the team plays. The XFL's challenge is to make folks care.

Follow-up: Why is the XFL left out of the sports fraternity here? Do the Cards and Blues not want to promote a potential football rival in their market?

BENFRED: I don't know that it's intentional or designed. The MLS group has ties through Enterprise to the Blues, and the Blues and Cardinals are close. The XFL is more of an outside entity, a branch of a national league that decided to plant its flag here. For example, we've seen the Cardinals and Blues lend support to the MLS effort in various ways. We have not seen any of the three do anything promoting XFL.
https://www.stltoday.com/sports/xfl-s-b ... f3d43.html

MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:30 pm

GDAWG wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:11 pm
MikeMitchell wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:09 pm
Shooter McGav1n wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:54 pm

I think you’re right, we’ve heard team names will come out mid to late July.
My best guess, the Monday after the St Louis showcase they’ll announce a press conference for later in the week to announce team names, so we’re looking at probably July 18th. They won’t want to announce anything before the showcases, as it would overshadow the press coverage for those events. So they the give St Louis showcase story the weekend, and then Monday make their announcement of a press conference. This gives them a couple of days for the news to get out, so everyone can tune in to the name reveals. Thursday ends up being the best day because it gives them ample time for word to spread without announcing on Friday when many people are focused on other things. All of this happens right before NFL training camps really get underway and the attention goes to the NFL.
Everyone in the league told me July, before I was at the showcase, and that's what they told me at the NY showcase. Any delay would destroy all hope for the team name crowd.

There are two dry spells for the league. The second to last Showcase in Tampa on the 29th of this month. There is a two week break between that showcase and the one taking place in Missouri on July 13th. That's the first dry spell. The next is after the last showcase on 7/13. There's a two week window before the final round of game and rule testing with the Spring League on July 28th through the 31st. That takes place in San Diego. So from what I was told, all the names are going to be released at once, it will be in July, and that it will most likely be at a special event. Nothing like the September AAF youtube voice over reveals last year.
I hope the names, logos and colors will be announced before NFL training camps kick off.
I am a die hard NFL fan. Personally, I am more interested in what is going on with the XFL this summer than NFL training camps. I will be paying attention to both but the league building stuff with the XFL is so much fun. I realize that I may be in the minority but I am more interested in preseason games this year because of the XFL.

Firecop
Quarterback

Post by Firecop » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:14 pm

Great point Mike, the XFL will make the preseason much more interesting but in my opinion, so will the training camps. I know I will be watching the Seahawk camp very closely to see who might becoming available and throughout the preseason as well.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair

MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:07 pm

Firecop wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:14 pm
Great point Mike, the XFL will make the preseason much more interesting but in my opinion, so will the training camps. I know I will be watching the Seahawk camp very closely to see who might becoming available and throughout the preseason as well.
Thanks. Camp is going to be very interesting. The league has already said that they are going to have scouts at all 32 NFL camps. Obviously that extends to the preseason games.

Cut down day is going to be fascinating. It usually takes awhile for NFL rosters to settle even after all the cuts are made and practice squads are put together. There is so much maneuvering by NFL teams especially in the first few weeks of the regular season. So I think October makes sense for an XFL draft because there will be some players on the fence before deciding to sign on with the league.